News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Voice mail indicator & stutter dial tone no longer work on Obi202 unit using GV

Started by Studly, August 12, 2012, 04:17:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark.P

UPDATE:I deleted/disconnected all SP's. The stutter still occurred on both Ph1 & Ph2, without any service providers connected.

Contacted ObiSupport: They responded very quickly. Indicated/confirmed that I had the latest firmware on my 202. They  advised a factory reset (***8 and press 1 to confirm). I added the device and noted that Ph1 & Ph1 no longer had the stutter-dial-tone. Configured/added my SP's, with the MWI toggled on;set-up the same as prior to the problematic persistent stutter issue. Stutter dial-tone(MWI) seems to be functioning  correctly at this time.

pc44

Mark.P,

Thanks for this information and your experience with support resolving it.  This will/should be very helpful to some other users here who have described a very similar problem.  It seems that a factory reset is in order, as you have explained.

Thank you for sharing this info,
pc44

rocketben

I had voice mail indicator / stutter tone for over a week. Calling in to voice mail said there were no new messages. Then, I got a new voice mail. I called in, listened to it and archived it. The stutter/indicator then went away!

I have some theories, but haven't had time to test them out. Most of the time, I listen to my voicemails on the computer. Maybe that doesn't "clear" the voicemail indication for the obi. And when I try to call in to voicemail, there is no new voicemail to clear, so it doesn't trigger the clear. But calling in and listening to an "unread" voicemail triggers the clear for the obi, getting rid of the voicemail indication. Complete conjecture at this point, but something worth investigating and testing.

Rick

Quote from: rocketben on September 17, 2012, 08:04:28 PM
I had voice mail indicator / stutter tone for over a week. Calling in to voice mail said there were no new messages. Then, I got a new voice mail. I called in, listened to it and archived it. The stutter/indicator then went away!

I have some theories, but haven't had time to test them out. Most of the time, I listen to my voicemails on the computer. Maybe that doesn't "clear" the voicemail indication for the obi. And when I try to call in to voicemail, there is no new voicemail to clear, so it doesn't trigger the clear. But calling in and listening to an "unread" voicemail triggers the clear for the obi, getting rid of the voicemail indication. Complete conjecture at this point, but something worth investigating and testing.

Sorry to pour water on your theory, but I never call in for my voicemail, I always listen to them on my computer (or browser on my cell phone) and my indicator works fine.

pc44

It has been reported in the past that calling into one's own voicemail helps clear the indicator more quickly than by web access.  Though both *should* clear the indicator eventually; to my recollection (could have been another one of my OBi nighttime dreams), more than one person reported faster clearing via the direct dial method.

However, I do agree that the more info we can glean, perhaps the better Obihai can get to the bottom of this issue.  I'm not sure I have this problem, but it seems several of you are experiencing it.

jimates

I only recently enabled my VM indicators (when others were having problems). I wanted to see if I had the same problems.

I have never called into my google voice account to check a message. I always do it on the PC. Since I have enabled the message waiting, it has worked as it is suppose to.

CoalMinerRetired

I'm suspicious that one of the root causes here is having a configuration where two SP services are pointed to one phone port. Such as SP1 and SP2 > ph1, and SP3 and SP4 > ph2, where ">" means InboundCallRoute for the service.

Note that I'm not saying the VM indicators are enabled on the two SP services pointed to the one phone port, just that two SP services are pointed to one phone port.

In my configuration, I've observed the MWI and VMWI have the problems listed here when SP2 has an unread message in a lesser used folder, Spam, Archive, etc.

rocketben

Quote from: CoalMinerRetired on September 18, 2012, 08:04:38 PM
I'm suspicious that one of the root causes here is having a configuration where two SP services are pointed to one phone port. Such as SP1 and SP2 > ph1, and SP3 and SP4 > ph2, where ">" means InboundCallRoute for the service.

Note that I'm not saying the VM indicators are enabled on the two SP services pointed to the one phone port, just that two SP services are pointed to one phone port.

For the record, I do have SP1 and SP2 both going to PH1. And my voicemail indicator troubles only started after configuring a second GV in SP2. I have SP2 set not to cause a vm indication.

jimates

I have always had 2 google voice numbers ringing each phone on my 202, but never had MW enabled for either one.
I recently removed one google voice number from SP2 and replaced it with Callcentric. Shortly after that I enabled MW on SP1 for google voice as per my previous post.

I have 2 google voice numbers on my SP3 & SP4 ringing Ph2. Let me play with those and see what kind of results I get.

bon123

I think I finally got this to work.  It seems that any unread message in your google voice mail inbox will  cause the message indicator light to go on this includes any missed messages such as hang ups etc.   When I checked my google voice box it said I  had no new messages and the message indicator light was still on.  I then checked my  inbox via google voice account and there was a  missed message when I marked this message the message indicator light went out. 

Google voice has an option  to save missed messages to your inbox or email I had this enabled so missed messages was causing my indicator to remain on. 

DrJay

I've been using Google's two-step verification since they first introduced it so I never expected to get stutters/flashing LEDs on my home land line via my OBi202. I've lived with it. All of my GV voicemails get delivered to my Gmail inbox and I also get notifications on my mobile phone via the Hangouts app.

I value the extra security of two-factor authentication over the voicemail alert on my OBiHAI extensions so it was never a big deal. But if I could have both, that would be a bonus.

Now that Google and OBiHAI are playing nice, and since it sounds like subsequent OBiHAI firmware upgrades have been chipping away at solving some GV/voicemail alert issues, here's my question:

Is it now possible for a 2-step verification using, OBi202-owning user like me to have both 2-step AND voicemail alerts?

I noticed that the current GV setup wizard presents no voicemail notification checkbox, but the wizard for Callcentric setup does. That leads me to believe that I can't have voicemail alerts on the GV SP slot. But of course I could play around with settings through Expert Config and change the VMI stuff if that actually mattered.

Has anyone else with a similar setup (esp. 2-step verification) gotten this to work LATELY, with all of the new GV/OBi love?

SteveInWA

Quote from: DrJay on October 08, 2014, 07:31:29 AM
I've been using Google's two-step verification since they first introduced it so I never expected to get stutters/flashing LEDs on my home land line via my OBi202. I've lived with it. All of my GV voicemails get delivered to my Gmail inbox and I also get notifications on my mobile phone via the Hangouts app.

I value the extra security of two-factor authentication over the voicemail alert on my OBiHAI extensions so it was never a big deal. But if I could have both, that would be a bonus.

Now that Google and OBiHAI are playing nice, and since it sounds like subsequent OBiHAI firmware upgrades have been chipping away at solving some GV/voicemail alert issues, here's my question:

Is it now possible for a 2-step verification using, OBi202-owning user like me to have both 2-step AND voicemail alerts?

I noticed that the current GV setup wizard presents no voicemail notification checkbox, but the wizard for Callcentric setup does. That leads me to believe that I can't have voicemail alerts on the GV SP slot. But of course I could play around with settings through Expert Config and change the VMI stuff if that actually mattered.

Has anyone else with a similar setup (esp. 2-step verification) gotten this to work LATELY, with all of the new GV/OBi love?

Hi Jay!

The new OBi support for Google Voice no longer supports the message-waiting stutter tone or the visual message waiting indicator (MWI or VMWI).  This is unrelated to 2SV; it doesn't work at all any more.  The MWI/VMWI function for SIP carriers like Callcentric still works as always, but it won't help you with GV voicemail, since it would only apply to voicemail messages left on Callcentric's own VM system.

roguegaston

Is this something that will be added in the future?  We miss not having that feature.

Jason

SteveInWA

Quote from: roguegaston on October 08, 2014, 08:04:42 PM
Is this something that will be added in the future?  We miss not having that feature.

Jason

I have no idea.  Obihai may or may not disclose what they are working on, but this feature never worked consistently for more than a few months, before it broke again.  My hunch is that it was a hack that they've decided to abandon.

SilverHD

Help!!!

Like an idiot, I paid attention to this ad without reading down the entire page and did what the first post said to do without reading further. This is what I read and I did:

Contacted ObiSupport: They responded very quickly. Indicated/confirmed that I had the latest firmware on my 202. They  advised a factory reset (***8 and press 1 to confirm). I added the device and noted that Ph1 & Ph1 no longer had the stutter-dial-tone. Configured/added my SP's, with the MWI toggled on;set-up the same as prior to the problematic persistent stutter issue. Stutter dial-tone(MWI) seems to be functioning  correctly at this time.

After I reset my device, I could not get anything to work at all. I tried reconfiguring GV and that would not work so I went ahead and took the recommended rebuild again, figuring that that would at least put me back in business. Well it didn't. I currently have (2) 202's and, thank God, one is still working fine because I didn't touch it. Here is the problem now. I can receive calls on one phone but on the other, it goes directly to VM. I can't call out on either therefore the green lights are both jon on the left but the one's on the right are off.

The error that I am getting is this:  Error: Cannot find specified device:717579(basic_gv) even though GV is showing it is connected correctly but I don't know what this error means anyway. I contacted Support last night but they have yet to respond. Any help or assistance is greatly appreciated....please note, I am NOT a tech. Thanks much, Silver

Vestalink

Have you tried removing your device from Obitalk.com and then adding it back again?  Sometimes that helps. 
VoIP Phone Service from Vestalink - http://www.vestalink.com

SilverHD

Hello again:  Can someone please help with this situation? Like I said I am not techy. The only thing that I can see that may help in this is the error message: Error: Cannot find specified device:717579(basic_gv)

I'm just not sure what to do with that. I think I have everything hooked up to GV correctly. ???

Thanks again,

Silver

Marketing

Hi Silver,

Re-adding the device to OBiTALK should resolve the issue. It appears your Google Voice account is configured correctly and showing Connected now. Please open a support ticket if you have any other questions. Our support team will be happy to assist.