News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBiWiFi Adapter for OBi202- Connect to new network without Ethernet Cable

Started by Young, September 01, 2012, 04:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Young

Please forgive me, I'm a newbie!!

Is it possible to use the OBiTalk portal to connect the OBi202 to another wireless network without having to connect a computer and Ethernet cable to it?  This would be an awesome solution for portability when traveling.

Sorry if it's a stupid question.

pc44

Hi Young,

Yes, you can connect an OBi202 to a new wireless network without using any ethernet cables!  However, you must own the OBiWiFi adapter to do so.  The OBiWiFi can be purchased separately and can also sometimes be purchased with the OBi202 as a bundled package.

Hope it helps,
pc44 :)

Young

PC44,

I do have the wi-fi adapter for the obi202. But the only way I know of to set up the wireless connection, you have to connect the Ethernet cable to the computer and the OBi202 then bring up a web address to get the wireless to connect. 

I guess my question is whether it is possible for the OBiTalk portal to be able to find the OBi202 on the network(since the portal knows the units mac address) to set up the wireless connection. This may not be possible, but worth a shot to ask.

pc44

Young,

Well, your OBi device will need to have some sort of internet access in order for the OBiTalk Portal to be able to setup the device for the first time.  However, if your OBi does have internet access, the OBiTalk Portal allows you to access the configuration of your OBi without knowing its IP address.  You simply have to add your OBi device to the OBiTalk Portal.  This is done by following the instructions within the Portal.  You will need to press a few buttons on the telephone that is connected directly to your OBi202.  And that's it.

Once you've added the OBi to the OBiTalk Portal, you can now access its configuration settings via any internet connection.  From there, you can change settings, tweak settings, etc.  Again, this only works if you have the OBi connected to the internet in some shape or fashion.

I'm thinking this is not quite what you wanted, right? :(
pc44