News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Getting rid of phone spammers

Started by Hyrules, August 29, 2012, 08:39:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyrules

Hi, I have an usually high level of phone spammers and scammers lately and i'm trying to get rid of them. So i`ve decided to filter their phone number with the user digitmap on my obi202. Since i'm with freephoneline.ca and there is no busy line signal i can send them to so I have to send them directly to the voicemail. I was wondering if it would be a better way to handle them like building a small asterix server only for that ( I have vmware and can build any server i want) or use the auto attendant and send them to the goodbye prompt that would eventually hang up (if it would work ?) Any input would be appreciated.

jimates

- send them to a free google voice account.
- The incoming calls to google voice will have the caller id of the service you use to send them there
- Set your google voice account to block all calls from that phone number. It will play a sit tone and the ....number is no longer in service....

Cybernet

Look up the program called Phonetray. How it works is, you have a USB 56k modem plugged into your PC (or any computer you want to run 24/7 to stop these calls). I personally use an acer netbook hidden in the corner with my OBI100. You plug your Obihai box into the line port of the 56k modem, then the phone into the second port. You can block whole area codes, or certain numbers in different locations, or you can block it all and let in what numbers you do know. It uses your phones existing CallerID to log and filter the calls. I hope this helps. Cheers

Hyrules

thanks to both of you for your input. I like the phonetray solution. it's simple and I actually have a server working 24/7 so I could filter the calls there. If there is a power failure i believe the modem will still work by letting the signal go thru but wont filter anything. I see that they are working on a Phonetray pro in beta testing right now seems to me that it will have a lot of features. I'll look at home tonight to see if i have an pci modem somewhere which I believe i have.

Hyrules

the only thing I dont like about the idea of the Phonetray is that the phone will mostlikely ring at least once. the time the caller id get sent to the modem and phonetray answers the call otherwise tell me if i'm wrong.

Cybernet

It has to ring at least once cause of the use of CallerID to do the filtering. I don't mind it, since I get the satisfaction of knowing that if it rings once, nice another telemarketer goodbye lol. Besides if you really want to annoy them, just put on a 20 minute slap chop commercial wav file, and waste there time, it will stop playing when they hangup lol.

Hyrules

well I might do with it. that was what i wanted to do. Something annoying or plain and simple The number dialed is not in service in a 20 minute loop just to make sure the bugger gets the message. There are plenty here :

http://www.payphone-directory.org/sounds.html

Cybernet

Oh no worries mate, the program comes with its own sounds already. It comes with the default tones and disconnection sounds. I even got some Billy Mays in there from a sound board I downloaded just in case I really want to be a prick lol. Im right now helping to beta test the Phonetray Pro. It will even have an answering machine function and even Online Lookup for the numbers. I gave the Idea to Michael (Creator), to have different options for Online Lookup. Say for instance, one site doesnt have the number, you can switch the programs defaults to look on 800notes.com or whocallsme etc etc. I signed up to the Do Not Call List, so I can have more telemarketers calling me lol. Canada sells there list to who ever wants to buy it for marketing. All I know is they don't last long when they call me.

Hyrules

Funny thing that i'm from Canada too. I would be insulted to learn that the Do Not Call List which i've also subscribed is sold to companies. 800notes.com is really practical. Often if I want to know if the number is scam or telemarketer i go there. You see all people complain about those weird numbers there.

Cybernet

They make millions off our numbers being registered. It should be illegal but they are the government afterall. Legalized Mafia basically.

Hyrules

Unfortunately. I'll try your setup tonight at home. The worst things right now is the call i'm getting are often overseas. yesterday it was numbers like 1001. phone would'nt stop ringing at 6:45 am. My mother wasn't happy. Last week it was 202 regional code.

Cybernet

Just set it to block all long distance numbers, and when a call comes in that isnt white listed it will block it. Remember you can allow certain area codes. I allow 519 613 and 226, so anyone calling from those numbers are fine. Everything else gets blocked. Say you dont want Toronto to call you, but you know a friend that lives in Toronto to be able to. All you have to do is whitelist your friends number. Your friend will be able to call, and it will block everything else in Toronto without problems. Its handy. Youll have a blast with it tonight trust me. Oh forgot to mention there is an option in Phonetray called quiet time. You can tell it to block all phone calls from a certain time to whenever, also can let the white listed numbers through during that time frame also if you want. You can set it to start blocking all calls from 11pm till 6am etc. Cheers

Lavarock7

Once I identify a spammer, I add them to a forward. I have a voicemail account and have uploaded an audio file grabbed from a telephone archive site. The audio starts out with a SIT tone, then the following message...

"Due to the earthquake in the area you are calling, we are unable to complete your call as dialed"... it goes on but you can see the humor.

When I was running an Asterisk server, I sent telemarketers into a queue where no one would ever answer. They heard the "Your call is very important to us... and You are Caller number 1 in the queue". Then Instead of music, I played commercials for a product I sell, over and over and over and over and over. :-)
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

Hyrules

ohoohhh that is priceless i would love to see the face of the caller. I have found a old modem. I'm not quite sure if it support caller id while on the line. From my research on the web it's a Aopen FM56-PX v.92 PN:911.ac001.398 I just dont want to lose the function if i'm on the line and someone else is calling. I'll try it friday as I dont work.

Ostracus

Quote from: Lavarock7 on August 29, 2012, 03:28:17 PM

When I was running an Asterisk server, I sent telemarketers into a queue where no one would ever answer. They heard the "Your call is very important to us... and You are Caller number 1 in the queue". Then Instead of music, I played commercials for a product I sell, over and over and over and over and over. :-)

Suicide pills?

Lavarock7

Quote from: Ostracus on August 30, 2012, 02:39:28 AM

Suicide pills?

"Hello, we have identified you as a telemarketer. We know what a dismal life you have, or else you would be able to qualify for a real job. We have some medication that will be of help to you. We market it as Drain-O, because it drains your bad feelings away so you can function better. You will be saying "Oh" before very long. If you order in the next 3 minutes, we can offer free expidited shipping. Just press the coupon code "666" on your dialpad now!"
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com