News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Is there such a thing as a 'high call quality' VoIP service provider?

Started by Robert.Thompson, February 02, 2012, 12:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

Is there such a thing as a 'high call quality' VoIP service provider or is VoIP just VoIP?

I live in Montreal Canada, if that matters.

Thanks,
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com

carl

IMO voip is for a large part just voip, because it can be only only as good as your ISP.
But some VOIP companies are better than others. Callcentric seems to have a good reputation,  just to pick one.

lk96

Quote from: Robert.Thompson on February 02, 2012, 12:59:15 PM

Is there such a thing as a 'high call quality' VoIP service provider or is VoIP just VoIP?

In a way Voip is a way to packetize sampled (and may be coded) voice in IP packets and
send them over to other end of the call.

However, Voip as a service definitely varies a lot across providers.
So some of the metrics/aspects that characterize a provider include (but not limited) to:

+ quality of routes: you want low latency and near zero packet losses
+ low latency variability (aka jitter)
+ high service availability: this is sometimes done by provider multiple data path to destinations,
support redundant call servers, redundant peering points, etc etc
+ cost

There are several posts in here that makes references to providers of varying degrees of quality.

In my case i use couple of the so called Betamax companies (Easyvoip and VoipaLot).
And I also use Voxbeam. The former ones are really cheap, they work ok but the service quality may
vary at times. Voxbeam seem to provide a lot higher quality routes but that comes at a cost premium.

If you search this forum you'll find quite a few discussions and references to providers.

L.

lhm.

You may want to look at VoIP.ms a Canadian company they have provided me good service and value.

Robert.Thompson

Hello:

Since my original post, I have used: Voip.ms, Anveo & AcroVoice.

I had trouble with Voip.ms back when they were having trouble with the montreal2 server and did not realize it. I think that it is OK now, but I do not know.

Anveo, which I used the longest, has been simply excellent.

AcroVoice, which I am testing now, also seems to be excellent.
Rob. (Obi newbie.)

OBi 110 using Anveo - but presently testing AcroVoice
My blog: www.googlevoiceforcanadians.com