News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Issue with incoming calls - GV

Started by kirthis.s, August 17, 2012, 10:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kirthis.s

I have configured Google voice on OBi Talk to receive calls. When a call is made to my GV number, it rings my phone, but I'm not able to answer it. When I try to answer the phone, the caller doesnt see the call go through, he keeps hearing the dialling, and then he hears the message 'the google voice subscriber is not answering...'.

Any fixes for this problem? It is frustrating to not be able to receive calls after investing so much on OBi.

Note: I have been using it for past 2 months, and it was fine initially. This seems to be a sudden issue, and I have tried restarting OBi multiple times.

Kirthi

CoalMinerRetired

When you pickup the call, press 1 and the call will be answered, or press 2 and the call will go to GV Voicemail, and you can listen in like with an old style answering machine. See #2 here (except, as it is becoming clear, on the Obi the callers do not get announced): http://support.google.com/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115083

Why is this happening? You do not have X_SkipCallScreening enabled in the Obi, and you also have Call Screening enabled in GV. One of the other changed.

I was confused and stumped by this behavior at first. Am just now understanding, reluctantly, how it works. Reluctantly means I'd like to have the GV prompts/'audio' Caller ID, work.  Take a look at this thread, from the referenced post forward: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3776.msg25584#msg25584 Note that when jimates says Google Chat, he also means 'an Obi call '.

kirthis.s

Thanks @CoalMinerRetired. I went through the entire thread that you referred, and did everything as mentioned. But it didnt work. Pressing 1 or 2 wouldnt still answer my calls or transfer to voicemail. Then I noticed something - I didnt have forward calls to Google Chat enabled in GV. I saw that it is mandatory for OBi to work in the first place. But I dont know how it worked so far without that. Once I checked that box, I was able to answer calls.

I'm still puzzled and dont understand how it works, but thanks very much for your response. It helped me clarify and understand OBi and GV a little better.