News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

POTS Setup

Started by jvan, March 15, 2011, 09:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jvan

I have only one phone and want to use it with my Obi110 and my existing POTS. 
Is it possible to just have the line in connected to my POTS system and no phone in the Obi110 phone jack?

QBZappy

Hi,

Why would you want to do that? Since you already have a phone, just connect it to the OBi. You will see that the phone will be able to operate as a normal phone (on steroids).
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jvan

because I want to still use it with the POTS line and I would like the phone based at a location away from the Obi110.

jimates

Once you get the Obi set up you won't need a phone plugged into it. If you add it to your Obitalk account you have to place a call from it and you will need a phone connected to it to get the IP address of the unit.

You can still use all the calling features of the Obi like remote calling, call forwarding etc.

QBZappy

jvan,

Hi

In that case you may want to fancy up your setup. Look here. It explains how to setup the OBi in a way that all the extensions in the house can use the features of the OBi.

http://michigantelephone.workbench.net/
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jvan

Quote from: jimates on March 15, 2011, 11:04:57 AM
Once you get the Obi set up you won't need a phone plugged into it. If you add it to your Obitalk account you have to place a call from it and you will need a phone connected to it to get the IP address of the unit.

You can still use all the calling features of the Obi like remote calling, call forwarding etc.
So once I have completed setup, I don't need a phone plugged into the Obi110 "phone jack".  I can just use my phone that is plugged into my POTS wall jack and connected to the Obi110 via the "line in jack"?

jimates

You need a phone connected to the PHONE port if you want to use the Obi at home with your home phones. Without a phone plugged into it you can only use it via a remote phone or Obion app.

you connect your phone line to the LINE port and then connect your phone to the PHONE port. This gives you usage of your existing phone line and any services configured on the Obi.

The basic method is to connect your incoming line to the LINE port and then backfeed your existing wiring by plugging the provided phone cord from the PHONE port to the existing wall jack. But before you can do this you must separate your incoming line from the rest of the existing wiring.

How to configure your existing phone wiring to the Obi cannot be provide by us. Too much depends on how the wiring is done. Do Not plug the PHONE port of the Obi into the wall jack if the jack is live. The phone port is not set up to accept voltage.

jvan

thanks jimates, that is what I will do.  Just need to go in the basement and seperate out the line to the kitchen where the phone will be.

jvan

See attached image for setup.

QBZappy

jvan,

I think you might need a line filter in between the line and the OBi.

jvan

Quote from: QBZappy on March 15, 2011, 01:21:15 PM
jvan,

I think you might need a line filter in between the line and the OBi.
The filter is the ones from the DSL provider, right?

RonR

Yes.  You need a DSL filter on all phone devices (except the DSL modem) that are connected to the incoming phone line the DSL modem is connected to.

grohl

Quote from: jimates on March 15, 2011, 12:31:12 PM

The basic method is to connect your incoming line to the LINE port and then backfeed your existing wiring by plugging the provided phone cord from the PHONE port to the existing wall jack. But before you can do this you must separate your incoming line from the rest of the existing wiring.

Had to read this post a few times.  As I hooked it up I did not think it would work, but now I can use every jack in the house.  Thanks!