News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Include OpenVPN client in new OBi 201 product line

Started by QBZappy, February 25, 2012, 08:24:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBZappy

Before the new units are officially introduced I hope to see the following. Include an OpenVPN client in the unit. It will solve many NAT issues, one way audio, encrypt voip calls, and also give a more simple way to remotely configure the unit.

Some products from Yealink and Grandstream have this ability. Anyone else agree?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Quote from: QBZappy on February 25, 2012, 08:24:21 AM
Before the new units are officially introduced I hope to see the following. Include an OpenVPN client in the unit. It will solve many NAT issues, one way audio, encrypt voip calls, and also give a more simple way to remotely configure the unit.

Some products from Yealink and Grandstream have this ability. Anyone else agree?

How about support for IPv6?

carl

I could not agree more.

Stewart

I agree that this would be a very powerful feature.  It would (generally) permit operation in locations where the ISP or government is blocking VoIP, as well as behind restrictive firewalls often found in enterprises, universities, hotels, etc.

It's a useful troubleshooting tool, e.g. to quickly elminate a router's ALG as a possible problem cause, even if production use of a VPN is impractical.

lhm.

Obviously a core function that would benefit users world wide.

MichiganTelephone

I agree that this would be a great feature to have (right after additional Service Provider slots ;)).  I can also tell you that it would very likely make that device a big hit with the "PBX in a Flash" crowd, who seem to hate the idea of opening any ports to their PBX (to prevent hacking the PBX), but they do seem to be okay with using a VPN so that individual devices can "tunnel" into the PBX without exposing ports (other than the VPN port) to the outside.

I would also agree that OpenVPN is the only logical choice.  I've seen other adapters (such as the Atcom) that have VPN support, but instead of using OpenVPN they use some kind of proprietary VPN and nobody can figure how how to use it, so it's worthless.
Inactive, no longer posting or responding to messages.  Goodbye and good luck.  Some of my old Obihai-related blog posts have been moved to http://tech.iprock.com - note this in NOT my blog; I have simply given the owner permission to repost some of my old stuff.

pc44

I somehow only now stumbled across this feature request thread.  I must say, Wow... slick idea!!  Definitely has my interest.

+1 for this feature request (just wish I had thought of it! ;D)

pc44

Ostracus

ASUS I believe uses OpenVPN in their high-end routers. Not to mention the running of alternative firmware opens that option for others. Remember some of the commentary when it was announced that the Obi202 would have a built-in router?

Cybernet

I personally just use PFSense as my my main firewall/gateway, and have my obi100 behind it on the 24 port gigabit switch. I run my Obi100 through Openvpn to another business site without any issues. PFSense is free and can run on any old machine 128mb of ram or more. Its better then any router you can buy hands down. Hope this helps. Cheers