News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Long delay when dialing out

Started by PaulOF, September 08, 2012, 09:17:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulOF

Hi all,

I'm a bit of a newbie to OBi so go easy. I bought an OBI110 in the US and brought it to my dad's house in Ireland. I configured 2 US GV #s on it but it is programmed to dial out using the local POTS line by default. I am running all default settings (i.e. I haven't tweaked anything in the expert config etc). I am running firmware update 2711 (i.e. almost the newest).

The only problem is, when he dials out to a regular local #, there is a long delay of about 15 seconds before he hears a ring tone (for  a second or two he hears a US style ring tone but it quickly switches to the Irish style ring tone which is ok). But this delay is quite annoying, annoying to the point that anyone else using his phone invariably hangs up and dials again. Note that he gets a dial tone right away, that's not the problem.

A search of the forum indicates that maybe the solution lies with messing with the DigitMap parameter but Ireland, like most Euro countries (I think) has a lot of variability in phone number lengths (2 and 3 digit area codes (all beginning with 0) and 6 and 7 digit phone numbers, not counting international and 1800 calls) so this might seem difficult.

Any Advice appreciated, thanks in advance,

Paul

jimates

While trying to figure out how to fix it maybe try this.

Pressing # will connect the phone port directly to the POTS line. You will hear a second dial tone, which is that of your local telco. From there everything should be as if the Obi doesn't exist.

ianobi

Paul,

Good ole jimates has given a good practical solution while you think about this wordy long term solution  :)

Your assumptions are correct regarding the delays. In all of the default digit maps there is an xx. rule. This means "any number of digits". It is a catch-all rule for any numbers not matched by more specific rules in the digit map. The problem is that using xx. the Obi does not know when you have finished dialling, so it waits for ten seconds, then it assumes that no more digits are coming and sends the number out. For the Line Port this means 10 secs plus time to seize the line and send out the digits. The Obi defaults are all set up for North American number formats, so not much your dad dials is going to find a match. I'm in the UK, so I'm used to these problems.

Before we get into the complicated part: If your dad presses # after he dials any number, then this tells the Obi he has finished dialling and it will send the number out almost instantly.

First sort out the emergency numbers:
Select the Obi in Obi Dashboard, then Obi Expert Configuration, then Enter Obi Expert. In each case where you want to change a value, first uncheck both the boxes to the right of that value and leave them unchecked. When you have finished making changes on each page, press submit and wait a few minutes for the Obi to reboot.

Physical Interfaces > Phone > Phone Port > Digit Map
Delete 911 replace with 999|112

Physical Interfaces > Phone > Phone Port > OutBoundCallRoute
Delete 911 replace with 999|112

This rule in the OutboundCallRoute {(<#:>|999|112):li} makes 999|112 a special case and sends them directly to Line Port and out to your PSTN line with no action from digit maps. The rule also gives you PSTN dial tone if you press #. As per jimates post.

Here's a first attempt at numbers going out to POTS:

Physical Interfaces > Line > Line Port > Digit Map
Delete existing digit map and replace with:
(xxxxxxS4|xxxxxxxS4|0[1-9]xxxxxxxxS0|xx.)

This means that any six or seven digit numbers go out to line after a four second delay. Ten digit numbers starting with 0, but not 00, go out to line instantly. All other numbers use the xx. rule, so wait for the ten seconds.
This digit map can be further fine tuned for numbers your dad dials regularly.

To use the GV numbers you will have to dial **1 or **2, then the default digit maps should work ok.

There are ways to automate dialling the GV numbers with no ** codes. Also, there are further ways to cut the delays going out to line, but I reckon that's enough to take in for one post  :)

QBZappy

:D :D    I n t e r n a l  P r e s s  R e l e a s e     :D :D

Announcing registration for the following two week courses. Early registration encouraged. OBi university (college) credits offered for every successful OBi unit configuration. Courses beginning September 15, 2012. Upon successful completion you will obtain the prestigious "Wizard Pointy Hat" Certificate. This certificate accredits you to be an official member in good standing on this forum. Annual membership fess will be waived the first year. $1 per year thereafter.
Cost: Free (Courtesy of OBi forum)

Course offerings:
How to resolve local configuration issues encountered in Europe (instructor ianobi)
How to resolve local configuration issues encountered in Canada/USA (instructor azrobert)

Send your completed registration forms to GregoryZ (Administrator)
Send course instructor evaluations to the jimates (Dean)
Career placement pc44
Finance (QBZappy) Send membership fees here  :)

Currently looking for instructors for Australia, Asia, North Africa, Middle east. Send your resume to pc44.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

GregoryZ

OBi100, OBi110, OBi200, OBi202

ianobi

Nice one QBZappy  :)

I notice we get pointy hats and you get all the money  ::)

I'm already a member of the RonR School of Digit Map Engineering  :)

ProfTech

I won't pretend to be an expert when it comes to Non-US dialing, but you say you only hear the US style ring back for a second or two and the rest of the time you are listening to the Ir4eland style tones. If this is correct, I would think the Obi has already completed its dialing and has already connected your telephone set to the POTS line. Dialing # before the number as suggested will give you a more definitive answer, but it could also be that the Obi is not detecting a "Connect" when the phone company opens up the line. You might try changing the connect detection from "Assume connected after a short delay" to "None" as a test. If your POTS line offers polarity reversal that should be the best choice.

Ostracus

Quote from: ianobi on September 09, 2012, 11:03:07 AM
Nice one QBZappy  :)

I notice we get pointy hats and you get all the money  ::)

I'm already a member of the RonR School of Digit Map Engineering  :)

Ah, so you're going to graduate with a BAM (Bachelors of Applied Mapping)?

ianobi

I'm more likely to go insane before I graduate from that school  ::)

I note that QBZappy was not being as generous as I first thought. We don't get pointy hats, we just get a piece of paper with "Wizard Pointy Hat" printed on it  :)

QBZappy

ianobi Potter,

Complain to the dean (jimates).

PS any relation to ... Harry  :)
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

ianobi

This is not the first time that fact and fiction have got mixed up on this forum  :)

PaulOF

apologies for dragging this thread back to a serious mindset :-). Also apologies for taking so long to reply with a thank you for the awesome information contained herein but I was required to travel for my job at the last minute.

Great stuff ianobi, and jimates too. I know a number of folks have taken US OBis to the UK, I was half expecting to see a wiki entry somewhere on all the stuff to change. I did find this posting http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3203.0 and implemented most of his changes, I hope they're accurate?

So I did your suggestions ianobi, thanks a lot! There are some subtle differences between Ireland and the UK - Ireland uses RJ11 ports (yaay) and has 1800, 1890 etc US-style numbers, not 0800. There are also other 5 digit #s but none of these are dialed often so I suppose he'll get the usual 15s delay on those. Lastly 9 digit numbers starting with a 0 are also possible, so I modified your suggestion slightly and used the digit map below to give a 4s delay on 0 + 1-9 + 7 digits but a 0s delay on a 0 + 1-9 + 8 digits.

(xxxxxxS4|xxxxxxxS4|0[1-9]xxxxxxxS4|0[1-9]xxxxxxxxS0|xx.)

Thanks again,

Paul

PaulOF

Quote from: ProfTech on September 10, 2012, 08:00:03 PM
you say you only hear the US style ring back for a second or two and the rest of the time you are listening to the Ir4eland style tones. If this is correct, I would think the Obi has already completed its dialing and has already connected your telephone set to the POTS line. Dialing # before the number as suggested will give you a more definitive answer, but it could also be that the Obi is not detecting a "Connect" when the phone company opens up the line. You might try changing the connect detection from "Assume connected after a short delay" to "None" as a test. If your POTS line offers polarity reversal that should be the best choice.

For this the default is "None" and the other options are "Detect Speech" & "Detect Polarity Reversal". I guess I'll leave it as "None", thx.

ianobi

I'm glad you managed to fight your way past all the pointy hats to get to the end of the thread. We regulars need a little light relief from time to time  :)

I'm sure your digit map could be better designed. If you wish to post all the number formats used, then some of us will have a go. Matching patterns is what it is all about. Assuming local numbers never start with a 0 or a 1, how about:

([2-9]xxxxS4|[2-9]xxxxxS4|[2-9]xxxxxxS0|0[1-9]xxxxxxxS4|0[1-9]xxxxxxxxS0|xx.)

Five and six digit local numbers go to line after 4 second dealy.
Seven digit local numbers go to line with no delay.
Nine digit numbers starting with 0 go to line after 4 second delay.
Ten digit numbers starting with 0 got to line with no delay.
All other numbers go to line after 10 second delay.

Automatic routing of GV calls in US format 1xxxxxxxxxx can also be done. Let us know if you wish to fine tune more, or just have a go – theres lots of examples on this forum.

ctvi

I need to program up the OBI to ONLY dial 11 digit numbers.
no international
no 7 digit
no 4 digit
no 3 digit
ONLY 11 digit.
I would like to eliminate the 4 digit dial delay.