News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Calling from Google Voice using OBi (solved)

Started by jeff@jeffmusto.com, August 15, 2012, 01:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff@jeffmusto.com

My Obi has been working flawlessly for months. Today when I tried to make a call from my Google voice account and to ring my Obi it will not do it, the call goes through but my GV number connected through chat does not ring. The reason I know it goes through is I am ringing my office number. I can make a call and have Google ring my cell phone but it will not ring my Google number that is connected through my Obi.  I can make outbound call and receive inbound call through the Obi and my Google number just fine.. Is anyone else having this problem or do I have something wrong on my end.
the pvkid "Helping other people live the dream"
Puerto Vallarta Condo Rental

jeff@jeffmusto.com

Is anyone else having this problem. You can not make call from the GV webpage and have it ring your OBi?

pc44

Jeff,

On occasion, I experience this problem.  However, whenever it does occur, a simple rebooting of my OBi clears it for me.  Not sure if the same would work in your situation, but that is what does it for me.

pc44

jeff@jeffmusto.com

I just tried that with no luck. It all started when I unplugged my OBi and plugged in a new one to configure it. I configured the new one with a different number then I plugged my old one back in and this feature stopped working.
I have tried everything I can think of but it still does not work.
In bound and out bound call work great.

Rick

Quote from: jeff@jeffmusto.com on August 16, 2012, 07:46:11 PM
I just tried that with no luck. It all started when I unplugged my OBi and plugged in a new one to configure it. I configured the new one with a different number then I plugged my old one back in and this feature stopped working.
I have tried everything I can think of but it still does not work.
In bound and out bound call work great.

First, I'd point out that your initial question didn't clarify what you had done to cause this issue, namely removing your OBi, installing a new one and configuring it, then plugging your old OBi back in.  Totally different perspective than "my OBi stopped working".

Given that it worked fine, then didn't, after you configured the new one, leads on to think that configuring the new device caused the issue.  Did you configure the new device via the OBi site or via a direct web connection to the OBi device?  Have you tried calling the NEW Obi's GV number and see if that makes your phone ring?  Have you gone into the web interface of the box and seen if GV is connected?

jeff@jeffmusto.com

First off thank you for the help on this, I am at a loss to where to go to fix this problem.
I configured the new OBi with a new number via the OBi site, this is the 3rd Obi I have added to my control panel. The new one I configured and another one that I configured a few months ago all work fine and I receive a call back from the GV page with no problem.
I have gone into the web interface of the box but I do not know how to see if GV is connected but I can make out boiund and receive inbound calls so it makes me think it is connected. If you would like me to check the setting in the web interface just let me know the settings you want checked. GV is configured under ITSP Profile A

Rick

Go into Google Voice and on the Phones tab ensure that Google Chat is checked.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

Yes that is the first thing I checked.  I un checked it and saved it and then re checked it and saved it just to be sure.

Rick

I want to clarify what you can, and can't do.

If you pickup your house phone and make a call, it works, correct?  And GV is the ONLY service you configured with the OBi?

If someone calls your GV number, does your OBi ring the house phone?  You said you can make and receive calls, so I'm not clear on what's not working.

Is the only issue that when you try to use your GV account on the web, and try to call your house phone, it doesn't ring?  If so, be specific on what you are trying to do.  If I go to the GV web interface, and tell it to call my GV number via Talk, my house phone rings and I hear Google telling me how to place a call, which is how it should work.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

My answers are in red.

If you pickup your house phone and make a call, it works, correct?  And GV is the ONLY service you configured with the OBi?  Yes this works and GV is the only service I have configured on the OBi

If someone calls your GV number, does your OBi ring the house phone?  You said you can make and receive calls, so I'm not clear on what's not working. Yes my phone rings and I can make & receive calls.

Is the only issue that when you try to use your GV account on the web, and try to call your house phone, it doesn't ring?  If so, be specific on what you are trying to do.  If I go to the GV web interface, and tell it to call my GV number via Talk, my house phone rings and I hear Google telling me how to place a call, which is how it should work.
On the GV webpage you can make calls, it will ring any of the phones you have registered, You can make these calls from you address book or from your transcribed messages or you can click "call" and type in a number. You can then select from a dropdown what registered phone you want GV to ring with your call. I have 3 registered phones. If I have GV call my cell or my office phone it works just fine, my phone rings I pick it up and the call goes through. If I try and have it ring my OBi phone it does not ring but the call still goes through but I am not connected to it, the people at the number I am calling hear nothing. Like I said earlier, this used to work fine till I unplugged my OBi and plugged another one in and configured it. I then unplugged the new one and plugged the old OBi in and everything worked fine except the call back from the GV webpage. I hope I was clearer this time  :o
I am a little unclear when you say "I hear Google telling me how to place a call" because the way it used to work is if I click "call" and typed in a number and then selected "Google Talk" and clicked on "connect"  it would ring my OBi phone when I answered I could hear ringing just like I dialed the number, I never heard Google telling me how to place a call.

Rick

Okay, it's now clear to me.  The issue is when you try to use your GV account to PLACE A CALL to a number, and want it to ring the house phone for you to place that call, it doesn't do so.  Got it.

Yet the house phone rings fine when someone calls you.  And if you pick up the housephone it makes a call just fine.  The ONLY issue is that the GV account doesn't ring the house phone when you try to initiate a call from within GV.

My comment about telling me how to place a call was if you try to call your own phone number, so it's not relevant to your issue.

Are you absolutely positive that you're logging into the right Google Voice account, the one that you setup with your OBi? 

jeff@jeffmusto.com

Yes I am absolutely positive I am logging into the right GV account. I have been using a OBi for over 2 years and VOIP for over 5 years and I have had a GV number since before it was called Google Talk so I am somewhat familiar with all of this. It just does not make sense to me.

What do you think about resetting the OBi back to factory settings and starting over? I am at a loss of what else to do.

Rick

That can't hurt, but have no idea if you'll have a different result.  Since it works fine making and receiving calls, it would seem the issue isn't with the OBi, but... 

jeff@jeffmusto.com

But if it is not the OBi what else could it be? I do not think it is GV because all of the other numbers work just fine. I am also thinking of removing Google Chat as one of the numbers in GV but I am unsure of how to add it back in. Do you have any ideas on this? It is not like adding a regular number

Rick

Quote from: jeff@jeffmusto.com on August 17, 2012, 10:03:03 AM
But if it is not the OBi what else could it be? I do not think it is GV because all of the other numbers work just fine. I am also thinking of removing Google Chat as one of the numbers in GV but I am unsure of how to add it back in. Do you have any ideas on this? It is not like adding a regular number

You're asking a lot of GV questions on a forum for OBi  ;)  Googling I found your answer as to how to add it back: http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/voice/ibKL0yEEaDE%5B1-25%5D

Give that a shot.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

Thanks for the link I will give it a try in the morning.
Seems that 80% of the OBi users are GV users so I thought this would be a very good place to ask the question. Doing it in a public forum helps everyone when the question is answered correctly. Again thanks for the link.

jimates

If I try and have it ring my OBi phone it does not ring but the call still goes through but I am not connected to it, the people at the number I am calling hear nothing.

The call you place using "click to call" should not even ring the other person's phone until you have answered your forwarding phone. You say your Obi doesn't ring, but somehow the call is being answered or the call would not be delivered to the other party.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

Quote from: jimates on August 20, 2012, 09:40:48 PM
The call you place using "click to call" should not even ring the other person's phone until you have answered your forwarding phone. You say your Obi doesn't ring, but somehow the call is being answered or the call would not be delivered to the other party.

This is exactly what is happening. I click to call and the call is going through even thou my OBi phone has not rang and I have not touched it. The person on the other end answers and nothing is there..
If I chose one of my other GV connected phones when I click to call everything works fine and I can make a normal call. I click to call, the phone I have selected rings, I answer and my call goes through.
I am really at a lost on what to do about this. Any thoughts anyone has would be appreciated.  ???

jimates

Have you tried opening your gmail and receiving a call there to see if it works correctly?

You can delete the google chat as a forwarding phone. To add it back, just make a phone call from within gmail.

Remember, when you delete it and add it back you may need to edit your groups because the new add will automatically add it as a receiving phone in every group you have.

jeff@jeffmusto.com

<<Have you tried opening your gmail and receiving a call there to see if it works correctly?>>

I am not sure of how to receive a call from gmail. Can you explain how to to this. Right now I can receive calls to my OBi phone (GV number) with no problems.

I did delete the Google Chat forwarding phone and added it back in by making a call from my gmail account. I then went into the setup of GV and added it back as a forwarded phone but it did not help, I still have the same problem.

I did notice something interesting on my OBi 110, when I try to connect to my OBi from GV the second green light from th e left on the OBi blinks like crazy but the phone never rings. I did pick up the phone to check if maybe the call was going through but not ringing but there was just a dial tone and no call.

Maybe the next thing I should try is a hard reset of my OBi and then reconfiguring it. Any thoughts on this?