News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Changeable WAN MAC address

Started by wasagabeachvillage, September 07, 2012, 04:23:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wasagabeachvillage

My ISP will not give my OBi202 an IP. I need to set my own MAC address.

QBZappy

MAC Address Cloning is mentioned in the user guide. You should ask Obi support if it is implemented.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

pc44

wasagabeachvillage,

Just a question... have you tried resetting the modem?  I know Cable Modems especially are notorious for binding the MAC address and will not bind again until the modem has been reset.  Sometimes this means pressing the tiny red pin hole button with a paper clip or pen point for 30 seconds.  Then, re-connect the OBi202 directly to the modem.

Just an off-the-wall thought.  Carry on!  :)
pc44

wasagabeachvillage

Haven't tried resetting the modem --- good idea. I'll try & let U know.
TNX

wasagabeachvillage

Reset the modem.... no joy  ??? By the way I have installed the latest firmware (build 3397) and I do not see any mention of MAC cloning. Maybe a Moderator will read this and give us a clue.

QBZappy

wasagabeachvillage,

I don't see a way of setting the MAC address in the config pages either, however if you do a search in the guide you will see that they claim to support it. In the Network – Application Details almost at the end of the doc. (P201). Only Obi support can confirm if it is supported. Send them an email. They usually respond, and let us know.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

Ostracus

Quote from: wasagabeachvillage on September 07, 2012, 04:23:40 PM
My ISP will not give my OBi202 an IP. I need to set my own MAC address.

What modem do you have? Resetting a modem is unplugging the power cord for  about five minutes, then plugging it back in. Also some modems will not go into DHCP mode and assign addresses unless disconnected from the cable line.

wasagabeachvillage

My modem/router is in bridge mode. It does not assign IPs, my ISP does.
I noticed that the MAC address is shown in the config backup file. I tried to edit the backup file and then restore it, but it did'nt seem to care..... back to the drawing board  ???

pc44

Have you considered just calling the Cable Company and asking them to reset your modem for you over the phone?  This might be an easy solution.

Otherwise, as Ostracus requested, please let us know what model modem you are using (i.e. Motorola Surfboard SBxxxx, SMC, etc).

Keep us posted,
pc44

QBZappy

wasagabeachvillage,

Perhaps you can try this. It may not work. When the OBi202 is in router mode you have access to the mac address fields.

Router Configuration
    WAN Settings
    LAN Settings
    DHCP Reservation <- try spoofing the mac here by using router ip (default    192.168.10.1) + mac address you need.

wasagabeachvillage

pc44: for what it's worth I have a DPC3825, which is irrelevant since it's in bridge (stupid) mode.
zappy: DHCP reservation is for someone connecting to the LAN port to make sure they receive the same ip at all times.
I asked the question of support; let's see what they say.

QBZappy

wasagabeac,
I told you it would not work.  :)

wasagabeachvillage

I sent the question re: MAC address to Support yesterday... Apparently they are out to lunch.  ;D