News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

'pooling' SPs of different obi's

Started by rsriram22, September 20, 2012, 07:57:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rsriram22

before someone says buy an obi202, i got a question - is there a way to use a 'vacant' sp from a different obi (part of the COT), to route calls? i have 1 obi (obi110) at a different location, which uses just sp1 and a 2nd obi (obi100) that uses both SPs (callcentric inbound on SP1 and localphone outbound on SP2).

I thought i can use SP2 from the first obi, to say , subscribe to E911(maybe from Anveo)...

Any one recommend a digit plan/single stage shorcut for doing it?

and by the way, I have already configured single stage dialing per the famous post by RonR on my obi110 (http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=1103.0)
have two 100s and one 110

QBZappy

Quote from: rsriram22 on September 20, 2012, 07:57:06 AM
i have 1 obi (obi110) at a different location, which uses just sp1 and a 2nd obi (obi100) that uses both SPs (callcentric inbound on SP1 and localphone outbound on SP2).

I thought i can use SP2 from the first obi, to say , subscribe to E911(maybe from Anveo)...

If the OBi is physically at a different address, it defeats the purpose of E911.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

rsriram22

probably. that was one use-case. another could be to use it for international calling..

Hortoristic

I use an "off-site" 2nd OBI100 to handle a UK DID - when someone calls that DID, the OBI at our rental apartment forwards the call to our OBI110 in my house.  The rental apartment just uses GV on SP1.

I did just buy an OBI202 - but since I mess with the settings so much, it probably would have been cheaper and nearly as easy to just manage another OBI100.

jimates

I think rsriram22 is more concerned with placing outgoing calls through the second Obi.

I am sure it can be done but I will have to think about the configuration. It would work like calling from an obion app through a gateway, but I am sure you would have  to prepend a speed dial number when dialing.

rsriram22

yep, that's the idea, jimates.. good to know that it is feasible...i will have to play around a bit to be able to achieve this I suppose..

come to think of it, single stage dialing may help me - some thing like following to dial out of SP2 on obi '3':

3 **2 <the actual international dialing # goes here>

am in the going the right path or should i setup a gateway?(how do i do that?)

jimates

What you want will work if you want to depend on the Obitalk Service and with single stage dialing through any Obi trunk set up.

When dialing 3*911 from your Obi, the remote Obi will dial 911 using SP2 (with the speed dial of the remote Obi being 3) as long as all the related digit maps and outbound call routes accept "911" as valid.

I have been on a mission to buy my kids 2 iPhone 4's on ebay for the last few days. Now that I have that out of the way I will experiment with it.

jimates

Working on it.
I successfully set a remote Obi to dial an alternate number when I press 5*911 from my main Obi.

I have to get the remote Obi's Obitalk service to pass the exact 9 1 1 through.

rsriram22

in the case of 911,ideally, i just key in just 911 on the local obi and it goes out through SP2 (say, anveo) on remote obi and when it goes to 911, my local phone # is sent so that they have the phone # and also related smart911.com info as well.

basically, the whole process would be transparent to the caller.

thanks again for taking time out in helping/guiding me..

jimates

One problem might be the possibility of call back. If the 911 is placed with Anveo, your number won't be displayed. The displayed number is regulated by Anveo.

I originally thought that using Anveo I could designate which number was displayed, but a discussion on this forum said other wise. So I dumped Anveo.

rsriram22

that is news to me that we cannot control caller id when a call goes through anveo to 911 (am assuming same must be the case with callcentric or anyother provider).. hmm 

jimates

Actually for what you want, this is the best solution. Everything is based on your incoming caller id. So you can call 911 from your google voice number and the call is routed to your local call center. You don't need a separate service just for 911.

http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=3916.0

rsriram22

thanks for pointing me to that gv911 thread!! there are so many things one can do with obi !!!!!