News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help Dialing 911

Started by bsdaiwa, August 30, 2012, 09:25:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

I installed an Obi100 in my daughter's home setting GV as the default and CallCentric as the second service. This is the only phone service in the house that has several children in it. GV does not provide 911 services but CallCentric does. I need to have GV as the default but would like to setup something that would allow the dialing of 911 without having to dial **2 to access CallCentric. All settings on the Obi have been left in their default settings.

Can anyone give me some guidance on this issue.

Thanks

CoalMinerRetired

I'm hoping someone else jumps in here. But I'll start by asking for some clarifications:

Q1: Is there a local, ten-digit number at your daughter's location that connects directly to the local 911 center? 

If yes, then the process is documented on here, if you are unsure which thread to follow reply back.

If no, I'll take a leap of faith and guess the way to do this is "digit map" 911 to "**2911", or simply route 911 to SP2 (your call centric service configured on ITSP B). That means when you dial the 911, the obi either remaps it to **2911, or routes 911 to SP2.

Someone else needs to jump in on the "if no" answer.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on August 30, 2012, 11:01:13 AM
I'm hoping someone else jumps in here. But I'll start by asking for some clarifications:

Q1: Is there a local, ten-digit number at your daughter's location that connects directly to the local 911 center? 

If yes, then the process is documented on here, if you are unsure which thread to follow reply back.

If no, I'll take a leap of faith and guess the way to do this is "digit map" 911 to "**2911", or simply route 911 to SP2 (your call centric service configured on ITSP B). That means when you dial the 911, the obi either remaps it to **2911, or routes 911 to SP2.

Someone else needs to jump in on the "if no" answer.

First, thanks for the help. There is no POTS line in the house, only the OBi100 setup using the cable, so based on that it seems that the "digit map" option seems to be the way to go. It that is correct I would ask for help in how to do that in a step by step process. I have some skills but really would need guidance doing this.

Thank you very much.

CoalMinerRetired

We have some miscommunication occurring. I understand there is no POTS line.

Let's reword the question

Q1: Is there a local, ten-digit number in your daughter's county, city, township or local municipality that, when dialed, connects directly to the local 911 center?

See 4th post here, by LostDog for explanation of how it is setup in Los Angeles: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3192.0

If you have such a ten-digit number, then it's easy to use a digit map to make 911 be sent out as 201-555-1212 (or whatever), since GV will allow you to dial a ten-digit number.  If no such ten-digit number, then you'll need to pursue the 911 > **2911 or <911:sp2> configuration.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on August 30, 2012, 11:46:13 AM

If you have such a ten-digit number, then it's easy to use a digit map to make 911 be sent out as 201-555-1212 (or whatever), since GV will allow you to dial a ten-digit number.  If no such ten-digit number, then you'll need to pursue the 911 > **2911 or <911:sp2> configuration.

I understand and will check on the 10-digit number as a backup. But, I would prefer to use the 911 > **2911 or <911:sp2> configuration because CallCentric is configured to send the home address when 911 is called. Can you help me configure the 911 > **2911 or <911:sp2>?

Google Voice is configured on SP1 and CallCentric is configured on SP2 and I used the automated system to configure both services and have made no changes to the unit so its settings are all the OBi defaults.

Thanks

CoalMinerRetired

Ok, see this thread, 1st post, the second "A" section, start where it says "Configuration for the Obi100"

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=339.0

Based on all the bakc and forth in tha thread, if it were me doing this, I'd figure out a way to positively test it without having the police roll out to your place for a "911 hangup call".  Not sure how to do that.

jimates

bsdaiwa,

everything can be done from the dashboard without changing anything in the configuration.

Click on the device in the list
Click on the gear icon to the right of the google voice account on SP1
make sure there is a check mark for "Make This Service the Primary Line to Call Out"
Click Submit
Click on the gear icon to the right of the CC account on SP2
Put a check mark in the option for "Use This Service for Emergency 911 Calls"
Click Submit

everything is then automatically configured.

You can check the settings in the Expert Configuration, by going to the phone port settings, SP1 Service should be selected for PrimaryLine.
Then look at the OutBoundCallRoute for the phone port
SP2 should be inserted after 911 ........li},{911:sp2},{**......

bsdaiwa

Thanks to both jimates and CoalMinerRetired for all your help. Prior to seeing the post from jimates I manually inserted the code. I called 911 and it worked.
I have another OBi and I followed jimates instructions on it and it inserted the code.
So either way works but I think the best way would be jimates.

Thanks again for help from both of you.