News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do I specify which SP to send star codes to? (re: voicemail)

Started by sofakng, January 02, 2013, 03:59:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sofakng

I'm testing a few things but here is my current setup:

SP1: Google Voice
SP2: CallCentric

I'm using SP1 (GV) for outgoing, and SP2 for incoming.

SP2 (CallCentric) has voicemail accessible by pressing *123.  However, if I press *123 it gets sent to GV since that's my default outgoing line.

How can I keep SP1 (GV) my default outgoing, but change only certain numbers (i.e. *123) to be sent to SP2?

EDIT:  Actually, I'm a little confused.  When I press a built-in OBI code like *78 (Do Not Disturb), does that get forward to my SIP provider or does turn on a "local" do not disturb mode for all lines?

CoalMinerRetired

**1 = SP1
**2 = SP2
**3 = SP3
**4 = SP4
**3 and **4 for Obi202/302 only.

**8 = Blue Tooth Phone (Obi202 and Obi302 only), or the Line Port on an Obi110
**9 = Obitalk Service

This is sort of documented under Outbound Call Route Configuration in the device config manual.

> How can I keep SP1 (GV) my default outgoing, but change only certain numbers (i.e. *123) to be sent to SP2?
Try dialing **2 then *123.

> EDIT:  Actually, I'm a little confused.  When I press a built-in OBI code like *78 (Do Not Disturb), does that get forward to my SIP provider or does turn on a "local" do not disturb mode for all lines?
The 'star codes' are processed by the "local" Obi unit.  That's why the **2 *123 above might now work. Easiest way is to try it first and report back if it doesn't work. I seem to recall other threads on the same subject.

infin8loop

**2*97 works for me for voip.ms on SP2.   ITSP Profile B DigitMap contains |*97|  

However I find it more convenient to have speed dials configured to check voice mail:  

Speed Dial 1: **1nnnnnnnnnn    nnnnnnnnnn = google voice number to get voice mail

Speed Dial 2: **2*97               for voip.ms voice mail

Then I just dial 1# or 2#.  They relate to SP1 and SP2.  If you use the OBiTALK portal to configure then speed dial 1 is forced to that pesky softphone which messes up the logical thinkiing of 1 for SP1 and 2 for SP2. I configure locally, otherwise I might use speed dials 11 and 12 to keep something logical.

Modify to your provider codes.    
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher

sofakng

Thanks for the information...

I did see that **1 and **2 will first choose an SP, and then you enter star codes for that SP, but I was hoping for a shortcut.

Example:

Instead of:  **2*123, just press *123 and have the OBI automatically send it to SP2.  I guess this isn't possible (or easy?)

QBZappy

Quote from: infin8loop on January 02, 2013, 05:50:51 PM
Speed Dial 1: **1nnnnnnnnnn    nnnnnnnnnn = google voice number to get voice mail

Speed Dial 2: **2*97               for voip.ms voice mail

Then I just dial 1# or 2#.  They relate to SP1 and SP2.  If you use the OBiTALK portal to configure then speed dial 1 is forced to that pesky softphone which messes up the logical thinkiing of 1 for SP1 and 2 for SP2. I configure locally, otherwise I might use speed dials 11 and 12 to keep something logical.

"Then I just dial 1# or 2#"

As infin8loop suggested, it couldn't be ay easier than this.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

sofakng

Oh, sorry!  Somehow I missed that!  That does sound perfect, thanks!

sofakng

Just to satisfy my curiosity, how does the OBI work with "CallerID Blocking" and other provider-specific features?

For example, let's say I'm dialing out using Google Voice.  Can the OBI really block my CallerID even though GV doesn't support this feature?

Also, what if my VOIP provider uses a DIFFERENT star code for a feature?  (for example, *78 = Do Not Disturb on the OBI, but *80 on CallCentric, etc)

CoalMinerRetired

Quote from: sofakng on January 03, 2013, 05:02:06 AM
Just to satisfy my curiosity, how does the OBI work with "CallerID Blocking" and other provider-specific features?

1) For example, let's say I'm dialing out using Google Voice.  Can the OBI really block my CallerID even though GV doesn't support this feature?

2) Also, what if my VOIP provider uses a DIFFERENT star code for a feature?  (for example, *78 = Do Not Disturb on the OBI, but *80 on CallCentric, etc)

Interesting questions. I started a thread with these questions a while ago.  There is no one section in any Obi documentation that answers this. However, what I picked up were these two high level points:

Under Star Code features (Device Admin Manual):
Star Code Features
- The following Star Codes can be used to access the indicated features. OBi Star Code Enabled Features Apply to All Voice Services.

Under Google Voice™ Service (Device Admin Manual):
Starting with firwmare release 1.2, the following features are supported:
-          Voice Service Features of the OBi Device.

That last point I took to mean all the star codes are implemented in a GV service.  But in reality it does not work as such. I was at one time hoping to find a list of which star codes work with GV.  Since then have more or less learned from experience which ones do and do not work.

To answer your questions:
1.) No, Caller ID block does not work with GV.  IME it will work with several of the major VoIP providers.
2.) The Obi star codes (specifically those sent at the beginning of a dial sequence) are always first processed by the Obi, and are never sent to the service provider. You don't have to worry if the service provider uses say *99 and the Obi uses say *78, between the Obi and the service provider a star code is turned into a message/transaction of the correct type. If or when you get dial tone from the service provider then you can use his or her star codes.  I hope this makes sense.

sofakng

Ahhh, OK.  Sending a SIP message (request?) makes sense.

If that's how it works, I would guess the processing would look like this:

Phone -> *78 (Do Not Disturb) -> OBi
OBi -> SIP Message to each provider "DO NOT DISTURB".

However, it seems possible that it might also work like this:

Phone --> *78 (Do Not Disturb) -> OBi
OBi -> (Internally sets Do Not Disturb mode)
Incoming Call -> OBi -> OBi rejects call because of DND mode

I guess it's possible to work either way?  I'd love to know the technical details though :)

infin8loop

I think at least for *78 it works like your second example:

Phone --> *78 (Do Not Disturb) -> OBi
OBi -> (Internally sets Do Not Disturb mode)
Incoming Call -> OBi -> OBi rejects call because of DND mode

I don't have personal experience but a thread from another user in this forum experienced this issue.  Apparently incoming calls appeared to be complete from his provider (voip.ms), yet the OBi wasn't ringing.
I made many suggestions based on their assertion that "nothing had changed" on the OBi. Well something had indeed changed, apparently *78 had been entered via the phone (I think they blamed it on the kids.. I tend to blame things on the beagle.. Stupid Beagle -- Lucy Van Pelt). I don't use the ObiTALK portal to configure, I configure locally so I may not be understanding what I thought I read.  I think I read that the user had checked the OBiTALK portal and DND was not activated.  But when they finally checked the OBi locally, the DND was indeed checked. This begs the rhetorical question -- would the OBiTALK portal have eventually been updated with the correct DND status or would the OBi DND status been unchecked when next synced to the OBiTALK portal?.. or perhaps neither.. they would have remained out of sync? I've had one root canal and I can honestly say I'd rather have another one than ever have to deal with the OBiTALK web portal. Yeah, I tried it, and like Siskel and Ebert gave it two thumbs down... way down. But then I code in COBOL for a living so my opinion probably no longer counts.  LOL
"This has not only been fun, it's been a major expense." - Gallagher