News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help please: landline+OBi100 kills DSL

Started by 13183s, September 30, 2012, 03:07:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

13183s

For some reason, I need to keep the AT&T landline. So I connect OBi100 via a RJ-11 splitter to the incoming phone line and then phone A for GV. In the other room, I connect phone B directly into the AT&T phone outlet. Unfortunately, every time I plugged the phone B, the DSL stopped so that I had to unplugged it. Interestingly, although DSL died, but it seemed the phone A from OBi100 was still alive.

I wonder how to use OBi as my primary phone and meanwhile keep the regular landline. Thank you so much.

I am using TP-Link8960N modem/Router.

QBZappy

Quote from: 13183s on September 30, 2012, 03:07:54 PM
I connect OBi100 via a RJ-11 splitter to the incoming phone line

Oh Oh, The OBi100 is not intended to be plugged into a phone line. The OBi110 is what you need in order to use a PSTN line.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

13183s

Sorry for the confusion. The OBi100 is connected correctly as OBi manual indicates and it works; it is not plugged into the incoming phone line.

My question is how to make local calls with my AT&T service, while OBi100/GV for long distance. After I successfully set up OBi100 and was able to use it, I plugged another phone into the regular AT&T phone outlet in the other room and then DSL died and I cannot use internet. I have tried to use RJ-11 splitter, so that the GV and AT&T were in the same room, but same problem with dead DSL afterward.

Thank you so much.

QBZappy

13183s,

Don't you need a line filter in front of that phone?
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

LeoKing

I suggest you try a different phone cord and if you still have the same problem, try another phone.

Rick

Quote from: 13183s on September 30, 2012, 04:17:27 PM
Sorry for the confusion. The OBi100 is connected correctly as OBi manual indicates and it works; it is not plugged into the incoming phone line.

My question is how to make local calls with my AT&T service, while OBi100/GV for long distance. After I successfully set up OBi100 and was able to use it, I plugged another phone into the regular AT&T phone outlet in the other room and then DSL died and I cannot use internet. I have tried to use RJ-11 splitter, so that the GV and AT&T were in the same room, but same problem with dead DSL afterward.

Thank you so much.

Let's review the situation, I think you're confusing things.

The OBi100 hooks up to your internet connection.  Your internet connection is supplied by DSL.  Therefore, here's the way I see your connection should be:

Phone line comes into the house and feeds all your phone jacks.  Each device connected to the phone jacks likely has a DSL filter on it.

The DSL modem is likely connected to one outlet with a special DSL splitter.  That DSL splitter allows one connection to a telephone, and another to the DSL modem.

Off of the DSL modem you should have an internet router, which then sends wired / wireless internet throughout your home.

The OBi100 is designed to provide you with access via the internet.  Therefore, the OBi100 should be connected to your router.  It should NOT be connected to any phone lines at all.

Then, you plug a PHONE into the OBi100, and that phone should work on Google Voice via the internet.

Therefore, you now have phone service two ways.  1) On the single phone that is plugged into the OBi100 and 2) On all the other phones connected to the regular POTS system.

If you want multiple phones in your home using the OBi and Google Voice, then you have several options:

1) Switch to an OBi110 and connect it to your home phone line, which will then provide you with the ability to use your POTS line or your GV line.

2) Connect a wireless telephone base to the OBi100.  Then, all the phones powered off of that base will work with GV, whereever you put them in the home.

If you have your OBi100 plugged into anything other than the internet and a phone line (i.e. plugged into a wall outlet), that will mess things up.

Hope this helps.

AWEstun

you are wanting to do what i have done.

the phone line running thru the house walls is a set of 2 pairs, 4 total wires (pair 1 [L1] is red and green, pair 2 [L2] is yellow and black).

the att (POTS [analog]) and DSL (digital) are on the first pair [L1] (red and green wires).

both att (POTS [analog]) and DSL (digital) can be on the same pair [L1] as they are 2 different types of signals and will not clash.

you want to run the obi signal on the second pair [L2] (yellow and black).

to accomplish this you need a L1,L2,L1+L2 type splitter/joiner at the injection telephone jack where the obi is located and each room with a receiving telephone jack where you want to extract att POTS/DSL on L1 and obi on L2.

the L1,L2,L1+L2 splitter/joiner adapter costs about $5 at the hardware store.

a normal splitter wont work as it will trying to put both att POTS/DSL and obi on the same pair [L1] (red and green wires).  this is what is killing your DSL as the att POTS (analog) and obi (analog) are the same type of signal and are clashing on the same pair [L1] (red and green).

at the telephone demarc box outside, usually near the electric meter, make sure that the second pair [L2] (yellow and black) are not connected to the terminal else it could short out the obi.

if your house telephone jack wiring is not daisy chained from one telephone jack to the next and you have cables from each telephone jack inside running to the demarc box outside then you need to connect all the yellow wires together with a wire nut and all the black wires together with a wire nut.

this way every room in the house that has a telephone jack with a L1,L2,L1+L2 splitter/joiner will get the obi signal on the second pair [L2] (yellow and black) and att POTS/DSL on the first pair [L1] (red and green).

you might have to check each telephone jack inside the house to make sure it is wired correctly behind the face plate or a badly wired telephone jack could cause a short and keep everything from working correctly.

L1,L2,L1+L2 telephone jack splitter/joiner
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=l1,l2,l1%2Bl2+telephone+jack&hl=en&biw=1232&bih=1009&tbm=isch&tbnid=OR5d18RelCY1sM:&imgrefurl=http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php%3Ff%3D2%26t%3D11205&docid=XSH9UNzntW7I-M&imgurl=http://www.aok.org/mymeetings/images/line1-line2-splitter.jpg&w=345&h=235&ei=BbxpUOmGJaz9iQK2koHoCA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=784&vpy=324&dur=11529&hovh=185&hovw=272&tx=84&ty=207&sig=115486724512144917506&page=1&tbnh=161&tbnw=225&start=0&ndsp=30&ved=1t:429,r:10,s:0,i:101

13183s

Thank you guys for all your kind help. I am trying the options and will update soon.