News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Force callers on PSTN to press 1

Started by josetann, September 16, 2012, 05:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

josetann

OK, SP1 and SP2 are setup for Google Voice, and I want them to continue working as they currently do (someone calls, our phones immediately start ringing).  But the Line-in port...there's no CallerID on that line, and it's really only used for urgent situations (i.e. son's school calls my mobile #, gets no answer, then tries our PSTN number).  But...though it's on the Do Not Call list, we get multiple calls every week from telemarketers.  The most annoying is when they robo call 5+ times a day before someone is finally on the other end (and when you ask to speak to a supervisor, or get ANY info on them, they just hang up).

I figure...use the Obihai's Attendant to deal with these calls.  Have all calls coming from the Line port go to the Attendant, have a special greeting that says something like "We are on the Do Not Call List, if you are a telemarketer hang up now; otherwise press 1 and your call will be connected."

So I've read all the documentation, tried to search the forum...seems that this is doable except for one small issue.  If the person on the other end does nothing, after being prompted three times, it simply rings the phones anyway!  Which is the exact opposite of what I want it to do.  Ideally it'd just hang up, at the very least it should just sit there and do anything EXCEPT ring our phones.

Ideas?

jimates

NumberOnNoInput
In the case that the caller does not enter any option from the top level menu after the menu has been annouced for 3 times, the AA directs the caller to the number specified in this parameter. If this number is not specified, the AA simply terminates the current call

If the AA is not functioning as above you can do this:
Get another google voice number
List it as the NumberOnNoInput
Set that google voice number to do what suits you best using the caller id of the incoming service.
Example:
Go directly to voicemail with a custom greeting.
Block the calls (plays a sits tone and a number not in service message)

You can also do the above using your current google voice numbers if you don't expect to call from one to the other normally.

Or you can send the call to any number you want such as free 411.

josetann

Another case of documentation lagging behind current features?  I promise, I downloaded the manual just today and it says "If, after three opportunites, the caller does not choose any of the options, the call will be routed to the OBi's PHONE port and ring the attached telephone."

I'll fool around with it a bit later.  I really want to get it working after the first try or two, so I don't burn up all my mobile time testing this.  Thanks!

jimates

Actually I found that in the web based version, but I just checked the link to the pdf and it is the same. bottom of page 116.

Version 26.08.12 – 26 August 2012

josetann

Ah...the manual I downloaded was only ten pages long, named OBiTALKDeviceManagement.pdf .  Now that I knew there was a more complete manual somewhere, I was able to find it and yup...I think I see a reference to it on page 116 like you said.  I've got some studying to do...if I figure it out I'll try to remember to post back, in case it helps someone in a similar situation.