News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mo832

Thanks, ianobi.

So it sounds like for most practical purposes, you are limited to one provider per sp line.

Do you know where you can get an outgoing provider that does not require registration?

Forgive me if my questions sound ignorant. I'm still new at this like many others.

tome

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on October 09, 2013, 08:51:33 PM
A few things to try.

1) Check that your CC forward number in GV is not set to Phone Type = Mobile (GV Settings > Phones > {Your CC Number} > Edit.
2) If #1 doesn't affect things, you can easily delete, save and then re create the CC Forwarding number.
3) Lastly, does your GV do the same thing when it forwards calls to other forwarding numbers (numbers other than your CC number)? I'd presume yes but it's worth checking.

I am having this same issue and my home phone no longer rings when my GV number (which is forwarded to my CallCentric number) is called.  On CallCentric I see that the call is coming in as anonymous from GV.  I am not sure why my home phone doesn't ring for these calls though.  I have an InboundCallRoute as below and removed the "|anon@@." from it, but it didn't help.

My InboundCallRoute on both SP1 (gv) and SP2 (callcentric) is: 
{(?|x|xx|xxx|xxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx|un@@.|anon@@.):},{ph}

I deleted my CallCentric number on GV and added it back (had to re-verify) but that didn't help either.  CallCentric is still showing it as anonymous.

Any other ideas on what I can do?

Thanks,
Tom

Wino

I am having exactly the same problem with Anonymous calls at Callcentric.  I have had this setup and working perfectly for many months and have changed nothing in my setup.  2 days ago this started happening?  If I call to my Callcentric number directly then the caller ID shows.

tome

Quote from: Wino on November 11, 2013, 09:58:40 AM
I am having exactly the same problem with Anonymous calls at Callcentric.  I have had this setup and working perfectly for many months and have changed nothing in my setup.  2 days ago this started happening?  If I call to my Callcentric number directly then the caller ID shows.

Yes, as a Heny posted, it appears to be a Google problem sending the call to CallCentric.  Not sure what can be done.  I am wondering if it is time to move everything over to Callcentric (or your favorite voip provider) before the impending doom of Google voice in May next year...

Tom

powaking

Yup, same thing happened to me this weekend. Been working fine then all of a sudden CC is receiving the calls as Anonymous.  CC had the following to say.  It was between this setup or MagicJack to just get basic phone service.  I went with Obihai but somehow wondering if just going with MJ would be my best solution at this point.

Hello,

We checked the trace logs for one of the calls and noticed the following:

Remote-Party-Id: <sip:xxxxxxx@xxxxxxx;user=phone>;party=calling;id-type=subscriber;privacy=uri;screen=yes

In particular the "Privacy=uri" portion which indicates that the call is being sent to us anonymous and we should not pass the caller ID information for the call. As per the SIP RFC our servers are then stripping the CID information when sending it to your device. This is beyond our control, Google needs to change or remove the privacy flag in order for the call to be forwarded with caller ID information.

If you have any other questions please feel free to contact us at any time, thank you.

Wino

Quote from: tome on November 11, 2013, 11:08:56 AMYes, as a Heny posted, it appears to be a Google problem sending the call to CallCentric.  Not sure what can be done.  I am wondering if it is time to move everything over to Callcentric (or your favorite voip provider) before the impending doom of Google voice in May next year...

I do believe you are right tome... I was hoping to ride it out until May, but not like this.  Hate to lose the GV toys, but I have several other Callcentric lines for my business (non-Obi) and they are great.

tome

By the way, does anyone know what in my InboundCallRoute posted earlier (or other configuration) is causing the Obi to not ring the phones?
Tom

Wino

Well the plot thickens... I have a GV number I use to ring both my Mobile (TMO) and my Office (Callcentric Paid DID) lines.  When that GV number is called it DOES pass the caller ID info to Callcentric... does not show Anonymous...  Same originating number calling my GV (Obi) is show as Anonymous.    Hmmmm...  It would seem this is either related to the free Callcentric DID being changed or GV...

SteveInWA

Hiya:

So, as per the Google Voice Forum thread that Tom linked, I escalated this to Google staff, and they opened a ticket on it.  I have no idea if they'll prioritize looking into it or not, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, I think that "the plot thickens":  I also have a paid CC DID, and forwarding from GV to that DID DOES pass caller ID through.  I think there might be more to it than Callcentric is seeing at first glance.  Makes me wonder if they have their infrastructure set up differently for their free DIDs.  Anyone who already reported this to CC want to escalate back to them?  I don't have a lot of extra time to deal with it at the moment.

OH, and by the way, this has nothing to do with OBi...  The calls show as "Anonymous" on my Callcentric call log, and they come through as "Anonymous" on my Gigaset IP phones, too (not routed through OBi).

tome

I don't even think calls coming from Google Voice to my CallCentric Free DID are even being forwarded to my Obi at all.  I see them logged at CallCentric (as Anonymous) but the call log and call status screens on my Obi do not show any incoming calls.  If I call my free did number directly they come in to the Obi fine.  As far as I can tell, I am not blocking Anonymous calls on the Obi, unless I am missing some configuration parameter somewhere?  But wouldn't it still show up as an incoming call or at least show up in call status?  I really wonder if this isn't a CallCentric issue.  I opened a support ticket, but don't have much hope of getting any other answer than it is GV's problem....

gderf

Check your configuration at CC for anonymous call blocking. If you have it enabled there the calls will die right there and your OBi will not ring.
Help me OBiHai PhoneOBi. You're my only hope.

tome

Quote from: gderf on November 11, 2013, 07:52:23 PM
Check your configuration at CC for anonymous call blocking. If you have it enabled there the calls will die right there and your OBi will not ring.

"Anonymous call rejection" is set to Off under Extensions -> Modifiy.  Is there somewhere else at CallCentric it could be?

PS:  I set up a "Call Treatment' specifying that Anonymous/Private calls should always be forwarded to my Default Extension.  That didn't work either....

SteveInWA

Quote from: tome on November 11, 2013, 07:49:04 PM
I don't even think calls coming from Google Voice to my CallCentric Free DID are even being forwarded to my Obi at all.  I see them logged at CallCentric (as Anonymous) but the call log and call status screens on my Obi do not show any incoming calls.  If I call my free did number directly they come in to the Obi fine.  As far as I can tell, I am not blocking Anonymous calls on the Obi, unless I am missing some configuration parameter somewhere?  But wouldn't it still show up as an incoming call or at least show up in call status? 

Tom:

This sounds like an issue unrelated to the anonymous caller ID bug.  Have you set up a call treatment to send inbound calls to your OBi's "extension"?  Callcentric added some complexity when they added the "extensions" feature.  If you have created extensions, you need to tell CC where to send inbound calls.

tome

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 11, 2013, 08:17:52 PM
Quote from: tome on November 11, 2013, 07:49:04 PM
I don't even think calls coming from Google Voice to my CallCentric Free DID are even being forwarded to my Obi at all.  I see them logged at CallCentric (as Anonymous) but the call log and call status screens on my Obi do not show any incoming calls.  If I call my free did number directly they come in to the Obi fine.  As far as I can tell, I am not blocking Anonymous calls on the Obi, unless I am missing some configuration parameter somewhere?  But wouldn't it still show up as an incoming call or at least show up in call status? 

Tom:

This sounds like an issue unrelated to the anonymous caller ID bug.  Have you set up a call treatment to send inbound calls to your OBi's "extension"?  Callcentric added some complexity when they added the "extensions" feature.  If you have created extensions, you need to tell CC where to send inbound calls.

Well, I can't say I have "set up a call treatment to send inbound calls to my OBi's extension".  I didn't make ANY changes before this problem started happening.  Looking at the CallCentric call logs this began (for me) sometime after 4:30pm and before 7pm on 11/8/13.  That is when every inbound call began to be marked as "Anonymous".  It had been working for me for months (years actually) and I have made no changes whatsoever.  Did extensions get implemented on 11/08?

Tom

SteveInWA

No, extensions were implemented over the summer.  http://www.callcentric.com/new/

I read your post several times, and I guess I am stumped now.  I tried to post a screenshot of my Callcentric extension routing page, but the Obitalk forum posting system said the attachments folder was full.  WTF. 

Anyhow, if you place a call to your GV phone number from some unrelated phone, and you see the inbound call in your GV account's history on your GV account's web page, and you see the inbound call show up on your CC account's log of calls (as Anonymous), AND you haven't blocked CC from ringing your extension (and I think you've confirmed all that), then it ought to ring your OBi-attached phone.  I hate to say it, but perhaps you should try resetting your OBi to factory defaults, as you might have done something to your configuration to cause this behavior.

Right now, my OBi-attached phones (and my IP phones) ring when the anonymous calls come in via the free DID, and (of course) they ring when calls come in to my other GV number via my paid DID, with Caller ID.  So, "anonymous" caller ID shouldn't interfere with calls being received on the OBi-attached phone, unless you have a configuration setting causing it.

BTW, thanks for your support over on the GV forum thread.  I gave up debating that guy -- people get blinded by "I deserve free beer for life", and it's just hopeless.

tome

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 11, 2013, 09:02:41 PM
No, extensions were implemented over the summer.  http://www.callcentric.com/new/

I read your post several times, and I guess I am stumped now.  I tried to post a screenshot of my Callcentric extension routing page, but the Obitalk forum posting system said the attachments folder was full.  WTF. 

Anyhow, if you place a call to your GV phone number from some unrelated phone, and you see the inbound call in your GV account's history on your GV account's web page, and you see the inbound call show up on your CC account's log of calls (as Anonymous), AND you haven't blocked CC from ringing your extension (and I think you've confirmed all that), then it ought to ring your OBi-attached phone.  I hate to say it, but perhaps you should try resetting your OBi to factory defaults, as you might have done something to your configuration to cause this behavior.

Right now, my OBi-attached phones (and my IP phones) ring when the anonymous calls come in via the free DID, and (of course) they ring when calls come in to my other GV number via my paid DID, with Caller ID.  So, "anonymous" caller ID shouldn't interfere with calls being received on the OBi-attached phone, unless you have a configuration setting causing it.

Thanks.  I am talking with CC support and they think it is something in my config in the Obi as well - they sent a log that shows calls are being sent and then rejected by my Obi.  I am going over the config with a fine tooth comb before doing a factory reset (ugh).

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 11, 2013, 09:02:41 PM
BTW, thanks for your support over on the GV forum thread.  I gave up debating that guy -- people get blinded by "I deserve free beer for life", and it's just hopeless.

Ah, didn't make the connection before.  No problem, and I agree.  I like all the finely honed arguments which keep people from just admitting that really they're pissed because the free beer is going away :-)

Tom

SteveInWA

;D

While you're troubleshooting with them, give 'em a hard time about their now-canned answer about anonymous CID...they've been pasting that same answer into multiple tickets, and something's fishy if caller ID does work on their paid DIDs.

tome

So I figured out that my specific problem is due to my InboundCallRoute which is:

Voice Services -> SP2 Serivce -> X_InboundCallRoute -> {(?|x|xx|xxx|xxxx|xxxxx|xxxxx|un@@.|anon@@.):},{ph}

The intention of this is to keep Unknown, Anonymous and random digit calls from waking us up at night.  It has worked fine up until now.   Simply removing "|un@@.|anon@@." is not enough.  I have to remove everything and set it to the Obi110 default which is "ph" and it to works, calls come in.

I would still like to prevent random numbers less than 7 digits (usually called by scanners, hackers, etc) from ringing the phones.  The Obi documentation on Inbound Call Route says:

caller := number OR embedded-digit-map OR ? OR @                  (?=anonymous, @=any number but anonymous)

So, perhaps the leading "?" is the actual problem.  Perhaps this is matching anonymous...

Tom

ianobi

This is a question of defining what we mean by anonymous!

"anon@@." is designed to match the actual word "anonymous". This is sent by some service providers when they receive no CallerID.
"?" will match an incoming call with no CallerID. Status > Call History > Peer Number will be blank.

This will stop any CallerIDs of less than seven digits:
Voice Services -> SP2 Serivce -> X_InboundCallRoute -> {(x|xx|xxx|xxxx|xxxxx|xxxxxx):},{ph}

There are other methods which may suit you better. For example search for the "Oleg method".