News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Requesting help improving Dial Plan / Digit Map understanding

Started by mish, September 05, 2012, 09:38:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mish

I have read the DigitMap portion of the admin guide.
Based on that and an earlier post http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=2779.0, here is my current understanding. I have Obi202.

For Ph1, Ph2, AA (auto attendant) there is DigitMap and OutboundCallRoute.
For SP1, .. SP4, there is DigitMap.

Now, I want to control how certain calls made from Ph1 are routed (and I would like this logic to be different for Ph2).
SP1 is the primary line for Ph1. Last time I had asked a question about how calls made from Ph1 should be routed, I was advised that I should insert code in SP1's DigitMap such that calls beginning with 011 are prefixed with **4.

However, I would rather do the processing within Ph1's digitmap. That way, I can have separate outbound call routing logic for Ph1, Ph2, AA and for the bluetooth attachment that I hope to have for my cell phone.

Is it possible to do such routing in Ph1's digitmap, by prefixing **4 to calls that begin with 011 and are dialed on Ph1? Or is it inherently better to put routing logic in SP1 etc.

Btw, my basic understanding of how this routing thing works is as follows:
Ph1 --> Numbers entered. Call made. --> Ph1's DigitMap is looked up. That in turn looks up other DigitMaps as it generally does look up the primary line DigitMap. Number may or may not be modified after such lookup. --> Number is sent to Ph1's OutboundCallRoute. --> Then the number is sent to SP1, SP2, AA, or other line based on that.

Is the above right? If so, I hope that Ph1's digitmap itself should be capable of making the change.

Thanks in advance for replying. This stuff is tough! :)

jimates

It is recommended to leave the digit maps alone. Route the calls from the outbound call routes.

As you said....... I can have separate outbound call routing logic for Ph1, Ph2, AA and for the bluetooth attachment.......

If you want separate outbound call routing you do that in the call routes, not the digitmaps. That is why there is not just one outbound call route, there is one for each outgoing terminal.

Check this thread for an explanation

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=513.msg3001#msg3001

here are just a few of the highlights from that thread

The OutboundCallRoute sends calls to a terminal (port), not to another DigitMap or Trunk Group.

What's important to take away from all this is that when you make a change to a DigitMap, you must be looking at the whole picture, not just the small fragment on the page you're staring at

mish

Thank you!!

I think I finally understand how DigitMaps are used.

Step 1. Ph1 number dialed  - DigitMap for Ph1 is called upon (which in turn calls Primary Line DigitMap).
Step 2. Ph1 Outbound call route, routes the number to the appropriate port.

And the advised method to route to different lines (ports) is by making changes to the DigitMap of the primary line of Ph1.

So I have made the following changes to my Obi202.
All Ph1 and Ph2, DigitMaps and OutboundCallRoute have been set to default.

DigitMap of SP1 has been modified by me to be,
(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<**4>011xx.|<**3>1xx|<**3>1xxx|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

Here is what I am trying to achieve.
I want to send, 1xx numbers to go to SP3. It works that way.
I also want to send 1xxx numbers to go to SP3. That number is rejected. Code 603 (declined) in the call log.
Q1. Why does this happen?

Also, instead of just adding **4 to numbers beginning with 011, I would like to strip-off 011, in addition to prefixing the number with **4.
So if a person calls 0116543214321, I would like the number to be translated to **46543214321. So the Ph1 OutboundCallRoute will send this number to SP4 as 6543214321.
Q2. Can this magic be also coded into the DigitMap of SP1?

Thanks!

---
Update after some study of the manual
I think what I need to do for Q2 above is as follows:
<**4><011:>xx.
I will try it now.
Update2:
So this worked.

Now I still have Q1 above to be answered...