News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GVoice on Obitalk and Gtalk on computer connects slightly differently

Started by anshuman26, June 21, 2012, 11:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anshuman26

Hello there,

Till now, I was always under the impression that gtalk on the computer connects exactly the same way as Gvoice on Obitalk. However, this does not seem to be the case.

Recently, a friend of mine who purchased obi is encountering an issue that gtalk works fine in his computer but the does not work on Obitalk (it keeps saying "Connecting to ipaddress"). He is connecting from the same router and is using Google DNS. One thing, we noticed that Gtalk was connecting via port 443 on the computer as opposed to a different port on Obitalk. This means, that if there was a firewall that blocked ports like 19305 but kept 443, 80 open, then Gtalk would work on the computer but would not work on Obitalk.

Has someone else faced a similar issue. Is there a way to make obitalk talk to google servers EXACTLY the same way as gtalk on the computer???

pc44

Hi anshuman26,

Has your friend ever been able to successfully use Google Voice with his Obi at this same location (same router)?  If he hasn't, then perhaps we need to double-check all of the GV settings (i.e. username, password, etc).

Also, keep in mind that the Obi does not work well with GV if you are logged into Gmail's Google Chat at the same time on your PC.  So, you may need to logout/disconnect on the PC completely before the Obi can connect to GV.

Hopefully someone else with this issue can also chime in,
pc44

anshuman26

To replicate what my friend had undergone, I tried doing the following test.

I purposely blocked all ports except 53, 80 and 443 on my router (E3000). My Obi and the computer connects to the ISP via the E3000 router. After this setup, I noticed that my computer can still connect to gtalk (over port 443) and I can make voice calls as well. However, the obi fails to connect to google voice. To avoid issues relating to being signed in to the same account from two different locations, I made sure I was signed in from only one client at a time. As soon as I remove the blockage of the other ports, Obi starts to connect to gtalk.

This just indicates that the Obi does not use the EXACT ports / protocols to connect to google as that of the gtalk client in the computer. This seem to mean that the gtalk client in the computer is more versatile and more resistant to different kinds of networks and firewalls.

Is there a way to make Obi connect to gtalk via port 80 or 443?