News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

GSM / cellular line

Started by Jorge, December 27, 2011, 12:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jorge

It would be great to have an Obi device which includes a SIM card to have a GSM cellular line.

It'd be specially useful in countries like mine (Ecuador) where calling from mobile to mobile or landline to landline is really cheap (or free if using included minutes) but mobile to landline and landline to mobile can be costly.

For example, I'd like to be able to call from my mobile to my Obi's AA (using my included minutes) and have my call forwarded to a local landline (using minutes included in my home phone). All this without loosing other great features already provided by Obi110.

Stewart

Though more expensive than an OBi (in some cases much more), there are a variety of devices that address this issue and could be connected to your OBi.

You can find GSM-to-VoIP gateways http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/VOIP+GSM+Gateways (for single channel, PORTech is popular), GSM-to-FXS (that you'd connect to the Line port of the OBi; they usually have an FXO pass through that permits a landline to also be connected), and Bluetooth-to-FXS (that you'd use together with an old cell phone, left connected to its charger).

You may find a used device at a good price that meets your needs.

Shashank

Even i have the same query. Looking to use Obi110 along with a GSM gateway rather than PSTN line.

@Stewart, can you please suggest a cheap Bluetooth to FXS device which can i be used with Obi110....
Or a GSM Gateway with FXS within $100?

Searched a lotto but couldn't find any :(

Cheers

Stewart

See http://www.myxlink.com/xlink_bt.aspx

and this thread: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27305762-GSM-to-VOIP-Solution

If the remote location is usually unattended, beware that with any of the three-piece solutions, you will probably be unable to reboot the cell phone remotely.

In what country would this be installed? Approximate estimated usage? (You may be able to find a DID from there, and/or termination to there, with good quality at reasonable cost.)

Shashank

@Stewart

It would be installed in India. (But i will be in the United States using OBiON iPhone App) Usage is casual home usage...

This is what exactly i was planning on:

Insert my local Indian SIM in the GSM Gateway and connect it to Obi110 (Will be in India). Use my iPhone app to connect to the Obi110 and bridge call with GSM SIM whenever i have to make calls anywhere in India....

AND route all the calls to the GSM number to the iPhone App that is installed on my phone.

Another related query, currently a PSTN line to connected and Google Voice is configured with SP1. Is it possible to route all the incoming calls to the PSTN lines to a USA Number THROUGH the SP1 (GVoice)?

Cheers

Sattvic

I am glad somebody already put this in the wish list. In India the termination between IP & PSTN is not legalized yet - except some specific operators. Not open to public yet. This is due to some national security issues.

The problem is most of the GSM Gateways are expensive, in the range of $150 - $200. It is really expensive. It would be useful if an Obi model available with integrated  GSM gateway. Even in US it would be useful, we can make it use like a 911 trunk. Please have model with integrated GSM Gateway.

@Shashank

I am already on this mission. I have a Obi110 in India and Obi202 in US. I need to change digit maps/dial plans to route calls appropriately. I plan to buy of of the cheapest GSM Gateway available in ebay - this just works on two frequency range, perfect for India costs about $30. I could bridge Obi110 with a GSM SIM - the calls could be as low as 0.1c/min. Lets see how this is going to go.

I will let you know the outcome.

Sattvic

I found another use if the GSM Gateway is integrated - I can just pop in an unused SIM and use that for 911 calls.  This will avoid routing the calls through a long way through E911 routes. The cell tower will immediately forward the call to local dispatch center.

StanSimmons

http://www.obihai.com/obibt/

Use OBiBT to Make and Receive Calls on the OBi202 Via a Mobile Phone Service

rsriram22

+1 for the gsm gateway thing.

@sattvic, what is the product you got for 30 bucks ? can you please share the link..

my current setup is that i have airtel landline connected to the obi110 in india and calling is great bothways. in fact, i have given my family the ability to call from anywhere to the airtel phone and AA answers it and then they can call any phone in US (usually me)..

obi202 sounds promising; but i read from other threads that it still not functional. otherwise it will suit my needs as well. ie., it's not primetime for obi202 BT as yet..
have two 100s and one 110