News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How do I enter my Obi telephone number in Google Voice?

Started by rosariorose9, September 05, 2012, 03:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosariorose9

I have a Vtech phone connected to my Obi100, and wish to use it for calls coming in to my Google Voice number.  When I attempt to add that phone as a new phone to Google Voice using my Obi phone number, however, Google indicates that "country of the forwarding phone does not match your country", and it will not add the phone.  So, that Vtech phone obviously never rings.  Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Thanks!!

jimates

You don't add a phone number to google voice to use the Obi. You set your google voice to forward calls to your Gmail's Google Talk, and then configure the Obi to answer those calls.

http://www.obihai.com/tutorials-tips.html

You must have a gmail account.
Your log in for gmail and google voice must be the same
You must have chat set up in gmail.
You must set gmail to receive incoming calls (install the voice and video plug in)
You must place one successful call to a normal phone number from within gmail
You must select Google Talk as a forwarding phone in your google voice.

Configure the Obi for your gmail account from the Obitalk dashboard.

rosariorose9

Thanks for the response.  I actually had already viewed and followed that tutorial, but all incoming calls to Google Voice immediately go to voice mail, and so the phone does not ring.  Obviously I have screwed up a setting in Google Voice, but I can't figure out which one it is... ???

rosariorose9

Fixed it.  Turns out that call screening in 'on' by default in Google Voice.  Turning it 'off' solved the problem.  The phone now rings.  Sorry for my newbie ignorance, but thank you again for your help!