News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

new setup/small business

Started by vmcmahon, July 19, 2012, 08:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vmcmahon

Hello

I recently came accross this great product and have been trying to understand how it works and if it will work for me. Please bear with me if some of these have been asked before. I have read alot, and think I know what will work   - but am just trying to tie it all together in my head. I think the 202 is what will work for me. I am planning on getting 3 GV numbers and a fax line (Call centric?)

there are 2 ports, but the device has capabilities for 4 lines of service. Is it possible to hook one port up to a 2 line phone so that if primary line is busy, I set up forwarding to the second line, which would then ring on the second line of the phone? Would a splitter do this coming out of the first port?

For the second port, Do I need to dedicate it to a fax machine - or can I share it with a phone and fax?.
Will a google Voice number do this, or do I need a call centric number. ?

I want to buy this soon and get it going - really appriciate the help

thanks - Vinnie

jimates

When using a 4 wire cord and a 2 line phone, both lines are available from one phone port.
You can share the fax with a phone but remember that 4 services will share the same 2 phone ports that will be connected to the 2 line phone, so the fax will also ring one of the lines of the phone.

Some people get success faxing with google voice, some do not.

vmcmahon

Thanks Jimates, I guess I can try the faxing with GV before I order Call Centric. This clarifies alot

One more questions, IF I setup my GV number on the OBI, and lets say I want to make a call from my PC on the google chat system, using the same GV number setup on OBI - Can I still do this or no?

jimates

Some have reported success using the gmail chat and Obi at the same time, but more are unsuccessful. The Obi signs into your google account with your gmail credentials, when you open your gmail it will sign in last and therefor usually take precedence.

vmcmahon

So that being said, My primary GV Number is associated with my Business email (On Gmail) does what you say mean that if I am logged onto email, OBI may not work?

Stewart

Quote from: vmcmahon on July 20, 2012, 08:55:50 AM
So that being said, My primary GV Number is associated with my Business email (On Gmail) does what you say mean that if I am logged onto email, OBI may not work?
Correct.

You could either move your GV number to a different Gmail account, e.g. a new one created for the purpose, or have your OBi receive GV calls via e.g. a free Callcentric DID.  The latter would also give you inbound caller ID name.

vmcmahon

Quote from: Stewart on July 20, 2012, 11:14:05 AM
Correct.

You could either move your GV number to a different Gmail account, e.g. a new one created for the purpose, or have your OBi receive GV calls via e.g. a free Callcentric DID.  The latter would also give you inbound caller ID name.

Thanks

So I would just forward my GV Number to a Call Centric DID?. I already have a lot of marketing materials setup with my GV number so I do not want to change that. ?

Stewart

In GV, set up your CC number as if it were a landline phone, and turn off forwarding to Google Chat.

vmcmahon

Stewart,

Thanks for the reply. I have to ask tho, and this may be trivial, but how do I do that? - Set up my CC number as a landline in Google voice? Do I port my CC number to GV?. Appreciate the guidance. I found where tro turn off the forwarding.

thanks for your help

Stewart

First, get a new number from CC; they offer free numbers in New York state.  Next, set up SP2 on your OBi for CC and confirm that calls to the CC number reach your phone.  Then, in GV setup, add the CC number as a new phone (they will call it to verify that it is yours).  Finally, set GV to ring the CC number and not ring Chat.

vmcmahon

Stewart, Jimates - thank you both. I have ordered the OBI device tonight. Much appreciated.

vmcmahon

Hi Stewart,

In response to this question earlier, you suggested a couple of good options for incoming calls. Does this imply that I should be able to make outgoing calls Via my obi setup while logged onto gmail on my desktop with out any issues.?

I should have my obi in a couple of days so I can start setting up