News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

question about giving obi to friend

Started by teresannp, July 15, 2012, 07:38:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

teresannp

Hi,

I would have loved obi, but we moved to a rural area where the only available internet is a wireless isp that isn't fast enough for obi.  I already set it all up, registered and linked with google voice when i thought it would work.  I'd like to give the device to a friend.  Is there something I need to do as far canceling my obi or google voice account before I hand it over?

Thanks,

Teresa

QBZappy

teresannp,

The OBi should be able to work with speeds in the dial up range 56K using the G729 Codec. GV uses G711 codec. Some users here have mentioned using internet via satellite with the OBi.  Since you bought it with the intention of using it for phone calls perhaps before giving up you might consider a cheap voip service which handles G729 codec.

Quote from: teresannp on July 15, 2012, 07:38:34 AM
Is there something I need to do as far canceling my obi or google voice account before I hand it over?

If you decide to give it away, simply delete the OBiTALK account and reset the OBi unit. There is a small pinhole on the unit that you need to press down for about 30 seconds. As far as the GV account, there is no need to give that up. You can try to find some use for it at some future time.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Stewart

What goes wrong when you try to use the OBi?  If it's just a speed problem, the voice will be very choppy and perhaps unusable, but the called phone should still ring and there should be some audio in both directions.  If that is not the case, please explain the symptoms in detail.

If it really is a speed problem, please run a test at speedtest.net to a (relatively) nearby server and post the upload and download speeds obtained.

teresannp

My download is .55 mbs and my up is 1.09.  When I tried out the Obi my voice was cutting out so much callers couldn't understand me.  I called Obi and the help guy said that OBi wouldn't work well with a WISP. He didn't mention trying another VOIP.  I went ahead and signed up with the local phone company-monopoly.  So that's why I'm giving it to a friend with better internet.   

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Teresa