News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

911 Setup

Started by Dixon, March 17, 2011, 11:34:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Johnny,

Is this support or what. Here's my way of helping. I like things visual.

Here is a visual of where to go. Start by going to the Setup Wizard. Change the text in the:
Phone OutboundCallRoute to what RonR suggested. My config is slightly different.

That will do it. If you don't want to remember to press **2 you might have to make sure the primary line is set to SP2 or make it to Trunk Group 1. The latter sends calls to the first available line. This may or may not be how you want to set it up.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

RonR

Quote from: QBZappy on April 02, 2011, 11:10:52 AMIf you don't want to remember to press **2 you might have to make sure the primary line is set to SP2 or make it to Trunk Group 1.
You do NOT need to change PrimaryLine for 911 to go out SP2.  The ONLY change required is the simple change to OutboundCallRoute.

QBZappy

RonR,

You're correct it forces it out on the SPx. My bad on that detail.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Johnny

Hey guys,

Thanks a ton for all the help.

MT, that's the step by step directions I was looking for.  Thanks.

Before I try this I had a couple more questions.

I found the place to make the outbound call route changes that RonR posted,
do I simply copy and paste that info or do I need to delete the default info and manually input the modified info?

I don't wanna screw this up :)

Last question.  Once I make the changes, how do I call 911?

Is it **2911 or just 911?

Thanks for hanging in there with me. 

RonR

You can just copy/paste the modified OutboundCallRoute into yours, replacing the existing one.

Simply dialing 911 should go out SP2.

You can usually call the local non-emergency phone number and tell them you have new phone system and you'd like to verify that 911 goes through it properly.  They will usually make arrangements or tell you to just go ahead.

Johnny

Thanks RonR,

I did as you suggested and it seems to have taken.

There is however a red exclamation point next to the outbound call route and also next to the Primary line box.  Not sure if they were there before this change or not.

Also, after copying and pasting the modified info into the outbound call route, both boxes to the right are unchecked, is that ok?

I really appreciate all this help.

Thanks

Johnny

Thank you RonR,

I think I'm good to go.  I will call the local emergency number to test these new settings as you suggested.

I think I'm starting to see the light :)

Faintly though......................

Dixon

Johnny, if you only have an outbound account with callcentric, you should put your call back phone number in the address field 2 in the callcentric 911 setup. The first test I did to 911 had a invalid callcentric number (my account number I think. I only have outbound CC.).
My address field 2 now has "Unit PHONE_xxx-xxx-xxxx" which is my GV number. Very important to have a call back number.

Johnny

Hi Dixon,

Yeah, I have the "pay per call" account.  Cost me a total of $8.00 with no monthly fees.

So after putting in the call back number in the address field 2, did you retest to see if that fixed the problem?

Also, in address field 2, did you put it in exactly like this:

"Unit PHONE_xxx-xxx-xxxx" 

I would be substituting the x's for my GV number?

Thanks

Dixon

When I put my phone in address 2 and hit next, one of the suggestions was that "Unit PHONE_xxx-xxx-xxxx" format. So I kept it. I didn't do an actual test to 911 with that change. But I am sure it will show up on the 911 call center screen.

Put your GV # in where the x's are.

Don't do a test until you recieve an email conformation that your 911 changes are in effect. It doesn't take long, like an hour maybe.

Johnny

Dixon,

Thanks for the info.

I'll check it out.

Thanks for starting this thread also.

Dixon

Your welcome :D

You said you paid $8.00 for and outbound account with no monthly fees? That is with www.callcentric.com? There is a $1.50/mo. charge for e911.

Johnny

Dixon,

Yeah, you're right, I forgot to mention the $1.50/mo. 911 charge.

Sorry.

shadow700

Quote from: Dixon on March 17, 2011, 12:16:37 PM
Not using the line port. I have a landline that's only connected to the home alarm.
I tested the 911 and hung up fast. There was no ring, but I think it said "connecting". IDK. Checked the history, looks fine. I had my police scanner on in case they were coming  ;D

Don't do that as you are not actually doing an end-to-end test. You don't want to find out that there is an issue when an actual emergency arises.

Next time, just call and announce that it is not an emergency. Tell them your phone provider was supposed to update your 911 information and you would like to verify that the information on their screen is correct.

They should then ask you for your name, address you are calling from, and some other information. My operator asked me if I wanted to add any additional information to the record (like cell phone number for callback, etc).

If you are not comfortable calling 911 when it is not an emergency, call the non-emergency number for the police or EOC and talk to them first. They might have an alternate procedure they wish you to follow.

Dixon

Quote from: shadow700 on April 13, 2011, 04:48:04 AM
Quote from: Dixon on March 17, 2011, 12:16:37 PM
Not using the line port. I have a landline that's only connected to the home alarm.
I tested the 911 and hung up fast. There was no ring, but I think it said "connecting". IDK. Checked the history, looks fine. I had my police scanner on in case they were coming  ;D

Don't do that as you are not actually doing an end-to-end test. You don't want to find out that there is an issue when an actual emergency arises.

Next time, just call and announce that it is not an emergency. Tell them your phone provider was supposed to update your 911 information and you would like to verify that the information on their screen is correct.

They should then ask you for your name, address you are calling from, and some other information. My operator asked me if I wanted to add any additional information to the record (like cell phone number for callback, etc).

If you are not comfortable calling 911 when it is not an emergency, call the non-emergency number for the police or EOC and talk to them first. They might have an alternate procedure they wish you to follow.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=405.msg2379#msg2379

cbell11

Quote from: Dixon on April 02, 2011, 04:10:30 PM
When I put my phone in address 2 and hit next, one of the suggestions was that "Unit PHONE_xxx-xxx-xxxx" format. So I kept it. I didn't do an actual test to 911 with that change. But I am sure it will show up on the 911 call center screen.

Put your GV # in where the x's are.

Don't do a test until you recieve an email conformation that your 911 changes are in effect. It doesn't take long, like an hour maybe.

First I want to start by saying thank you for the information you guys have provided.  I have successfully got my Obi100 set up to route 911 calls out SP2 which is connected to Call Centric.

The issue I ran into when I placed my test call is the Operator only has so many digits allowed on their screen in the Address 2 field and it cut off the last digits or last two digits of my phone number that I had placed in there.  I removed the "Unit Number" from the Address 2 and left just my phone number and she did recieve my phone number in the address field 2.  She did however say they wouldn't normally notice that number with it being in the address field, they would be trying to call the number that showed up in the Call Back Number field but at the same time they would dispatch an officer to the address.

I am currious in the CallCentric page it talks about verifying non-call centric numbers and specifying them under the caller ID field.  Has anyone successfully been able to set this up using the obi box?  Here's some of the instructions off thier site for setting this up but I wasn't sure if this was possible with Obi:
http://www.callcentric.com/features/external_caller_id

Thanks again,
Conrad

Dixon

Heya!
Thanks for the info!
Looks like they can add  a phone number of your choice to send as caller ID if you put in a trouble ticket. Then you can change your outgoing CID info here?
https://my.callcentric.com/preferences.php
in the "Caller ID to send:" field.
I just put in a ticket so they can add my number.

Dixon

I got a reply from CC from my ticket.

Hello,

Yes, while we can "force" your outbound caller ID to be xxxxxxxxxxx, please note that given if you do call 911 emergency services, emergency services will not see this caller ID, rather they will see a "hidden" number (that is associated under your account) as the caller ID. Just to explain how we've implemented 911, for every client that has at least one paid service and has stated that they will be using our services within the US/Canada, will have a 'hidden' phone number associated under their account (this is just in the event that if you ONLY have an outbound service under your account, you can still receive inbound calls from the emergency service center). Please note that you will not be able to receive regular inbound calls through this hidden phone number; this phone number is only accessible given if you have dialed 911 and the call happens to disconnect abruptly; emergency services has a means of contacting you back. So when you do call 911, emergency services should see the hidden phone number as your caller ID.

If you have any other questions, please let us know.

Dixon

I then asked

But if they see this hidden number, how can they contact me?

They replied:

Hello,

Regarding your inquiry; as mentioned give if you do dial out towards 911; and your call happens to be disconnected, they will still be able to call you via your hidden number. In general given if you do receive an incoming call through our services whether you are receiving an incoming call through a number acquire by our service, or through a third party DID provider (and are forwarding your incoming calls towards your account), our system will send those incoming call attempts to the last registered SIP UA -- your OBI110; you have under your account.

If you have any other questions, please let us know