News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Automatic firmware updates, another fine example for the history books

Started by QBZappy, July 03, 2012, 10:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

It seems like the big hardware manufacturers know what's good for us and want us to have the ability to setup our devices using the cloud, whether we want it or not. Here is another fine example. It seems they didn't learn anything from the recent OBihai experience. I suspect that some of these people may have previously been colleagues or acquaintances of OBihai management.

I hope OBihai people don't get inspired by the Cisco TOS agreement. There seems to be some nasty opt ins like the right to track users. After some pressure they commented on their decision to force a firmware upgrade.

http://www.broadbandreports.com/shownews/Cisco-Responds-to-Automatic-Snooping-Firmware-Backlash-120178

Quote from dslreports.com. Cisco defending their forced firmware update:

"We also wanted to clear up any confusion about Cisco's 'opt in' practices. Cisco Connect Cloud was delivered only to consumers who opted in to automatic updates. However, we apologize that the opt-out process for Cisco Connect Cloud and automatic updates was not more clear in this product release, and we are developing an updated version that will improve this process.

The blog post concludes that the company takes "feedback very seriously."So seriously that they've locked all comments for the blog post."

Well that's another way to do it. It was either that or delete it. :D
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

GregoryZ

CounterPath Corp. is also going Cloud with the release of X-Lite 5.

I installed it on my Laptop, and was quite annoyed when it kept asking me to sign up for the cloud service with my phone number.

I was unable to find and download v4 on the site.   ::)

However, I did have a copy of the install for v4 tucked away on my Desktop's drive.   8)

Why can't Companies stay out of our personal life!!!  Heck, you can't even get a Job anymore without a Credit Check as part of a Background check.  But that's a topic for a whole different Fourm. >:(

Home of the Free, my Azz!  Happy 4th. America.
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

pc44

QBZappy,

Good informational post.  We will probably see more of this as time moves on. :o

I think automatic updates are a good thing.  I also am leaning toward thinking that they should be enabled by default when shipped from the factory.

However, a method for disabling automatic updates and one that is clearly and simply spelled out to the end user should be provided.

I'm speaking to the issue of pushed updates in general and not specifically to an Obihai or Cisco product.

pc44