News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Basic setup Q: Attach Obi to a "peripheral" handset in a multi-handset phone

Started by VSouthB, November 20, 2014, 12:46:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VSouthB

We currently use VOIP with TW Cable.  Our cable modem is connected at a site on the 2nd floor of our house since it is a central location to broadcast the WiFi signal (3 finished floors).  There is no phone jack at that site.  Are there any multi-handset wireless phones that would enable me to connect the Obi to a peripheral handset so I could put the main phone unit downstairs where we spend more time and would be able to review phone messages on the machine more readily?  Are there better solutions?

BigJim_McD

Quote from: VSouthB on November 20, 2014, 12:46:07 PM
We currently use VOIP with TW Cable.  Our cable modem is connected at a site on the 2nd floor of our house since it is a central location to broadcast the WiFi signal (3 finished floors).  There is no phone jack at that site.  Are there any multi-handset wireless phones that would enable me to connect the Obi to a peripheral handset so I could put the main phone unit downstairs where we spend more time and would be able to review phone messages on the machine more readily?  Are there better solutions?

VSouthB, 

Have you considered putting the cable modem and WiFi router downstairs, then using a Wireless Range Extender on the 2nd floor.

If your WiFi usage isn't extremly heavy upstairs, there are some very low priced Wireless N Range Extenders.  Our Cable Modem and Netgear R7000 WiFi router is in our basement.  I use a very low cost TP-Link TL-WA850RE  300Mbps Wireless N Range Extender for a stronger signal for my Wireless Printers and Chromecast device in my home office.  The TL-WA850RE currently is selling for $29.99 at Amazon.com.

If you require higher capacity from a WiFi Range Extender, many WiFi Routers can be configured to work as a WiFi Range Extender that would be paired with a base WiFi Router.  For Example, there are several Netgear Routers including the R7000 WiFi Router but at a higher cost (currently $189.99 at Amazon.com).   

The Netgear AC1200 High Power Dual Band Wi-Fi Range Extender would give high performace in the  middle cost rage (currently $108.99 at Amazon.com).

Many different brands and choices  are available online at various price points.
BigJimMcD

drgeoff

AsI understand it you would like to have the OBi on the first floor and the router on the second floor so you need a way to link the two.  If an ethernet cable is not practical you can use either Wi-Fi or Powerline.  I think the latter is not so common in the US.

If you Obi does not have a USB port (and thus no ability to take an OBiWiFi adaptor) or if reception by that tiny adaptor would be a problem, you could use a Wi-Fi to ethernet adaptor.  Sometimes called a 'gaming adaptor, 'Wi-Fi client adaptor, etc.

azrobert

If you have an old router that is compatible with dd-wrt firmware it can be converted to a bridge.

See: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=5229.0

Edit:
If you have an OBi2xx you can purchase a WiFi adapter for it.