October 17, 2017, 06:16:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Obihai's lack of support for OBiON Android  (Read 343677 times)
AndyA

« on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:05 am »

After installing OBiON on my Nexus 7 with Android Jelly Beans ver 4.1, I experienced problems common to these threads:

Android app does not run in background
  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1337.0
Obion On T-Mobile Springboard?
  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3767.0
Android ICS issues
  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3467.0
OBiON cannot originate calls from Nexus 7
  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3798.0

To summarize, the problems are:
- OBiON does not stay on so you miss calls
- When you call your OBi110 from your own OBiON soft phone, Auto Attendant does not answer, so you can not even call home
- When you make a gateway call with OBiON, it connects but no audio on both ends

I did many tests to troubleshoot the problem with no success until I borrowed someone's LG Optimus S LS670 smartphone with Android Froyo ver. 2.2 on it. I then logged out of OBiON on my Nexus 7 then logged in with the LG LS670 to the same account. To my surprise, all problems I mentioned earlier DO NOT EXIST. So I can only conclude that OBiON/OBiTalk software has issues with certain later versions of Android.

These problems have been festering for a while with lack of response from OBi support. I and several commenters have tried to report this using the Support Request link (no phone support here) and only got a run around request to check something or a non-committal statement that "we will check on this". You also frequently see comments in the forum that OBiON needs some work. I think it's time that we all ask for it and for Obihai to START FIXING THINGS.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:42:41 am by AndyA » Logged
AndyA

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 07:19:24 am »

I suspect too that there are other problems on the OBiON topic that are related to un-maintained OBiON software.  They have not made an update to this software since October 29, 2011. There had been numerous new devices and versions of Android since then.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:23:14 am by AndyA » Logged
AndyA

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 07:27:51 am »

It's a sorry state when you find a component of a system you bought is abandoned by the vendor.  It seems Obihai is more focused on selling more hardware and putting updates to components like OBiON in the back burner.

Anyone care to comment?  Does anyone find inaccuracies in my test and statements? I'd really like to hear from Obihai support. Does anyone agree/disagree?
ESPisME

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 02:31:45 pm »

Obi costs $75 or less, one time.  I returned my $150 ooma and replaced it with obi.  The system is not perfect, but it seems workable.  The ooma app costs $10, and requires a premium account for $10  + ~$3 taxes per month.

The Obi works well out of the box, for free home calling with Google Voice.  The obi is open and reconfigurable, the ooma is closed and not easily modifiable.  I don't know what their $10 app is like, but obi app is free and works for outgoing calls; incoming calls less so it seems.

So our dilemma is that we have reason to rant and be outraged by the flaws and return the lousy devices in some cases, or we can be proactive and recognize the flaws and seek workarounds and fixes.  Even with the flaws, my obi works just as well as my ooma did and with less startup costs and less (or no) ongoing costs.  I didn't buy and subscribe to the Ooma app so I can't compare the apps.

Reading this forum I have found that there are other android apps and configurations of the obi that allow receiving incoming calls on your cell phone.  The solution may not be seamless, but it probably exists. 

Want to sell your Obi cheap?

I'll buy it!
AndyA

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 06:38:14 pm »

Selling something low priced is not an excuse to push something defective. Obihai markets all devices to have mobile capabilities through OBiON software. It shows right on their home page. What the home page does not qualify is that OBiON for Android does not fully work on later versions of Android. They are being neglectful because they know they have problems but they have not updated their software for almost a year.
AndyA

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 02:09:10 am »

It is symptomatic of a company that experiences initial success to focus on areas that give them the most profits. They tend to forget that the customers bought into the total package. Hence it is as I previously mentioned - a sorry state to find yourself using a component the company you invested in is now neglecting.

I think the whole OBi product line is a great idea. I bought into it to escape the tyranny and profiteering of Big Phone and cable companies. But now that profiteering seems to be seeping into the mindset of Obihai.

Thus, I invite everyone agreeing with me to voice your concerns here. Sign your name on this thread and request Obihai to maintain ObiON for Android. Thanks to QBZappy for concurrence on this thread: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3989.0
QBZappy
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 02:25:42 am »

AndyA,

I don't own an Android. I was pointing out your concern over this issue. I don't see obihai giving up on this platform. Good Luck.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.
ianobi

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 03:17:35 am »

+1 here. OBiON for Android needs a lot of work to bring it up to an acceptable standard.

On my Android ICS I now use CSipSimple and call my OBi110 via sip2sip. This avoids OBiON and OBiTALK. A sad reflection on those parts of the Obihai set of products.
scook4242

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 08:32:11 am »

+1.  This app needs to run and answer calls in the background.  I can't dedicate my phone as only an obi client.  The whole point of a smartphone is that it does a lot of things. 
lk96

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:26:09 am »

I just got a Google Nexus 3. And to my disappointment I also realized quickly
that the Obion up is not updated. On Google nexus the app doesn't even start.
It aborts instantly with a: "Unfortunately, Onion has stopped".

I was depending quite a bit on the app to dial to my home
Obi's through through Obitalk
and then dialing out from there, during international travels. I guess
I may still have to haul around my trusted Google Nexus One just for
"backwards compatibility".

In the remote chance that someone had any success with Obion on Google Nexus 3,
please let me know. I can happily use some tips on making it work.

L.
QBZappy

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 11:01:10 am »

lk96 ,

It aborts instantly with a: "Unfortunately, Onion has stopped".

I think you just invented a catchy new name for the Android version of the app. It has a nice ring to it, the OBi "OnionAPP" for Android.  Smiley

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.
obiJuanKanobi

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:22 pm »

I too was disappointed when I first started to use the Obion app on my Nexus S phone in March 2011 and discovered the app does not run in the background.

I then looked around and installed CSipSimple with a free number I got from a provider in NJ. CSipSimple works great, runs in the background and integrates with the native dailer, Google contacts, etc.

I use Obion for the outgoing calls and it mostly works well. Actually, sometimes when calling home, I'd have to call twice before both parties could hear each other (even when setting the call quality to the minimal setting). But recently, I got the latest Google Nexus phone with the T-mobile $30/month unlimited data (first 5G at on 4G network) plan, and now all calls made with Obion work fine, even with the call quality setting set to the best. I suspect it's because of now being on a 4G network (the Obion app description says it works best on WiFi or 4G). I still use CSipSimple for incoming calls, which continues to work great.

I agree it's a bit frustrating that Obihai has not invested more resources in creating a better Android app (though that decision is probably based on their business priorities). But given the overall price of this solution, it really doesn't bother me much (especially now that I'm on 4G and the Obion calls always work).

I would suggest using CSipSimple for your incoming calls (it's a better UI anyway) and see if you can get onto a 4G plan (if you don't have it already). That's what has worked well for me. Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 12:29:24 pm by obiJuanKanobi » Logged
lk96

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59:24 pm »

For me it's ok that Obion is not running in the background. I need it
mostly for dialing out through my home Obi device. Problem is
that I had issues with Obion. After few days of installing/uninstalling
it's now running on my Galaxy Nexus phone. But I have managed
to get my home Obi's into a "hang" state by placing calls that originate
from Obion.

For incoming calls I normally use talkatone or grooveIP.

Given that you are in NJ and you have Galaxy Nexus I'll send you a PM
to ask something about the network notifications you get with T-mobile.

L.
Drakon

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2012, 05:03:50 am »

+1 for more Android support. I would like the App to use the Bluetooth instead of the speaker.
mcgraham89

« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 02:27:05 pm »

+1 as well. It's been a year waiting for a new improved Android App. A good App would improve my Obi so much more, instead of jiggling SIP clients and Pbxes.org around.
Ed12

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2012, 04:34:50 am »

I bought Obi110 and installed at home. I travel a lot so one feature I was keen on was an ability to call Obi from Obion. To be honest, my previous device spa3102 was sufficient for all my needs. I just realised that Obion cannot connect properly to obi110. AA answers and upon pressing 1 to continue the call, it hangs up. Sometimes it hangs up while AA is responding. This happens only on 3g network. Wifi seems okay.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2012, 04:45:06 am by Ed12 » Logged
AndyA

« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2012, 12:53:20 pm »

Ed12,

What version of Android do you have?  Based on the test I made, ObiON was still functioning properly on Froyo. After that, it's probably of varying degree that ObiON has fallen into disrepair.  I know that most complaints recently has been with Ice Cream Sandwich and Jelly Bean. I don't know if anyone is having any luck on Honeycomb and Gingerbread.
AndyA

« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2012, 12:57:34 pm »

Has anyone noticed that they're getting intermittent notification on new posts to this thread?
Ed12

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2012, 09:23:51 pm »

I am using it on ICS. When connected to wifi, Obion connects well. I am able to call the Obi110. However, this does not work at all on 3g. The call gets dropped sometimes before AA picks up, or while AA menu is in progress, or when pressing 1 to continue the call. I am hoping these issues are resolved quickly. I am not really looking for a replacement of other apps such as Viber or Skype or Line on android that allow free voice calls within their network over 3g. At a min we need a working app to connect to Obi hardware. I tried the iphone version of Obion and it works fine on 3g.
Billy2Hats

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2012, 09:32:47 pm »

+1 here. OBiON for Android needs a lot of work to bring it up to an acceptable standard.

On my Android ICS I now use CSipSimple and call my OBi110 via sip2sip. This avoids OBiON and OBiTALK. A sad reflection on those parts of the Obihai set of products.

How do you do that? ie  xxx xxx xxx@obitalk.com
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: