News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)

Started by pc44, July 11, 2012, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdb-

Quote from: tome on November 14, 2013, 07:06:22 AMWhen my network operations center closed an issue with "NTF", it meant it was a Bell issue and they wouldn't/couldn't tell us what failed.

That's been my experience the past 20+ years as well.

And even better, I could talk with the tech and they would usually tell me what went wrong or what they did to fix it (e.g. "somebody stole your pair").  Many times the baby bell NOC would still close the issue with NTF even tho I knew better.

unmesh

Quote from: slowbiscuit on November 12, 2013, 01:47:58 PM
Has anyone had the issue with free CC DIDs where inbound calls ring late or don't ring at all from GV?  It sure looks like a GV to CC handoff problem from what I can see.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6922.msg43663#msg43663
When I first set this up a few weeks ago, I tested the setup and it was working fine. Today, I called home and my kid did not answer the phone and it went to Google Voicemail. When I get home, she says it is because the phone did not ring. I tested it from my cell phone and she was right :(

Back to using GV directly configured for incoming on the Obi until this gets sorted out.

tome

Quote from: unmesh on November 19, 2013, 06:16:18 PM
Quote from: slowbiscuit on November 12, 2013, 01:47:58 PM
Has anyone had the issue with free CC DIDs where inbound calls ring late or don't ring at all from GV?  It sure looks like a GV to CC handoff problem from what I can see.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6922.msg43663#msg43663
When I first set this up a few weeks ago, I tested the setup and it was working fine. Today, I called home and my kid did not answer the phone and it went to Google Voicemail. When I get home, she says it is because the phone did not ring. I tested it from my cell phone and she was right :(

Back to using GV directly configured for incoming on the Obi until this gets sorted out.

It has been working fine for me since reported last.  It is working fine today.  I haven't seen any other report here or in Google Voice forum.  You likely have a different issue...
Tom

unmesh

Tried calling several times after seeing this response.

Sometimes it won't ring and will go directly to VM; other times it will ring once and go to VM. On the calling side, it appears to ring 5 times in all cases.

When it rings, the caller ID display is blank; no number or name.

The weird thing is that it used to work and I did not make any configuration changes on the Obi or on my GV account.

tome

Quote from: unmesh on November 19, 2013, 06:36:21 PM
Tried calling several times after seeing this response.

Sometimes it won't ring and will go directly to VM; other times it will ring once and go to VM. On the calling side, it appears to ring 5 times in all cases.

When it rings, the caller ID display is blank; no number or name.

The weird thing is that it used to work and I did not make any configuration changes on the Obi or on my GV account.

Does the CallCentric Dashboard "Calls Received" pane show the call?  If not then it isn't a CC problem - GV isn't passing it to CC.  If it shows it as "Anonymous" then it might be the problem discussed in this thread, but as I said no one else is reporting that and it isn't happening to me anymore.
Tom

unmesh

Calls are showing up correctly on the Callcentric Dashboard, both number and name.

SteveInWA

unmesh:

My two CC free NY DIDs receive calls forwarded from GV immediately.  I just tested them and I have no problems.  Does your CC DID ring immediately when you call it directly?

If the calls show up on your Callcentric dashboard, as tome mentioned, do they show as answered?  It sounds like you have an issue with your OBi and it's configuration or your broadband connection; not GV.

unmesh

Yes, CC DID does ring immediately if dialed directly.

The CC Dashboard does not seem to have a field that would show whether the call was answered. Where would I look for that information?

In any case, I was unable to successfully answer the call even in the cases where the called phone rang; by the time I did it, the calling phone was in GV Voicemail.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

unmesh

Also, all these calls are showing up in Google Voice call history as well.

tome

Quote from: unmesh on November 19, 2013, 06:58:51 PM

In GV click "Edit" for your CC number.  Then select Show Advanced Settings.  Is VM access "No" and Ring Schedule reasonable?

I assume these calls show up on the Obi call log as they should?

Tom

unmesh

Quote from: tome on November 19, 2013, 07:07:55 PM
Quote from: unmesh on November 19, 2013, 06:58:51 PM

In GV click "Edit" for your CC number.  Then select Show Advanced Settings.  Is VM access "No" and Ring Schedule reasonable?

I assume these calls show up on the Obi call log as they should?

Tom
VM Access is "No"
Ring Schedule is set to ring always
Calls show up in the Obi log which is a Ob110 with software 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)

FWIW, the CC status on the Obi shows up as
Registered (server=204.11.192.169:5060; expire in 42s)
where the number of seconds varies as I refresh the screen. Hopefully that is OK.

tome

Quote from: unmesh on November 19, 2013, 07:16:54 PM
VM Access is "No"
Ring Schedule is set to ring always
Calls show up in the Obi log which is a Ob110 with software 1.3.0 (Build: 2824)

FWIW, the CC status on the Obi shows up as
Registered (server=204.11.192.169:5060; expire in 42s)
where the number of seconds varies as I refresh the screen. Hopefully that is OK.

yeah, that's all good.  I hate to even suggest it, but have you reboot the Obi today?

Oh and if you are rebooting things...your router as well.  As SteveInWA suggested an issue with broadband could cause this.  There is some packet loss and so GV is grabbing the call and putting it in VM (speculation).

SteveInWA

We do see users with this symptom quite often over on the GV forum, but there are a lot of variables that can cause it, so it's hard to isolate the root cause.

If you want to do some objective testing, the only true test of your broadband's ability to reliably carry VoIP is this one:  http://myspeed.visualware.com  (basic speedtest websites don't measure all the parameters that impact VoIP)

Select the G.711 CODEC and test VoIP traffic.

unmesh

SteveInWA

Not very good.  Generally, you need a MOS of 4.0 or better to have reliable VoIP service.  I'd suggest working with your broadband provider to troubleshoot.

unmesh

Quote from: tome on November 19, 2013, 07:22:02 PM
yeah, that's all good.  I hate to even suggest it, but have you reboot the Obi today?

Oh and if you are rebooting things...your router as well.  As SteveInWA suggested an issue with broadband could cause this.  There is some packet loss and so GV is grabbing the call and putting it in VM (speculation).

All suggestions welcome!

Rebooting Obi did not cause any improvement.

Once kid is done with homework, will reboot gateway router.

unmesh

Quote from: SteveInWA on November 19, 2013, 07:45:30 PM
Not very good.  Generally, you need a MOS of 4.0 or better to have reliable VoIP service.  I'd suggest working with your broadband provider to troubleshoot.
Comcast is always fun to work with; they will probably try to upsell me to their Digital Voice ;D

FWIW, voice quality is good with either of GV or CC directly.

tome

Quote from: unmesh on November 19, 2013, 07:49:19 PM
Comcast is always fun to work with; they will probably try to upsell me to their Digital Voice ;D

You can count on that!!

unmesh

Quote from: unmesh on November 19, 2013, 07:47:08 PM
Quote from: tome on November 19, 2013, 07:22:02 PM

All suggestions welcome!

Rebooting Obi did not cause any improvement.

Once kid is done with homework, will reboot gateway router.
Rebooting the gateway router did not cause any improvement either.

unmesh

So I get myself an IPKall DID number and forward GV to that; works great!

Went back to the CC DID number; works great too.

Have no idea what happened previously but am not going to argue with success  ;D