News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Blind Transfer Usage

Started by Thunnderman, November 28, 2011, 07:37:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunnderman

Can anyone explain how to activate the blind transfer?

The reason why I asked this question as my understanding this is a function that the caller won't be aware the existing call had been transferred to another number as he/she just hearing the original ring tone even the transferred call with different type of ring tone and the Obi will bridge his/her line when the transferred call connected successfully. Am I correct? If not, how to achieve above scenario?

In my case, I forwarded all call intentionally to other number in SP2 to LI(1234567890) but I found that the Obi answered the call once it started to transfer the call as I experienced the timer started to count in the phone which generated this call. How to get rid of this?

RonR

Blind Transfer is used to transfer an existing call on the PHONE Port to another number:

1.  While in a call on the PHONE Port, press the FLASH button on your phone.  This will place the caller on hold and you will receive a dialtone.

2. Dial *98 and wait for a second dialtone.

3. Dial the number you wish the called party to be transferred to and wait for a confirmation tone.

4. Hang up.

5. The called party will hear the newly called number ringing.

Stewart

Quote from: Thunnderman on November 28, 2011, 07:37:08 AM
Can anyone explain how to activate the blind transfer?
You are using forwarding, not blind transfer.

Quote from: Thunnderman on November 28, 2011, 07:37:08 AMIn my case, I forwarded all call intentionally to other number in SP2 to LI(1234567890) but I found that the Obi answered the call once it started to transfer the call as I experienced the timer started to count in the phone which generated this call. How to get rid of this?
For the LINE Port, if your phone company (or other service that you have connected to the port) provides a polarity reversal on answer, set DetectOutboundConnectMethod to Detect polarity reversal.  Otherwise, set DetectOutboundConnectMethod to Detect speech.  Either method is imperfect; the caller will continue to hear the original ringing tone if the call is not answered, even if something goes wrong, e.g. there is a busy signal, an announcement that your phone is out of range, etc.

Thunnderman

Thanks Stewart, it's work by following your instruction.

RonR, also thanks for your explanation of the usage of blind transfer.

Thunnderman

Stewart, I found one draw back here is no connection tone when placing a call until the other end answered the call if I changed to 'Detect Speech' or 'Detect Polarity'. Any clue to fix it it?

Stewart

Quote from: Thunnderman on December 02, 2011, 07:51:36 AM
Stewart, I found one draw back here is no connection tone when placing a call until the other end answered the call if I changed to 'Detect Speech' or 'Detect Polarity'. Any clue to fix it it?
Sorry, I did not realize that -- my OBi is used just as a bridge and for its tricks; I have nothing connected to the Phone port, except for testing.

IMO, this is an OBi bug.  Just as with a not-yet-answered VoIP call, it should play call progress tones or announcements that appear on the POTS line.  Possibly, if you report this to OBi support, they will fix it in a future firmware release.

Sorry, I can't think of a workaround.

GGellerVDOTel

In testing this "undocumented" feature, I have also found that any calls transferred using this method are NOT using the original caller's callerID information. Only the callerID of the OBi device is displayed to the receiving caller.

Comparing this against other similar ATAs I find this to be an OBi bug as well.

Thanks,

Glenn Geller
VDO-Ph International