News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Enabling QoS on OBi202

Started by JohnBowler, June 16, 2012, 05:27:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnBowler

I've just reconfigured my system to use the OBi202 as my NAT/firewall, so it's directly connected to the internet and then plugged into a switch.  The switch (a NetGear GS108TP) does QoS, and I assume the OBi does QoS automatically for its own calls (though this is unclear), however I want it to do QoS for other audio/video too.

So, I just switched it on in the "expert" config; it seems to come preset with a lot of rules, but simply isn't enabled by default with OBiTalk.

This leaves one parameter that hasn't got an obvious setting: UpStreamBandwidth (I assume RestrictedBandwidth should be left as as to ensure phone call quality.)  UpStreamBandwidth is preset to 2048kbps, but my upload speed is (max) 1000kbps and my download speed is max 3000kps.  I set it to 1000kpbs since the telephone call goes in both directions, is this correct.

John Bowler

pc44

Hi John,

As QoS serves primarily for outbound traffic prioritization (that is, incoming packets from the internet/wan side of the router will likely not have QoS markers), yes, I believe you are correct in setting the UpStreamBandwidth to that of the total upstream bandwidth that you have available with your current internet service package.  The RestrictedBandwidth could then be also modified, as this should represent what portion of your total upstream you would like to restrict for QoS allocation.

Thanks for mentioning this; I need to update my settings!
pc44

JohnBowler

The OBi202 with the codecs it has can apparently consume at most 128kbps (two ports running the G711 codecs, the default, at 64000 bps each.)  While I would like download traffic for radio and TV to not suffer drop outs that isn't an issue here; there's next to no upload bandwidth requirement.  Somewhere Obihai suggest that GV needs 100kbps, presumably per channel, but it's not clear why, and my preferred provider, voip.ms, is running the G711 codecs, so my conclusion is that the "restricted" setting is currently irrelevant.

I guess all I want to tell the 202 to do is to drop everything for the phone, and I suspect that is what it is doing since I've got perfectly good calls (US and international) since I moved the OBi to be my gateway and stopped using GV.  (The GV problem seems to be dropouts, probably because the GV server is to far away; I selected a voip.ms server by pinging each possible server and selecting Seattle, which had an 80ms ping, 40ms better than the next candidate.)

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>