News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google voice and Youmail?

Started by Dan_G, November 06, 2012, 10:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_G

I have never used GV as a VOIP provider, so I'm hoping some one here can help me understand how it functions as such.

Typically Google Voice does not allow for alternative voicemail services like Youmail due to GV pulling the call back prior to it ending up in the target devices voicemail. I see that the OBI100 supports no answer forwarding and busy forwarding, so does that mean that I can indeed use a third party voicemail service like Youmail? Since it supports two VOIP accounts can I set each VOIP line to have its own youmail account (IE, does the OBI100 forward the call with the proper individual VOIP line ID info?)

Thanks!

giqcass

If you can adjust when voicemail is sent to Youmail then set it to 25 seconds and it will pick up before Google Voice.   Some Cell phone carriers let you adjust this by entering a special codes.  Others will not. I have done this on Sprint in the past and on Verizon.  Google Voice picks up at 30 seconds even though it may not always appear that way because of the time it take to forward the call.  Google voice will not let you forward to Youmail directly because you would have no way to verify it.  I'm not sure whether the OBI will send the correct caller ID but that shouldn't be a problem if you have a cellphone in the mix because the cellphone will do the forwarding part.  Google Voice will forward to the cell phone and the OBI.  If after 25 seconds you don't pick up either phone the cell will forward to Youmail.  Let us know what carrier you have and I'll try to get you the correct code.
Long live our new ObiLords!