News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 default to LINE port when SIP is down

Started by SteveWithObi110, July 18, 2012, 07:46:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveWithObi110

On on Obi110, if there is an AC power outage the PHONE network is directly connected to the LINE allowing normal PSTN service as if the Obi110 is not in the picture. Is there a way to configure the Obi110 so that if the internet goes down the behaviour is the same ? I have had missed incoming calls and outgoing problems when internet is down.

Felix

There are several threads discussing what happens with OBi110 if Internet goes down (search). But i think you still need power - but maybe I am wrong... Search!

QBZappy

SteveWithObi110

Quote from: SteveWithObi110 on July 18, 2012, 07:46:02 PM
On on Obi110, if there is an AC power outage the PHONE network is directly connected to the LINE allowing normal PSTN service as if the Obi110 is not in the picture.

Are you thinking that the phone attached to the OBi will function because there is a relay switch which will automatically connect you to the PSTN? Despite what their specs say, there have been threads with people confirming that this is not the case. It seems sometime ago OBihai quietly dropped the relay switch from the OBi. Unless they have put it back, I would not go by anything you read in any OBihai documentation because it has been incorrect in the past since it was true only for the early production units. The only way to be sure is to unplug the OBi110 and see if you can make an outgoing call.

Quote from: SteveWithObi110 on July 18, 2012, 07:46:02 PM
Is there a way to configure the Obi110 so that if the internet goes down the behaviour is the same ? I have had missed incoming calls and outgoing problems when internet is down.

If the internet goes down the OBi is out of the picture. If your calls are coming over the PSTN line, you would need a splitter and conect the OBi and a second phone to it. When the internet goes down the second phone should work. (This is assuming the auto relay switch is no longer part of the design)

If your calls are coming from sip, these services usually have forward calls on no answer feature. This comes in handy for situations like you describe.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Lavarock7

My suggestion is to connect a Y splitter prior to the Obi and add a cheap couple-of-dollar phone there. It can have its ringer turned off, so that it does not ring if incoming calls are redirected by the Obi. Of course the ringer could be enabled if someone things they may get a call during a power failure. I personally would use a flashing light (like the old neon telephone lights) instead of a ringer.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

TheDreamer

So, this isn't going to replace my dead Sipura 3000. :..(

Mango

Quote from: SteveWithObi110 on July 18, 2012, 07:46:02 PMIs there a way to configure the Obi110 so that if the internet goes down the behaviour [allows normal PSTN service as if the Obi110 is not in the picture]?

Yes, you should use the Trunk Groups feature for that.  The only thing you'll notice when you make a call is it will take a few extra seconds to start ringing.

Quote from: QBZappy on July 19, 2012, 04:52:49 AMAre you thinking that the phone attached to the OBi will function because there is a relay switch which will automatically connect you to the PSTN? Despite what their specs say, there have been threads with people confirming that this is not the case. It seems sometime ago OBihai quietly dropped the relay switch from the OBi.

That's very unfortunate - imho this relay switch is one of the most important features of the OBi110.  Mine actually does have this switch.  It was purchased in August of 2011 from Amazon.com; guess I was lucky.

Clive

Quote from: Mango on July 24, 2012, 10:11:48 PM
Quote from: SteveWithObi110 on July 18, 2012, 07:46:02 PMIs there a way to configure the Obi110 so that if the internet goes down the behaviour [allows normal PSTN service as if the Obi110 is not in the picture]?

Yes, you should use the Trunk Groups feature for that.  The only thing you'll notice when you make a call is it will take a few extra seconds to start ringing.

forgive me for asking but how do we set that up?

Mango

No forgiveness necessary ;D

I wrote an article about it here: http://toao.net/510