News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using VG to connect two OBis (to give dial tone at distant end)

Started by Millennium, August 21, 2012, 03:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millennium

Hi all.

I am getting used to my new OBi's now but although I have tried to set them up for what I want to do by cobbling together bits from other threads I am stuggling!

Situation
OB110 UK
OB110 France

I can receive incoming calls from the UK to France using the standard built in call forwarding feature, but I want to get UK dial tone when I press # on the handset in France, and French dial tone when I press # on the handset in the UK.  I have posted my settings below:

I am getting a busy tone when pressing #, and my call history shows that the call is receiving a busy tone.  There is nothing in the receiving call history that ties in with these calls.

Both OBi's are set up the same unless I have indicated otherwise below.  I am using the web portal to change settings so that I can 'play' away from home.  I have a VPN tunnel between both places and can ping the devices each way.

Any help would be much appreciated.  

ITSP Profile B
ProxyServer 172.0.0.1 127.0.0.1
All other settings as per default.

Physical Interfaces - Phone

Digit Map (uk below, France is set as default for the time being but disconnect settings and other crucial settings changed for use in France).

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|999|112|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli)

OutboundCallRoute

{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|999|112):vg1li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):vg1}

Other settings changed for UK (Caller ID etc) but should not be relevant.

Line
DigitMap
(0[1-9]xxxxxxxxx<#>S0)

Inbound call route

{vg1,ph}

Voice Service
SP2 Service
X_ServProvProfile B
X_InboundCallRoute {>(<+:>|(Mli)):li}
X_RegisterEnable unchecked

SIP Credentials
AuthUserName 44 (UK OBi) 33 (France OBi)
AuthPassword blank

Gateways and Trunk Groups
Name OB1
AccessNumber SP2(192.168.1.200:5061) (Set in UK OBi) SP2(192.168.4.200:5061) (Set in France OBi)

ianobi

I will leave other experts to work on this one, but two observations:

ITSP Profile B
ProxyServer 172.0.0.1
Maybe just a typo - 127.0.0.1 is the normal device address.

{(<#:>|999|112):vg1}
This rule is sending your emergency calls to vg1 and on to France  :o
You probably want:
{(<#:>):vg1},{(999|112):li}

Millennium

Thank you for the reply!!
I set up 172.0.0.1 as it was part of a 'similar' set up in another thread - but I am happy to be corrected!

- Edit: Just re-read your post - I have made a typo.  Could it be that simple?  I can't check until tonight.

As for dialling out 112/999 to France, I am currently using separate handsets attached to the OBi's so anyone using the 'normal' handsets won't have any issue.  Once I have it all set up as I want it I will configure the dial plans and then put all phones through the system.  However, now you have pointed it out I will change it!

I will also set it up so that dialling 0044 from France will automatically route through to the UK and dialling 003x, 004x, 001, 07 and some 08s from the UK will route through France as they are included in my call plan!

Millennium

Checked last night and still no go.  I changed the OutboundCallRoute as suggested and I now get the local line when I press #.  Changed it back to as was and I get the engaged (busy) tone as before.  I guess I need to set up the syslog to see how far the call is progressing.

ianobi

Possible Method 1
Have you considered the boring old conventional way of doing this? In this example I'm using vg3 as the numbers are easier to work with. Also, I'm assuming that your PrimaryLine = PSTN.

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|999|112|**0|***|#|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Mvg3)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli)

OutboundCallRoute
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|999|112):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Mvg3)):vg3},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

DigitMap(Mvg3)
(0033xx.)

Now by dialling **3 followed by any number starting 0033 (code for France), that number will be sent out unchanged to vg3. Change Mli:

Line DigitMap
(0[1-9]xxxxxxxxx<#>S0)|<**3>(Mvg3))

Now any call starting 0033 will go to vg3 with no need for the **3.

If you would like the numbers to go out in French national format, but still dial in international format, then this should work:

DigitMap(Mvg3)
(<0033:0>xx.)

Possible Method 2
OK, enough of the boring normal ways of doing things  :)

If you wish to be unconventional (as many are on this forum!):

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|999|112|**0|***|#{t=di2}(Mvg1)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli)

This rule "#{t=di2}(Mvg1)" means when you press # you will hear a second dial tone and allows numbers that match Mvg1. This is your "pretend" French dial tone.

OutboundCallRoute
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(999|112):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<#:>(Mvg1)):vg1},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

This rule {(<#:>(Mvg1)):vg1} is needed to remove the # and then send out numbers that match Mvg1 to vg1.

Leave Line DigitMap as you had originally.

Using this method I guess that after pressing # and getting second dial tone, then you will be dialling numbers in French national format and sending them via vg1 to the French Obi.

Mvg1 has to be quite specific to prevent conflicts with Mli. Luckily, I believe all French national numbers are ten digits starting with 0 So:

DigitMap(Mvg3)
(0xxxxxxxxx)

The only downside to the unconventional method is that you will lose the function of pressing # to bridge the phone port to the line port in each Obi. You could invent another way of doing this, but that's a step too far for me today  :)

The above still leaves quite a lot to sort out, but hopefully will give you ideas of how you want to progress. Let us know how you get on!

ianobi

I was working on the above before I saw your last post.

The rule {(<#:>):vg1} was never going to work (I should know better!) It really says replace # with nothing and send that to vg1. Well, the Obi was never going to be happy with that!

Hopefully, my last post will lead to some better ideas.

Millennium

Thank you Ianobi!

I will give it a try tonight (parent's visit permitting!) and report back.  Once I have something that works, and I understand it, I will feel more confident to play around with the settings knowing that I have a 'known good' starting point.  France does have a 'closed' dialling plan so that does make things simpler.

Thanks again.

ianobi

A couple of basics to check:

Select device from OBi Dashboard - on the Device Configuration page SP2 should show "Registration Not Required" meaning that it is enabled, but not configured with a service provider.

Assuming the above, then either of the methods I suggested should send something out to sp2 (via vgX). Before resorting to syslog, log into OBi directly and look at Call History after making calls. Then you can compare what you dialled with what was sent out. This will also help when configuring the Inbound settings for the other OBi.

Millennium

Do you mean Voice Service, SP2 Service X_RegisgterEnable is unchecked (which it is) or somehere else?

Edit:  I've gone to Device configuration, the Configure Voice Service Providers area says SP2 (Optional) Not Configured.  Is that what you mean and is it correct!

ianobi

That is the correct setting, but not quite what I meant.

Start from OBi Dashboard. Select your OBi number. That should take you to Device Configuration page. This shows the status of SP1 and SP2. SP1 probably shows "Registered" presuming you have a service provider allocated to it. SP2 should show "Registration Not Required". If not, go to SP2 Service page - check something is in SP2 AuthUserName (anything will do) and that the Enabled box is ticked at the top of the page.

If you had to change any of that then submit, wait for reboot, then check the Device Configuration page again.

Millennium

Thanks Ian

I have done as you said but I'm still only seeing "SP2 (Optional)   Not Configured" on the Device Configuration page.  I don't have anything set up on SP1 so its; saying "SP1   Not Configured"
Not sure what the SP2  (optional) means?

From the SP Service page I have:
SIP Credentials
AuthUserName 44
Password blank
Obi/default check boxes unticked for AuthUserName
Obi default for password/URI
Enable Obi/default unchecked with the option ticked for enabled.
I am using Obitalk, not talking to the device via its build in webserver (not that it should make any difference!

ianobi

Hmmm - bit of a mystery! I have the "optional" word as well. Nobody has ever explained that one, but it seems harmless! Anyhow, "Not Configured" is bad news as the OBi will not use SP2 as it is.

Try logging into the OBi directly and seeing if all the settings we have spoken about agree with the ones shown via the OBi portal. I have known them to get out of synch. Include checking the 127.0.0.1.

If they are out of synch, then uncheck the only box next to that setting and change to the same as portal shows and submit then hit reboot button at top of page. I know we should only use one method to change configurations, but I have found simply putting them back in synch this way does work.

Millennium

Will do!

I won't be home til later so can't check til then.  Thanks again for your help.

If it comes to it I'll do a factory reset.  I am in France this weekend so I can have a play!

Millennium

Mr Ianobi (or should that be Sir?)

I logged onto both devices and checked the SP2 status.  It appears that the status is shown differently on the Obi portal to the Obi device web servers!  They were both showing Registration not Required but Obitalk is still showing not configured!

Anyway, parents have just left, I dialled hash (sorry, Mac keyboard, no hash on keyboard) and the fax number of my bank in France, I got one UK style ring (UK end is set up with UK patterns - I could manage that), followed by a fax tone!!  So it all works.  I have set up the same from the other end so I'll test it out at the weekend to get UK dial tone.  Although of course, Senior Management will want me in the garden!

Next step, configure French end to allow dialling to short codes 3000 - automated customer service, 3131- like UK 1471, and 3651 - 141 etc., and international options, set UK end for similar.

I will then gather all the information and post it in a new thread to help others!

For any lurkers, if you set up a VPN from France I found that the French don't accept the strongest VPN encryption over the tunnel.  I found that AES-SHA1 works.

Thanks again for your assistance.  But watch this space, I may be back!!

ianobi

Sounds like mostly good news! I don't think there is much chance of me being knighted, unless it is for services to the beer industry :)

I am curious as to what actually worked - the original config, my possible method 1 or my possible method 2?

I will be interested to see the final configuration of the two OBis and maybe the vpn config (I don't know much about vpn type stuff). It also helps others who may set up something similar. This forum helps a lot more people than you might think!

I'm off now for a beer. Have a good weekend in France. Do report back - I think some fine tuning may be necessary, but then it always is!

Millennium

On further investigation, going to Status, System status shows SP2 as Registration Not Required, so it is there, just in a different place.

ianobi

That is odd, but the Status Page is sure to be the most accurate.

Quote from: Millennium on August 21, 2012, 04:48:00 AM
I will also set it up so that dialling 0044 from France will automatically route through to the UK and dialling 003x, 004x, 001, 07 and some 08s from the UK will route through France as they are included in my call plan!

I'm sure that you have realised that the two OBis have to be set up differently regarding Mvg1 and Mli DigitMaps. Also, you are using Mli in the Inbound routes, which is fair enough, but does need a little thought!

Millennium

Thanks Ian

Yes, I realsie that they must be set up differently.  I have been setting up each end as I went and could test the UK end.  As far as I can remember, the IP address is different (obviously), and I have created a separate dial plan.  I'll check the dial plans tonight and over the weekend.

I'll also check on the inbound routes.

Cheers.

Millennium

Hi Ian

OK, I spent a lot of time playing over the weekend and managed to get the France end basics sorted, however, the Obi then decided to lock up and I lost all my hard work!
Not to be beaten, I started again and this time I copied all the settings to a MS Word doc.

All the basic settings went fine, then I got to the digitmaps!  From what I had learnt I decided to make one change at a time and test.  I am finding digitmaps very confusing as there seems to be about 4 places where they can be entered.  Is there a post anywhere which explains it for idiots?

I worked on the France end local dialling rules first, and then I will add the VG settings.  One thing I can't understand is that when added 00447xxxxxxxxx to the local plan I get fast busy when I dial out.  This is to call UK mobiles from France as these numbers are included in my Orange calling plan.

I have posted my setup below.  It seems that I have to add the rules in more than one place which I don't think is right, but with my experimentation, if I get one conflict the whole thing falls apart!  Any advice would be appreciated.  

Line
(0[1-8]xxxxxxxx|3xxx|112|114|115|116xxx|118xxx|119|15|17|18|10xx|00447xxxxxxxxx)

10xx – Short codes for other operators
3xxx – Self service
112 – EU Emergency number
115 – SAMU Social
116xxx – EU Social numbers, (missing children etc.)
118xxx – Directory Enquiries
119 – Children in danger
15 – SAMU (Ambulance)
17 – Police
18 – Fire

00447 is where I'm having the problem.

Phone
(0[1-8]xxxxxxxx|3xxx|110|112|114|115|118xxx|119|15|17|18|10xx|00447xxxxxxxxx:li)|**0|***|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**8(Mli)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli)

OutBoundCall Route

{(0[1-8]xxxxxxxx|3xxx|110|112|114|115|118xxx|119|15|17|18|00447xxxxxxxxx):li},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**8:>(Mli)):li},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

SP2 Service
{>(<+:>|(Mli)):li}

As said before, it seems odd that I have to duplicate the digitmaps but it is the only way I can get it to work at the moment.

I will not be in France for another fortnight, so I will work on doing similar for the UK end to France.

A final questions, is it possible to save the configuration as it takes hours to reset everything if the box crashes!?

I have worked out that this cannot be rushed, and to test each change so that I can more easily correct any problems.

Cheers

Richard

QBZappy

How to BKUP config:

System Management->Backup Configuration

select the check marks. Note to read it you can open it up in M$ excel.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.