News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Addition of royalty free SILK (Skype ) wide band codec

Started by QBZappy, June 03, 2011, 07:08:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

For those wanting a wide band codec, it might be interesting to incorporate this into the OBi. It seems to be royalty free as well. It will especially help in countries where internet service is expensive and most users have low band width internet plans. If anyone needs affordable long distance calling it would be such regions. I am thinking about Central/South America. There are many people from that region that have taken up residence in Canada/USA that would gladly buy 2 OBis to connect to family in their country of origin.

"enables super-wide band audio and optimizes call quality, even in low network bandwidth environments"
http://blogs.skype.com/en/2009/03/silk_now_available_for_free.html

"SILK speech codec available for a royalty free license by third-party software and hardware developers"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SILK
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Augusto

And what about speex? I would guess it is no worse, and possibly better...

Doraemon

This is very interesting ;D
But What is the hidden aim of Skype? ???
Is SILK codec going to become available for SIP as well? ???

Augusto

I just found out that the codec profile options does not apply to Google Voice account. This, I think, is a much more serious issue than not supporting some particular fancy codec. I would like to preferably use G729 to make internet calls, for bandwidth reasons.

I looks like the Google Talk web client does not support G729, but, even so, being able to change the codec profile would be useful for some people. For example, the XMPP client my family uses (the excellent Empathy, by the way) does support G729.

Also, from what I read about Google Talk, they "are also evaluating the Speex codec". So Speex sounds like an interesting feature to be supported.

Update: The Obi device does not use G729 for Google Talk calls even if the peer does not accept G711. Thus the possible workaround of disabling G711U and G711A codecs on the peer google talk client does not work.

crazyk4952

Wideband codec support on the OBi device would not be beneficial. The OBi is an ATA (analog telephone adapter). The ATA is designed so that analog telephones can be used to place calls via the internet. However, standard analog telephones only use the frequencies between 300-3400 Hz and are NOT capable of using wideband codecs.

In order to take advantage of a wideband codec, both parties would need to use an IP-based telephone that supports wideband codecs and a provider that supports wideband codecs. You would not use an ATA.

The G.711 codec is the highest quality codec that can be used by an ATA and the OBi already supports this.

BigJake

But, what about those people who have bought phones capable of higher audio bandwidth calls?  How long are we artificially going to put up with the decades-old POTS 300 to 3.4K limitation?  Yes, the OBi is an ATA, but why can't we allow for people plugging HQ/HD phones into them.?

http://www.etsi.org/WebSite/Technologies/DECT.aspx (looks like the spec is good for wideband via DECT, and my new DECT phone certainly has a "HD" option in the config - though I must dig out what it actually does...)

It's a bit like having a HD TV decoder but viewing it via SCART to the TV.  Many consider it pointless, but as the owner of an old TV with only one HD input, I can still see a considerable increase in quality via SCART that many would tell me should not be there.  The 300-3.4K is the minimum a phone is supposed to handle, but it doesn't exclude phones doing better than that in reality.  After all, the 300-3.4K was caused by the old analogue lines and analogue PBXs en-route, not really the phones on the ends.  Why not make the WB CODECs an option in the OBi, at a higher priority than G.711, so that only when both ends are wideband capable will it be used.  It's likely that such scenarios will only exist when someone has made sure they have a decent phone plugged in at both ends.  You may say that not many callers can assume what the phone on the other end is, but many people are buying these for calling a shortlist of family/friends who may well also be using an ATA like the OBi, or a softphone which does indeed have a wideband CODEC (plus decent set of speakers/headset like a modern laptop).  I have an old B&O analogue phone on which I can certainly discern a wideband call from a G.711 one.

Is there a processing overhead on the WB CODECs that would be a limiting factor (i.e. is the processing power of the OBi good enough to process SPEEX or SILK?).  How much work is involved in just adding the codec as an option?

Thanks.

bradmajors

Quote from: crazyk4952 on August 21, 2011, 02:44:16 PM
Wideband codec support on the OBi device would not be beneficial. The OBi is an ATA (analog telephone adapter). The ATA is designed so that analog telephones can be used to place calls via the internet. However, standard analog telephones only use the frequencies between 300-3400 Hz and are NOT capable of using wideband codecs.

In order to take advantage of a wideband codec, both parties would need to use an IP-based telephone that supports wideband codecs and a provider that supports wideband codecs. You would not use an ATA.

The G.711 codec is the highest quality codec that can be used by an ATA and the OBi already supports this.
Ooma supports wideband codecs with some analog telephones:

http://www.ooma.com/products/ooma-purevoice