News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

what obi device to choose?

Started by peterf, July 25, 2012, 03:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterf

I'm planning to buy an Obi device just not sure which model and if it's able todo the things i want.

1) I have two phone lines, and i want to be able to receive calls from one of the lines on my laptop when i'm not at home.
2) does the phone at home still ring when the obi is connected?
3) later on i will install a phone system with multiple lines. is it possible than to connect the obi to one line. for example when people call and hear in the menu, choose 1 for sales. when they press 1 the call is forwarded to my laptop (google voice)?

looking forward to your answer.

jimates

The only model that will connect to a land line is the Obi110. It will allow you to connect ONE phone line.
1 - The Obi can fork the calls to anywhere, including your laptop as long as you have a compatible softphone or program that either has a phone number or can be configured as SIP.

2 - Normally you plug your line into the Obi's line port, and then plug your phone(s) or wiring into the Obi's phone port. So that when a call comes in the phones connected to the Obi ring. If you connect a phone(s) to your land line ahead of the Obi they will ring as normal

3 - You can connect the Obi to one line of a multi line system. The Obi and the auto attendant are very versatile when it comes to directing calls. See # 1.

google voice does not have a program for placing calls from your laptop. It is possible to make & receive calls from your laptop using gmail or several 3rd party programs, including Obion for PC. If you plan to configure google voice on the Obi it is not recommended to use the gmail account as the one on the Obi, they tend to conflict. Also if you forward to your laptop (or anywhere else) using google voice you will not get the caller id of the original call. The incoming caller id on your laptop will be that of the service used to place the call.