News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Ownership Transfer

Started by ferricoxide, June 15, 2012, 06:08:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ferricoxide

Looked through the FAQ and didn't see anything that seemed to answer my question. If I've missed something obvious, feel free to slap me and point me in the right direction...

A month or so ago, I got an Obi110 device. I am rather pleased with it, for the most part. My only complaint being that it's not super well-suited for a multi-occupant home. It looks like the 202 will be a better device to share with my wife.

That said, I think that my existing Obi110 device would be better suited for use by my widowed mother. It's simple enough in setup and ongoing use that my technophobe mother would be able to use it and I could save her on monthly phone fees. My only concern is that, aside from the device factory reset procedures, how does one unregister the device from my Obi account?

This concern comes from the fact that, when I tried to register my wife's Obi account to the 110, I'd gotten a message saying the device was already registered. I need my mom to be the device-owner after I give it to her and want to make sure that I can re-associate the device with her account.

Ostracus

You should be able to delete it, then register it under her account.

jimates

You can delete it from your account but you will still have to do a factory reset before Obitalk will allow it to be added to another account. If the device isn't reset, Obitalk will prompt you to do so when you try to add it.

Rick

Quote from: ferricoxide on June 15, 2012, 06:08:11 AM
Looked through the FAQ and didn't see anything that seemed to answer my question. If I've missed something obvious, feel free to slap me and point me in the right direction...

A month or so ago, I got an Obi110 device. I am rather pleased with it, for the most part. My only complaint being that it's not super well-suited for a multi-occupant home. It looks like the 202 will be a better device to share with my wife.

That said, I think that my existing Obi110 device would be better suited for use by my widowed mother. It's simple enough in setup and ongoing use that my technophobe mother would be able to use it and I could save her on monthly phone fees. My only concern is that, aside from the device factory reset procedures, how does one unregister the device from my Obi account?

This concern comes from the fact that, when I tried to register my wife's Obi account to the 110, I'd gotten a message saying the device was already registered. I need my mom to be the device-owner after I give it to her and want to make sure that I can re-associate the device with her account.

Just a word of caution.  My mother may be like yours based on your description - she can't program a VCR or DVR, much less a box like the OBI.  While I would love to save money on her phone bill, I can't contemplate getting rid of the POTS line, and if the OBI wasn't working when she tried to make a long distance call I'd never hear the end of it.  Nor I want to be tech support for her if there is an issue, no amount of savings in the world is worth that...   :D

Ostracus

Sounds like a good reason FOR the Obihai portal.  ;)