News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Static IP and Port Forwarding

Started by Bean, August 09, 2012, 01:36:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bean

I have a couple of questions about my new OBi100 installation. I'm trying to achieve the best connection with the least amount of packet losses on my 5MB up/1MB down line-of-site isp (the best current option available to me)

1) I set my OBi address on my router to static. Do I also need to set my OBi device to static? My router setting    should ensure it always assigns the same ip address to the OBi, correct?

2) My router allows me to set a high priority to my OBi's static ip address, which I have done. Do I still need to set up port forwarding for the OBi?

Any comments/suggestions are welcome. Thanks

QBZappy

Bean
Quote from: Bean on August 09, 2012, 01:36:33 PM
1) I set my OBi address on my router to static. Do I also need to set my OBi device to static? My router setting    should ensure it always assigns the same ip address to the OBi, correct?
Setting the router to static should do the trick.

Quote from: Bean on August 09, 2012, 01:36:33 PM
2) My router allows me to set a high priority to my OBi's static ip address, which I have done. Do I still need to set up port forwarding for the OBi?
high priority (QOS) and port forwarding are different things altogether. "high priority" is for the router to allow the device ip to receive packets ahead of other ips (devices) giving the OBi priority when it is in a call.

The router uses port forwarding as a way for you to connect to the device over the internet or for specific ports to reach the OBi. Voice signaling (ringing the phone) and traffic (talking) goes over specific port numbers. It may or may not be necessary to forward ports. You will have to see if without forwarding ports the calls work normally.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Bean