News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obihai 1032 - Headphone Jack - Static noise

Started by dyung2, January 19, 2017, 08:09:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dyung2

Hello,

Has anyone used the headphone jack for the Obihai 1032? I tried to plug in my Apple wired earbuds, and I instantly heard static noise. I tried another phone and another wired earbuds, but the same deal. Any way of fixing this?

Also, are there any recommendations on any headsets compatible with this Obihai 1032 phone? And has anyone tried using a RJ9 to female headphone jack adapter?

drgeoff

My guess is that your earbuds have a TRRS plug and the Obi is designed to take a TRS plug.

dyung2

Yes. The earbuds has a mic, so there are 3 rings. I guess your implying that the Obihai 1032 headphone jack is audio only and does not allow mic input?

drgeoff

If the earbuds are stereo and have a microphone there must be at least 4 contacts on the plug - left, right, mic and ground. TRRS though not necessarily in that order.

The OBi's jack is probably a 3 contact one - audio out, audio in and ground. TRS.

SteveInWA

Depending on your budget and the amount of time you spend on the phone with a headset, there are much better options than iPhone earbuds.  The 1032 phone supports business-class wired and wireless headsets, via it's dedicated RJ-9 headset jack, from Plantronics and Jabra.   For example, I use a Jabra PRO 9470 with a EHS cable for remote call answering.  See the Jabra PRO 9400 series here:

http://www.jabra.com/business/office-headsets/jabra-pro-9400

You can't simply use a passive RJ-9 to 3.5mm dongle -- it will have an impedance mismatch, and the volume will be much too low.  RJ-9 headsets use an amplifier.

dyung2

Thank you drgeoff and SteveInWA for your help!

SteveInWA - I just took a look at that Jabra 9470 and wow that's hefty price tag... I'll shop around for RJ-9 headsets that fits my budget. Thanks!