News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Want to use Obi110 with netTALK, our VoIP num. from cable co. AND Google Voice

Started by MariaStahl, March 17, 2011, 07:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MariaStahl

Right now I have the cable company's VoIP line coming off the phone jack on my cable modem, then off the router I have the netTALK.

I'd like to set our new Obi110 up so that all three of these "lines" are coming in, but outgoing calls go through the netTALK number, since I finally got our friends trained to use it. I'd love to switch to Google Voice entirely, but GV has no local numbers at all in our area, so any time people call us from, say, 100 feet away, they are going to be calling long distance if they have to use that.

Is there any sort of guidance or tutorial for this weird configuration?

Thanks!

jimates

You will need to set your calls from the cable provider to forward to the netTalk. Do this in your cable account.

You can't efectively have 2 lines coming in to the LINE port (unless there is a way to keep one from going off hook for outgoing calls.

@Michigan Telephone, any device to do that.

MariaStahl

Okay, thanks.

I will need to do something about my router's Ethernet wired connections. We are using all 4, and I will need 5 to continue to use the netTALK as well as the Obi.

jimates

Just for future reference. If you ever get a google voice number, using the netTalk as a forwarding phone does not work well. It answers every call so none of the other forwarding phones will receive any calls. they will just ring once and then the netTalk will have the call. The call even appears to have been answered by google voice and for some reason it makes google voice's attendant come into play.

MichiganTelephone

Quote from: jimates on March 17, 2011, 07:45:45 AM
You will need to set your calls from the cable provider to forward to the netTalk. Do this in your cable account.

You can't efectively have 2 lines coming in to the LINE port (unless there is a way to keep one from going off hook for outgoing calls.

@Michigan Telephone, any device to do that.

About 10 or 20 years ago there were a few devices like this, now not any that I'm aware of, but you may be able to find one on eBay.  Basically what you want is a 2-line switch that will automatically send a ringing line to the connected telephone (which in this case would be the LINE port of the OBi110) but that will always by default send an outgoing call out on Line 1.  The basic idea is something like this one on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-Line-Telephone-switch-Radio-Shack-/180639523521?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a0ef462c1

BUT I don't know if that one will automatically switch the ringing line to the phone/OBi device, or whether an outgoing call always defaults to Line 1.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.