News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Newbie with a few questions

Started by tseward, July 05, 2012, 02:46:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tseward

I am a newbie so be gentle! 

First Softphone: I got everything working... But the softphone on my laptop using version xlite does not want to configure. Instructions were only for x-lite 4 but when I downloaded it the only version available was 5.  I got it to work initially but now the account fails to enable.  I have double check all the settings. but can not figure out why it wont work.  Q: Do you have to create an account via their softphone.com I have but again it worked originally. And yes I have OBIon installed and running.

Second Obi android app: I cant seem to make calls... When I dial number it flashes that it is connecting then drops... Do I need to use the ** function to make calls?

Third GV Line 2 ringer: My wife hates the ringer style. What is the process and steps to change the ringer to a default ring style. right now it gives two short burst type rings.

Thanks in advance I look forward to making this work!

jimates

You can download X-Lite 4.1 from me here http://thejmart.com/XLite41.zip

It is best to uninstall both the Obion app and the softphone, and start over.

Second Obi android app: I cant seem to make calls...
Are you using the same softphone number with your android app as you are on your pc? If you have a second Obitalk account with a different softphone number for your android, then your softphone will not have the same Obi as the default gateway. So calls don't know where to go.

You can set your SP2 to use the default ring profile that SP1 uses (ring profile A)
Voice Service -> SP2 service -> X_RingProfile
uncheck both boxes and select the ring profile from the drop down.

GregoryZ

Hey Jimates,

Thanks for the link to download the X-Lite v4!!

I had just posted elsewhere, the other day, that I had tried to get the program from Counterpath's Site, but it was no longer available.  Counterpath is only offering V.5, with Cloud support, and it's annoying.  :)

It may be a good thing to sticky that link for future users.

Thanks so much for thinking of others the way that you do, and the support you give to us all!

GregoryZ
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

tseward

Ok,

That is good to know. I did not realize that I had to have a separate obi talk account specific to Android and soft phone.  Where do you get the documentation that explains these subtle details of getting things with Obi working.  Is the forum really the best documentation?

jimates

tseward

Jimates,

I just need to clarify your response. I get what you are saying about being logged in to Obitalk Android and desktop x-lite and that they use the same account so thus they when a call comes in it does not know where to go. 

My question as a follow up is... When you say you need to create another Obitalk account are you just referring to  creating another obitalk online account with another softphone number are you saying that I need to buy another device and create another account with that new device.  OR can I just create another Obitalk account and add the soft number to any existing obi device?  Can you help clarify this point before I invest in another device? 

As a clarification on my side I am currently using my current Obi device with two GV numbers one home and one office.

jimates

You just sign up for another Obitalk account, and you will get another softphone number. You cannot add the other softphone number to an Obi.

Normally you would add the other number to the circle of trust of the Obi and use the services through the auto attendant. You should set up single stage dialing to use the services without going through the auto attendant.

You can use my leapfrog method to get more than one softphone number on the same default gateway. It is easy to do if you don't have an elaborate configuration.

With your Obi110 set as the default gateway for your Obion app you can just dial from the app same as from the phone connected to the Obi.

Default settings only allow for calling through the trunk that is designated as primary for outgoing calls. To use other trunks you must set up single stage dialing through any Obi trunk.

RonR put together a single stage dialing configuration for this purpose. Read this post and follow the link at the end of it.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3094.msg20656#msg20656

See this thread for a good explanation of multiple endpoints and my leapfrog method.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3550.0