News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Will OBI 202 work for me?

Started by ttiger211996, July 02, 2012, 12:31:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ttiger211996

I wanted to get some information from current OBI users with GV.  I have 4 GV numbers for various things, and this product seems like a perfect solution to tie them all together for me.  I wanted to confirm that it wouldn't have a problem handling 4 GV numbers, and also if I could receive faxes on the lines as well.  I notice that the product itself is fax friendly, but can I receive and send faxes utilizing GV numbers?  I haven't been able to find any of that information in the FAQ's.

If GV can't send and receive, what can I do to have a dedicated fax line that is inexpensive and would work with OBI?

Ostracus

I solved the incoming part with a free DID from Callcentric and set the line up as "fax". The system spits out PDF.

Stewart

For voice, the 202 should work quite well.  Each GV number could ring to one or both of the phone ports.  You can also use different ring patterns to know which number is being called.  Outgoing, each port would have a default account; you would dial a prefix to select an alternate.  It's also possible to set it up so calls to specific numbers would use a designated GV account.

I agree with Ostracus on Callcentric for incoming fax.  They support T.38, so you could also reliably send from your fax machine via the OBi ($0.0198/min.)  (The OBi is limited to four registrations, so one of your GV numbers would have to ring in e.g. via a free Callcentric number, and any outbound calls showing that caller ID would have to be made via CC or another paid service.)  However, for most uses, an web-to-fax or email-to-fax service is easier.  What kinds of documents do you fax?  Approximate usage?

ttiger211996

Thanks for the info.  It sounds like it's exactly what I'm looking for to be able to handle all of these lines.  My wife is the one who uses the fax quite a bit as she wants something real simple.  It's not much under 50 faxes a month at most, and generally around 25 pages a month.  I wish the 202 had a pots connection on it so I could hook up a duo, or magicjack plus to it for the faxes since they are both supposed to be fax friendly.  Is there ever a sale on Obi products?  Just wondering if it's worth waiting or if I should just pick one up now.

Stewart

Quote from: ttiger211996 on July 02, 2012, 05:26:31 PMI wish the 202 had a pots connection on it so I could hook up a duo, or magicjack plus to it for the faxes since they are both supposed to be fax friendly.
Why would you want that?  If you have a NetTalk or magicJack for fax, just hook it to your fax machine, separate from your phones.  However, for just 25 pages per pages per month, go first class and use Callcentric.  At ~$0.02/page, thats only about 50 cents/mo.

ttiger211996

I actually meant, that we have a line that we use with magicjack for voice as well, and wanted to use that as a fax line as well running through Obi to help manage it.  But as you've mentioned it would be easier to just run it straight through.

One last question.  When setting up with GV, can I still have GV ring my other phones such as my cell, or another land line, etc?

Felix

My wife and my cousin use ExtremeFax for faxing, and wouldn't switch to a fax machine in a hundred years. Incoming faxes are converted to PDF, and outgoing are working as print driver. I wanted to say that it costs $50/year, but I see that the price went up...

ttiger211996

Thanks for all the info and feedback.  The Obi community seems pretty involved. I'm in for one to try this out.  I'm sure I'll be back in here posting to get help to set it up properly once I get it.  :)

Rick

I receive and send faxes with no issues on my GV line, slow the transmission speed down and turn off error correction.

DrZKrewe

Quote from: Rick on July 03, 2012, 05:02:12 PM
I receive and send faxes with no issues on my GV line, slow the transmission speed down and turn off error correction.

Where / How do you turn off error correction?  On the Fax machine or in the Obi configuration?

Thanks!

QBZappy

DrZKrewe,

Quote from: DrZKrewe on July 10, 2012, 10:29:18 PM
Where / How do you turn off error correction?  On the Fax machine or in the Obi configuration?

Should be a setting on the fax machine.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.