December 12, 2017, 09:22:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: Callcentric and Google Voice Setup Guide (with CNAM)  (Read 584106 times)
vtsnaab

« Reply #260 on: December 05, 2017, 02:32:10 pm »

CC is very cool for allowing folks to have free numbers & I have an account there with no numbers in it at present - but considering adding a couple again, now.

I have used the path of GV=>CC=>phone before with their free numbers, and this seems to introduce some longer lag times than the Obi ever had;
Currently using GV=>GVGW=>phone with a SIP-only phone & it seems to have zero lag.

This makes me wonder if the current, permanent failure mode of my Obi110 is best 'patched' via one of the above, or some other option yet to be heard of ??

Thanks for any helpful replies.
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #261 on: December 05, 2017, 02:43:36 pm »

I'm also having some trouble with CNAM.

I have set up Callcentric with E911 and a New York phone number for the $1.50/mo + setup fee.
I have enabled Caller ID with name in the Callcentric dashboard
I have set Google Voice to forward to the Callcentric number
I have set up the Obihai 202 with Callcentric on SP3 (incoming only except for 911), and Google Voice on SP4

Since I am testing this out prior to pulling the plug on my landline, I currently have my landline phone forwarding to my Google Voice number, which is then forwarding to the Callcentric number.

So I've noticed something interesting ... when I call the Callcentric number directly from my cellphone, I get Caller ID with name as expected. However, when I call the Google Voice number that forwards to the Callcentric number, I only get the Caller ID number (no name - it just reports "Out of area" for the name).

Another odd thing ... I've subsequently tried to duplicate the Caller ID with name by calling the Callcentric number directly, and get an error that "the number that you have dialed has been temporarily disconnected." But when I call the Google Voice number, the call goes through without a problem (except for the lack of name in the Caller ID, of course).

Do I have an error in my setup?

Steve

I can't make sense out of what you meant in your post, and how your question relates to E911?  Perhaps I could just describe how it does work.

You have an inbound Google Voice number.  Google Voice is a call forwarding system.  You tell GV to forward your inbound calls to your Callcentric NY DID number.  You configure that CC DID as an SP on your OBi, using the OBiTALK web portal.  On the SP settings page, you check the box to use THIS SP for emergency calling.  This will modify your OBi's digit map to send calls with the digits 911 to the CC SP, even if the default is to use Google Voice for outbound calls.

As for CNAM:  Google Voice, by itself, does not do CNAM LIDB lookups.  All calls forwarded to Google Chat (which is what OBi devices use as a client to connect to your GV number) will only display the caller ID telephone number.  By forwarding the call to an actual telephone number whose carrier does do CNAM lookups (Callcentric in this case), THAT carrier is sending the CNAM to your OBi on that SP.

GPz1100

« Reply #262 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:21 pm »

@vtsnaab

We've been using GV-->CC-->obi for about 9 months now with the free DID.  Can't say we've experienced any noticeable lag.  Calls sound the same as they do when placing outbound calls directly through gv as far as lag/latency.  Maybe certain internet routes/isp's play a role.  Overall we've been very happy with the service.

Devices used - obi200 & obi202.
Strangelove

« Reply #263 on: December 05, 2017, 06:53:55 pm »

I'm also having some trouble with CNAM.

I have set up Callcentric with E911 and a New York phone number for the $1.50/mo + setup fee.
I have enabled Caller ID with name in the Callcentric dashboard
I have set Google Voice to forward to the Callcentric number
I have set up the Obihai 202 with Callcentric on SP3 (incoming only except for 911), and Google Voice on SP4

Since I am testing this out prior to pulling the plug on my landline, I currently have my landline phone forwarding to my Google Voice number, which is then forwarding to the Callcentric number.

So I've noticed something interesting ... when I call the Callcentric number directly from my cellphone, I get Caller ID with name as expected. However, when I call the Google Voice number that forwards to the Callcentric number, I only get the Caller ID number (no name - it just reports "Out of area" for the name).

Another odd thing ... I've subsequently tried to duplicate the Caller ID with name by calling the Callcentric number directly, and get an error that "the number that you have dialed has been temporarily disconnected." But when I call the Google Voice number, the call goes through without a problem (except for the lack of name in the Caller ID, of course).

Do I have an error in my setup?

Steve

I can't make sense out of what you meant in your post, and how your question relates to E911?  Perhaps I could just describe how it does work.

You have an inbound Google Voice number.  Google Voice is a call forwarding system.  You tell GV to forward your inbound calls to your Callcentric NY DID number.  You configure that CC DID as an SP on your OBi, using the OBiTALK web portal.  On the SP settings page, you check the box to use THIS SP for emergency calling.  This will modify your OBi's digit map to send calls with the digits 911 to the CC SP, even if the default is to use Google Voice for outbound calls.

As for CNAM:  Google Voice, by itself, does not do CNAM LIDB lookups.  All calls forwarded to Google Chat (which is what OBi devices use as a client to connect to your GV number) will only display the caller ID telephone number.  By forwarding the call to an actual telephone number whose carrier does do CNAM lookups (Callcentric in this case), THAT carrier is sending the CNAM to your OBi on that SP.

Sorry, it doesn't relate to E911 at all; I was just trying to describe how I have set up to Obi202. The E911 set up is as you describe.

The question I have (and this is why I'm on this thread) is about CNAM. For incoming calls, one would dial my Google Voice number, which forwards to the Callcentric number that is linked to the Obi202. Doing this, I see the telephone number of the original caller but not their name. However, if one calls the Callcentric number directly (thereby bypassing Google Voice), then I see the original caller's name and number.

My interpretation is that Callcentric is working correctly, but somehow the caller's name is being filtered when it travels through Google Voice (the number of the original caller still comes through). This seems counter to the experience of most people on this thread unless there was an error with Google Voice, or an error in the setup. Since I'm a newbie, I'm guessing it's the latter.

Hope that clarifies, and appreciate your help!

Steve
SteveInWA
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #264 on: December 05, 2017, 07:03:44 pm »

Ah, I see.  This sounds like user error:  I believe that your obi is still receiving the inbound calls from Google Voice via Google Chat/XMPP, not Callcentric.

Using a desktop/laptop web browser, go to the old, "Legacy" Google Voice Settings page.  Remove the check mark from the "Google Chat" entry.  If you have not already done so, add the Callcentric number as a linked, forwarding phone number, and add a check mark to it.  Now, your calls will go from Google Voice to Callcentric and ring on the Callcentric SP on your OBi.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: