News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

No calls in/out of OBi110! service provider reject reason 405

Started by Landline, February 06, 2013, 08:29:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Landline

For the last 5 days, calls to my Google voice number will not ring my OBi and all calls placed from the OBi are rejected by the service provider with reason 405.
I have tried reconfiguring both GV and OBitalk. The Google voice status shows connected.
Echo test works fine.

The only change has been a recent OBi firmware update 1.3.0 (Build: 2776). Old version was more than 1 year old. Was rock solid for more than 1 year.

Google voice number is under Google apps account. It is the primary and only email address. Also 2 step authentication is not enabled on this account.

Any ideas? Thanks!

CoalMinerRetired

Given this statement "Old version was more than 1 year old," sometimes a full and complete reset of the device clears up/out things like this.

Landline

Thanks for the suggestion.

Did a ***81 reset and reconfigured. Still no love.

LeoKing

I suggest you go to the OBi Dashboard to delete the OBi110 then re-add it and reconfigure it.

CoalMinerRetired

^ I was also going to suggest you do this, but I don't use the ObiTalk portal for my main phones so I forgot the exact wording.  

Landline

Tried that too. No luck.

OBi support said:
You will need to have a create a gmail email (e.g abc@gmail.com) associated
with your Google Voice account.
Once logged into your Google Voice account, you will see "Mail" on the top
(black bar). Click on Mail and proceed to create a @gmail email.

Once you have done the above, re-enter the gmail username and password in
ObiTALK.

Regards,
Obihai Technology

Not possible to do this, since my GV account is already tied to my private.com email address, hosted on google.

Also, this has worked fine for more than a year???

CoalMinerRetired

That's an odd response from them, because they specifically state otherwise:

Starting with firmware release 1.2, the following features are supported:
- Non-Gmail domain in account name for Google Voice Communications Service.

Reference: http://www.obihai.com/OBiAdminGuide.htm#_Toc333506121

As a test, you could get a new Gmail.com email account, and get a new (free) google voice number (any number would work), and setup this new GV number in your obi. There's only three or four or five fields to set in the obi, and the entire process would take five minutes. Remember to make one call via the Gmail phone/Talk feature before setting up in the Obi. This is the only thing I can think of to try at the moment.

Edit: One more thought. Can you make and receive calls via the Gmail phone/Talk feature using your 'private.com email address, hosted on google?'  Note that I've never used a 'hosted on google, private.com email address,' but I am assuming here it works just like anythingelse@gmail.com address.

Landline

Well, good news/bad news:

First the good, it is working again. The bad, I don't know why. I unplugged the OBi110 and got sidetracked while testing calls from the gmail chat plug-in. When I plugged the Obi back in after an hour or two, everything worked.  The extended disconnect must have allowed a connection to clear somewhere between Obi and google.  Short power cycles, reboots and reconfigurations didn't work earlier in the day.

Also, the mobile client and 2 step calls using my cell phone from the GV page worked throughout the outage.

As for the google apps and private email thing. I highly recommend it. It's basically a free service that lets you host your domain on google. You get web based gmail for your own addresses. Lots of other features as well. They handle annual domain registration, so you pay google instead of directly to some of the less desirable registrars! search "google apps."

CoalMinerRetired

One last point. Are you aware you are supposed to be out of the Google Phone/Talk app when your Gmail is connected via an Obi? 

It is actually a slight bit more complicated than this, given that the Obi GV connection internally in the Obi is emulating a Phone/Talk app session, there's a "last man wins" effect for which one, browser or obi, gets a valid connection to GV. It's mentioned on here in a few places, and other than that is lightly documented.  Cycling through a app session may have triggered something. Ambiguous fixes like this bother me. 

Landline

Yep, but thanks for the tip. I never use the google chat clients. I had to install a plug-in to even test it.