News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110: Should I connect LINE Port as well?

Started by tavie888, August 09, 2012, 09:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tavie888

Hi,

Recently I bought OBi110 and set it up as follows:

Internet > Cable Modem > Router > OBi110 > Desk Phone

I unplugged the house phone line from the desk phone and used the RJ12 from the box to connect the phone with the PHONE Port of OBi110.

This morning there was a call coming in, as other phones in the house were ringing.  My Dad picked up the Desk Phone but he did not hear any signal or sound.

Because we have not disconnected from Bell, until we are fully content that GV and voip.ms are working well, my question is:

"Now should I also connect the house phone line to the LINE Port of OBi110, so that we can use POTS until we are ready to leave Bell"?

Another reason:

Part of the OBi FAQ reads:

"OBi110 LINE Port allows you to keep your current land line service yet take advantages of the OBi device's VOIP services".

I look forward to hearing from you.  Thanks in advance.

QBZappy

tavie888 ,

Quote from: tavie888 on August 09, 2012, 09:20:57 PM
"Now should I also connect the house phone line to the LINE Port of OBi110, so that we can use POTS until we are ready to leave Bell"?

Yes, that's what the Obi110 is designed for.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

tavie888

Thank you QBZappy.  The quick guide wasn't very clear in case customer wants to try out OBi110 until ready to ditch Bell.

;D

tavie888

Hello again,

I forgot to ask:

After connecting the house phone line to the LINE Port, do I need to "uncheck" the "make GV primary line" box? Or leave it as is ("Checked")?

I want to be able to make and receive calls via GV, but also need the flexibility or safety of having the POTS around until I no longer need it.

TIA

jimates

Leave the primary line as google voice if you want to make and receive calls using google voice. Calls from the land line will also ring the phone port. If you want to place calls using the land line you would dial **8 before the desired number.