News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

sorry heres another porting question

Started by MonKENy, August 30, 2012, 10:36:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MonKENy

Its been asked a million times im sure BUT here goes again.

I was recommended to get the obi because i asked in another forum what they suggested for someone who wants to keep their landline # and get free calling. They suggested Obi+GV. I didnt know gv cant use a landline to port. (the forums made it seem like I could use my landline) So I had my roomate buy the Obi thinking landline could be ported I had it in my head it could be, and the group on the forums seemed to confirm that. I didnt realize its only mobile #'s that can be ported.

I have Charter as my landline and verizon as my mobile carrier

How do you guys suggest porting my land line to work with obi? We are going through some financial crunches and need to cut some bills. I figured obi+gv=free but now what? Keeping the land # was very important to my roomate because hes had it for so many years. How do I get my landline (or should I say home #?) to work now with obi?

QBZappy

MonKENy,

Welcome,

This is the round about way people are doing to port the land line number.
PSTN->TMobile (Any cell)->GV
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

MonKENy

ok so just use tmobile no matter what then? Whats the best way to get a phone to use? Do I have to even get a phone or is there a way to just bypass that?

jimates

You can get a sim card kit and use anyone's T-Mobile or unlocked phone to activate it. Then try to port it out.

CoalMinerRetired

Two more insights that might help:

1: A recent write up on how to do the landline to cell phone for as little as possible: http://michigantelephone.wordpress.com/2012/08/26/link-to-possible-method-of-porting-a-landline-phone-number-to-google-voice-for-free-well-except-for-the-20-that-google-voice-charges/  - Something this doesn't mention is TMobile stores will give away SIM cards at no cost to existing customers. If you know someone who has a spare tMob phone and is a current Tmob customer, this is another way to do the landline to mobile for no cost.

2. The least expensive pay-as-you-go Tmobile cell phones are not always sold in TMob retail stores. They are sold in RiteAid and CVS and Walgreens stores, and cost $19.99. And, important point, the retail boxes have "Monthy" listed in big lettering, and do not say not pay-as-you-go, but as TMob told me any monthly phone can be used as a pay-as-you-go.  Look for a Noika model 1616, or ask a local TMob store for the lowest cost phone they carry, and they will tell you all of the above.

MonKENy

Ok So I got a tmobile phone tonight from a coworker and just ordered the sim card so it should come in a few days. Ill post back when its all set up and see how this works.