News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

comcast -> obihai

Started by houmi, July 18, 2012, 01:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

houmi

Hi there,

I recently got rid of my Comcast digital phone and thought to try the Obihai 101. When comcast initially connected the digital phone, they used a phone ling plug to connect their cable modem/phone box and made some changes in my phone box to route calls to all phone lines in the house (loop back or whatever they called it), can I do the same with the Obihai 101 ? I thought there are two ports in it a phone line port and a land line port. Is that latter that goes to the wall to connect the phone lines in the house ?

Also I have a single phone in the house connected somewhere in the kitchen and multiple receivers. So I don't have multiple lines.

Thanks, and looking forward receiving my Obihai 101 from Amazon.

Houman

N7AS

As you stated you had Comcast connect the phone port on their modem to the wiring in your home ...so I assume that your wiring is not connected to any outside PSTN provider. Then...all you have to do is disconnect the phone port of the Comcast modem from your home wiring and connect the OBi110 phone port to any phone jack in your home.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

MurrayB

If you have a central station monitored security system there are some wiring issues to be addressed.

houmi

N7AS:
no, it's not connected to a PSTN provider, I just think they did a loop back from that plug to the remainder of the house, so I'll connect the phone port, thanks. I just wanted to know the difference between those two ports.

MurrayB:
I had my alarm service switch me from using the phone line provided by Comcast to wireless service, so it's all good.

Pretty excited to give this a try,

thanks
Houman

houmi

Hello,

So I got the device today and been playing with it, I am able to make outgoing calls, but incoming calls go directly to google voice mail and do not ring the phone. I did quite a bit of search on the forum and did all of these, but still no go:

- Made one successful calls from within gmail using google chat.
- Checked the Box Google Chat (my gmail address) in Phones tab in Google Voice
- Made sure gmail or gv account is not open in a browser window while trying to receive calls to the Obi (I even went to details and logged off all sessions)
- Logged out of chat in gmail.
- Deleted TalkAPhone iOS App
- Made sure the X_InboundCallRoute for the google voice SP includes "ph". (Is only set to "ph")
- Checked for latest firmware and nothing available
- Checked OBITalk Settings for SP1 (Google Voice account) and it shows connected.
- Forwarded SIP/RTP ports in my WNDR3700
- Voicemail Access for my gmail address for Google Chat under Phones Tab is set to No.

So just wondering what else I may have over looked ? :)

Thanks,
Houman

houmi

Ok I figured it out as I typed the last email. :)

http://obihai.com/googlevoiceFAQ.html#07

My problem was this (not only I had to do it for the Google Chat, but also for my phone which was used to activate google voice)

The caller is using a phone that was used to authenticate this OBi device's Google Voice account. The symptom is the caller will always go to Google Voice voicemail and never ring the OBi's phone. The solution is:
   1. Go to Google Voice voice settings. The Voice settings
       selection is available from the top-right corner "gear" icon.
   2. From the "Phones" tab, select "Edit" on the phone from
       which you are calling.
   3. Select "Show advanced settings."
   4. Select "No" for "Voicemail Access."
   5. Select "Save" at the bottom of the page.