News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Digit Map Help needed.

Started by GregoryZ, September 07, 2012, 09:49:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GregoryZ

Where are our current Digit Map Experts (azrobert, ionobi, jimates, PC44, QBZappy, etc.)?   ;D

I would like your help on two things, please.  I hope you don't consider me lazy.  I just can't seem to grasp the digit maps.  :)

I'm setting up a new OBi110 for the office where I work.  I'm convinced it will save them a lot of money in Long Distance fees.  There is no need for International Calling.

Question #1:

With SP1 setup with GV, I would like all calls to go out using SP1, with the exeption of 911 and One other local number.  The one Local Number and 911 will need to go out on the Line Port; (li).  
I've tried to explain to the folks there, that they can press "*" and then the one local number needed, but they think it is too complex for them.   :-\  What is the digit map for routing 911 and this one local number to the Line Port?

Question #2 came up after I was searching for an answer to question #1.  This may get interesting (or not) :)  

I came accross this older post. http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3106.msg20737#msg20737
I'm wondering if I am understanding this correctly.

Quote from: RonR on April 24, 2012, 01:32:00 PM

Quote from: ssturner66 on April 24, 2012, 01:18:18 PM
my local calling area now has 2 different area codes but they are both local calls, so how would I account for that? The area codes are: 403 and 587.

(<aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|403xxxxxxx|587xxxxxxx|<**1>1xxxxxxxxxx|<**1>011xx.)

where aaa is the area code (403 or 587) you wish to be assumed when 7-digit numbers are dialed.

Would this allow me to dial 7 digits (Via SP1/GV) and the call go to the correct area code?  I didn't think that this was possible.

I'm outsidde of Portland, Oregon, and although I'm in area code 503, some calls are considered Long Distance even if they are a 503 area code.  And the same holds true for a second area code in this area.  Wierd, but true.

Our problem has always been while calling from the POTS line.  We don't always know if a call going to a 503 area code is Long Distance or not, until we actually call it.  So, we dial the 1+ area code (or not) when making a call.  Then we wait for a recorded msg. saying either a 1 must be used to make the call, or we don't need to dial a 1.  So, we then have to hang up and call again, with or without the 1.  What a pain in the rear!

I've got the OBi110 setup for 7 digit dialing within the 503 area code.  But it sure would be nice if I could dial 7 digits and let the device figure out the Area Codes in my situation.

Anyway... Will the digit map that RonR gave, allow me to 7 digit dial within the area codes that I specify to replace the 403 & 587 in his example?

-G
OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

jimates

That digit map still only allows 7 digit dialing to one of the two area codes.

You choose which of the two area codes you want to use for 7 digit dialing. You can use 7 or 10 digit dialing to that area code, and you would still use 10 digit dialing to the other one.

The Obi can't figure out which requires a certain dialing sequence without giving it all the info it would need. That would mean telling the Obi one or the other of the two criteria, which ever is less info (which require 7 digits or which require 11 digits.

Then one would be default and the other would be changed by the Obi.
You would need to tell it every exchange that required the extra digits and then it would know when to add it.

jimates

The default for 911 is the line port. Unless you change it or select a different service for 911 when setting up the service. Since you only added GV, and that option is not available when setting it up, the default should still be the line.

You can check the phone port outbound call route to make sure
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<#:>|911):li},{**0:aa}..............

GregoryZ

Thanks Jimates!

I figured it was too far fetched of an idea.  :) :)  

I also figured that 911 was already set for LI.  I was pretty sure anyway.  I've seen plenty of posts about it.

So..... Where in the route do I add the one: (503)-678-#### number, so it goes to LI not SP1? (For that matter any number within the (503)-678-#### would be accpetable since it isn't a long distance number.)

-G

Ostracus

Lets just say when it comes to telephony, things can get complicated. ;)

jimates

try this  {(<#:>|911|<503>678 xxxx):li}

it may need a 1 in there.

How will they be dialing the number. 1 503 678 xxxx or 503 678 xxxx or 678 xxxx.

QBZappy

GregoryZ,

Calls made directly to the Li will not show in the OBi call history, if that matters.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

There is always more than one answer  :)

The exact number format will depend on your answer to jimates question. If your Phone Port Primary Line is PSTN, then you could just put the suggested rule <503>678xxxx into the Line Port DigitMap (Mli).

If your Phone Port Primary Line is SP1 Service, then put <**8503>678xxxx in ITSP A Digit Map (Msp1).

Both the above will mean the calls show in Call History.

azrobert

I'm a little confused on how your POTS line works.
Do you dial 7 or 10 digits for local 503 numbers?
Is there a 2nd area code that is local?

If you did this:

7 or 10 digits routed to LI port
11 digits routed to SP1

They would try 7 or 10 digits first.
If that failed, then dial 11 digits for GV.

Isn't that what they are doing now on the POTS line?
Checking for a local number first would be the only difference.
Before they could check for either local or long distance first.

GregoryZ

Thanks guys.  Sorry I didn't get back to you yesturday, I got dragged out to a much needed BBQ, and live music at a local Bar, until late last night.   8)

Ostracus,
Complicated is an Understatement.  After just a quick scan of the link, I had to take the dog for a walk to clear my head.   ;D

Quote from: jimates on September 08, 2012, 12:10:04 AM
How will they be dialing the number. 1 503 678 xxxx or 503 678 xxxx or 678 xxxx.
I'm thinking that we'll just dial "678-xxxx".  My thoughts are that any number within the 503 area code will be dialed without the area code.  I'm not certain, due to the lack of testing.  This one number is for a Voice Mail Box with the current Phone Co.  I just know that if the call goes out the SP1 (GV), that when it is answered, a recording is played asking for the "Mail Box Number".  When dialed direct, it goes straight to new messages.  Just like calling your own Cell number from your Cell Phone or GV# from the GV line.  Typical VM action.

I was told to dial the number as printed on the instruction sheet.  I've always dialed the Area Code, so I'll have to try it to see what happens.

Quote from: QBZappy on September 08, 2012, 01:05:18 AM
Calls made directly to the Li will not show in the OBi call history, if that matters.
I don't think this will be a problem.  None of the folks are Techy enough to care, and we all know my skills are minimal.   :D

Quote from: ianobi on September 08, 2012, 03:48:00 AM
If your Phone Port Primary Line is SP1 Service, then put <**8503>678xxxx in ITSP A Digit Map (Msp1).
Both the above will mean the calls show in Call History.
Ianobi,
For some reason, as soon as I saw your post, I thought.... Why not put it as a Speed Dial.  Hmmmm, If I put **8503-678-xxxx as a speed dial, it would go out on Li?   I think the simple format of say "3#" would be acceptable with everyone in the office.  But, I would still like it to work correctly if it were dialed too.

Will this add any delays to the call going out?

Quote from: azrobert on September 08, 2012, 11:44:48 PM
I'm a little confused on how your POTS line works.
Do you dial 7 or 10 digits for local 503 numbers?
Is there a 2nd area code that is local?
I think that 7 digits are dialed for local numbers in both area codes.  I'll have to double check.  I'm not sure about everyone in the office, but I always just dial the area code.  The reason being, is that I don't know the local prefixes (I just moved out here.) and then I wait for the phone company to tell me if I need to first dial a "1".  Again, I'm not sure how the others do it, but I think they are doing it the same way.

Yes, there are two area codes that appear to be "local".  It seems wierd to me.

7 or 10 digits routed to LI port
11 digits routed to SP1

They would try 7 or 10 digits first.
If that failed, then dial 11 digits for GV.

Isn't that what they are doing now on the POTS line?
Checking for a local number first would be the only difference.
Before they could check for either local or long distance first.
Yes, that is pretty much what is going on now.  And we're all pretty fed up with it.  So, I'm wanting to make the 503 area code the defult, and dial just 7 digits.  Then, we will always dial 10 digits for any other area code.

If I'm able to dial just 7 digits and be able to correctly connect to the voice mail box, then I think I'll go with <**8503>678xxxx in ITSP A Digit Map (Msp1).

Can I modify it like this: <**8503>678xxxx|<**8>678xxxx so it would work with either 10 or 7 digtits?  Or is it going to work just the way it is?

Will the above still allow for a speed dial of: **8503678xxxx?

Here is the current DigitMap for ITSP A:(*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1503>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

Should it now be this?: (<**8503>678xxxx|*xx|1xxxxxxxxxx|<1503>[2-9]xxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

Thanks for your time, everyone!!

-G

Lavarock7

Just a thought. I am assuming that the number you are dialing is an inbound general VM number that many people use. If your call goes out GV to the voice mail system, the voice mail system sees the Google Voice number and thus asks what mailbox you want, because they don't recognize the number.

If you call through your POTS line, the caller ID is correct and their system uses that to direct the call into the proper mailbox already.

GV does not allow you to change the Caller ID presented to a called party.

As an aside: Some VOIP services allow spoofing of a Caller ID and that is why you ALWAYS want a password on a voice mail box. Someone could spoof your phone number and just listen to your VM if there is no password.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

azrobert

I just had a thought you might consider.
I'm making several assumptions here.
First, it appears you had one phone line before you purchased the OBi110.
With one line you don't have a lot of people in the office.
Now, it sounds like you have all the phones connected to the OBi110 phone port.

You now have two lines (GV and POTS), but you can only use one line at any point in time, since all the phones are connected to the OBI110.
I told you I was making a lot of assumptions.

Buy another phone.
I was at Costco today and they have a cordless phone with 3 handsets for $50.
Here's a phone with 1 corded and 5 cordless handsets for $68.
  http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4092.0

Connect the new phone directly to the POTS line.
Now you can use both lines simultaneously.
The OBI110 can still be connected to the POTS line, but someone on the OBI110 connected to the POTS line would tie up both lines.

GregoryZ

azrobert,

You're pretty good on your assumtions.   :)

I work at an RV Park.  There is usually only one person in the office at a time.  But, there are Three of us here.  It's the other two that are rather set in thier ways.  :)

Yes, there is only one Phone line.  And a Fax that comes in. (I'll work on getting it in the mix later)

I haven't installed the OBi just yet.  I'm trying to make sure that all is working before I do.  I hooked it all up the other day just for a test, and that is when I discovered the Voice Mail hick-up.  :)

I saw the link for the Corded and 5, on another post.  (I think it was from Jimates.)  We really don't have a need for it here.  I appriciate your thoughts though.

My objective is to simply reduce the Long Distance Fees.  We return calls from all over the country.  I'm hoping I can incorporate our Fax on SPA 2 later, for the same reason.

We already have an established phone number.  It is on all kinds of Printed Material, Business Cards, and of course on the Web Site.  My obstical is going to be to convince the Owners to allow for a different Caller ID on any Out Going calls, and of course the possibility of having to get Voice Mail from both our current carrier, and GV if a caller returns a call by choosing the number on thier caller ID instead of the number we ask them to call us back on, in the event of Phone Tag.  :)  (Does that make sence?)  

Maybe later, we can port our number to GV, but we all know what kind of nightmare Porting can be.  And ... Who knows what it could cost us in 2013.  Being that it is a Business Line, I'm not sure I am ready to make that kind of a pitch to the Owners yet.

As for the OBi110 workings... All I need to do is make sure that the Out Bound call to the existing VM gets placed via Li.

Did you get a chance to look at my digit map I modified with your suggestion, above?  Will it work the way I have it?

Thanks!!
-G

Ostracus

Local Calling Guide (yes folks it takes a database to untie a Gordian knot).

GregoryZ

Nice Link, Ostracus.

I looked up the Local access from my Area Code and Prefix.  There are a Lot of them.  No wonder I get even begin to guess which ones to dial direct, and which ones to add a "1" to.  :)

-G

Ostracus

If I was to hazard a guess (a big guess, I'm researching it now), if the call stays confined to your local LATA then it's local. If it goes to another LATA then it most likely is long distance.

azrobert

If CallerID is a big concern, maybe you should consider another provider.
There are a lot of dirt cheap providers that can spoof CallerID.
Also, GV probably will not be free forever.

ianobi

If it is only one number involved here, then your idea of using a speed dial seems like the answer.

No need to change digit maps. Use trunk format li(503678xxxx).

Using trunk format bypasses digit maps, which may also cut out any OBi dialling delays.

ianobi

Sorry, I missed some of this:
QuoteIanobi,
For some reason, as soon as I saw your post, I thought.... Why not put it as a Speed Dial.  Hmmmm, If I put **8503-678-xxxx as a speed dial, it would go out on Li?   I think the simple format of say "3#" would be acceptable with everyone in the office.  But, I would still like it to work correctly if it were dialed too.

Will this add any delays to the call going out?

Add the speed dial as per my last reply using trunk format. The only delay will be OBi seizing the line, then dialling the digits.

My earlier reply about adding rules to digit maps will still work, but will add an extra 2 seconds delay compared to the speed dial.

ianobi

A few notes concerning speed dials:

Trunk format is fastest as it involves no digit maps.

Trunk format is useful for putting numbers in speed dials that digit maps would reject. So only people who know that speed dial number can actually use it. (Child proofing?)

Drawback: Trunk format speed dials only work from the phone port. They do not work from Obion/Obiapp via the OBiTALK network. To work from all endpoints the **x format needs to be used.