News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi IP Address

Started by bsdaiwa, August 05, 2012, 05:24:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bsdaiwa

How about showing the OBi's IP address in the OBI Expert Configuration? It should only be available to the authorized user.

Ostracus

It does under status-->system status---WAN status.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: Ostracus on August 05, 2012, 07:04:38 PM

That gives you the LAN IP address assigned by the local router (in spite of what the OBi label is), what I want to see is the WAN IP address that the ISP assigns to the router. The OBi tab is not labeled correctly, it should read LAN Status not WAN Status.

QBZappy

Well if you want to bring mislabeling up "Production Information" on the portal seems a bit unusual.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

bsdaiwa

Quote from: QBZappy on August 05, 2012, 07:58:31 PM
Well if you want to bring mislabeling up "Production Information" on the portal seems a bit unusual.

True

JohnBowler

Quote from: bsdaiwa on August 05, 2012, 07:38:14 PM
Quote from: Ostracus on August 05, 2012, 07:04:38 PM
That gives you the LAN IP address assigned by the local router (in spite of what the OBi label is),

You are asking for your Internet address; that's not the same thing as a WAN address.

The WAN address is the IP name of the Obi in the containing environment.  In your case that is your LAN, in my case because my Obi is connected directly to my ISP that happens to be the same as my Internet address (jbowler.com).

If you want to know your internet address you either have to go to the thing that connects you to the internet (my Obi, your router or your modem depending on your network) or you have to ask someone on the outside, for example http://whatismyipaddress.com/.

In your case that IP address does *not* connect to your Obi (try it ;-).  Instead it connects to your router; your router can probably be configured to arrange to connect to your Obi, but that's not the same thing.  (It's like if you asked me for my telephone number and I gave you my mother's; she'll relay a message but it's not the same as talking to me directly, for one thing it's far more enjoyable.)

The Obi has to tell you its IP address because that is what you need to connect to it from the outside.  So if you go to www.obiconnect.com from the 202 LAN port you can discover what IP address it has on the WAN port (alternatively you can use the voice attendent *** stuff; it's the same number.)  Since this is the only IP address it has and since it doesn't know your internet IP (it can find it, but so can you) this is what it needs to report.

John Bowler <jbowler@acm.org>