News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Slow Internet

Started by Wahya69, June 17, 2012, 08:58:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wahya69

I have the Obi110. I am currently utilizing an AT&T, DSL dry loop to my house, meaning I have DSL without home phone service. I have a hub in my closet where the main data and voice line comes in and is then distributed to the the phone jacks in my home. When I first bought the Obi, I had it connected to my router and a dual handset cordless phone hooked to the Obi. All worked fine. I decided to disconnect AT&T's voice line at the hub in my closet and connect the outgoing line from the Obi to send dial tone to all of the phone jacks in my house. Phone service is still great, my internet upload speeds have not changed, but my download speeds have been cut from an average of 5 mbs to less than 1. I cannot stream netflix, websites load like I was using dial up, etc. Other than disconnecting the Obi from the hub, is there a way to fix this problem?

QBZappy

Wahya69,

Quote from: RonR on May 15, 2012, 05:10:06 PM
It's a long shot, but since you're out of things to try...

The following procedure will change the OBi Ethernet port from 10 mb/s half-duplex to 100 mb/s full-duplex:

1. Dial *** 0

2. Enter option 27 and press #

3. Press 1 to set a new value

4. Enter a value of 1 and press #

5. Press 1 to confirm/save

6. Hang up

7. Wait for the OBi to reboot

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Wahya69

QBZappy,

Thanks for the reply. I actually did find another post with those instructions after submitting mine. It did not seem to make any difference with my internet speeds. I'm starting to think that this device was not designed to be used the way I am trying to use it. At least not without consequences. 

QBZappy

Wahya69,

Does your router have any QOS settings that need to be adjusted?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pc44

Hi Wahya69,

With DSL dry loop, you typically don't have to bother with DSL filters.  However, are you sure that your existing home phone wiring is not connected in some way to a telephone service elsewhere or even to your DSL line in some way?

I'm not sure why your internet speed would be affected by simply plugging in your existing home phone wiring to the OBI phone port.  So I am wondering if there is any connection between the existing home wiring and your DSL dry loop line that could be causing some sort of interference.  My two cents.

Hopefully someone else will have some smarter ideas!  [EDIT: See posts above and below mine ;D]
pc44

Stewart

Confirm that when you disconnect the OBi Phone port (leaving Ethernet and power connected), your download speed returns to normal.

If so, then try a DSL filter between the Phone port and your house wiring.  Try it both forwards and backwards, i.e. "line" end connected to OBi and (if that doesn't help), with line end connected to the house wiring.

Wahya69

Thanks for all of the replies; it is greatly appreciated. A while back I was having bandwidth issues, when I still had phone service coming to the house. The service tech came out and removed some sort of filter from the box on the outside of the house, because he said DSL did not like that filter, and then put a new filter on the hub inside the house. I do not know if that is causing the issue or not. I did remove the red and green pair from the posts labeled voice before I connected the Obi, but do not know if there is an unused voice pair connected somewhere else on that hub. And in response to Stewart, everything was running normally when I had the Obi connected to my router and a cordless phone connected to the Obi. The bandwidth issue started when I wired the Obi to the hub in my closet. However, I have not changed everything back to the old configuration to see if that would fix my bandwidth issues. I'm going to wait until my dad comes into town again, because he's been in the phone business his whole adult life (he's 80). Hopefully he can sort it out. Right now I have phone service, which my wife was demanding, and I have something that will suffice for internet for the time being. Again, thanks for all of the replies.