News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Are outgoing calls free?

Started by northernarizona, October 05, 2012, 06:27:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northernarizona

Hello!

I am unfamiliar with this device and the whole concept in general.  The only experience I have is recently having purchased the Linksys PAP2. I learned I cannot make outgoing calls for free with this device.  :o

I hope to purchase the Obi202 this weekend.

Are outgoing calls for free? I know the website says something like "free or close to free".   I'm sorry if this has been discussed.  I tried searching the forum and found no real information on the cost of the outgoing calls ( I have a sipgate account).

Any other cool tips would be gratefully accepted!  Thanks!   :)

Lavarock7

With Googlevoice, outbound calls to the US and Canada are free. You can pay to make international calls, but there may be slightly cheaper rates elsewhere. Inbound are free and the telephone number supplied is free. You may or may not get a telephone number in the area code you want. In my case, I didn't care that the number was not local to me, so I got one where my Mom could call me for free because it was local to her and she didn't have a cellphone or long distance service. The Obi devuices are the only ones I know that interface with Googlevoice.

There are some providers other than Googlevoice who have free inbound and very reasonable outbound rates. Those providers also work with an Obi. One provider (Voip.Ms) we set up on my sisters unit has 7/10's of a cent rates to the UK and she doesn't mind paying like 30 cents for 45 minutes of calling.

If you want to keep your current telephone number, it may or may not be possible with Googlevoice. It certainly is possible with other providers, but then you may have to pay a slight charge per call to call out.

There are many options and you have to decide which is more important.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

LeoKing

I am running 2 OBi110's instead of 1 OBi202 because I like the idea of having the line ports. All my normal outgoing calls in the US are free (I do not call to Canada because I don't know anyone there).

Edit: I forgot to say I am running 2 GV's on each OBI110.

jimates

The Obi, like the PAP2, is a device that allows you to use a regular telephone for voip calling. You need to subscribe to a voip provider, or google voice. The device does not change any restrictions the provider has, such as charges for calling.

northernarizona

jimates, thank you. So it is up to each individual provider then.  :)

jimates

Quote from: northernarizona on October 05, 2012, 08:20:24 PM
jimates, thank you. So it is up to each individual provider then.  :)
Yes

northernarizona

Leoking, thanks! Good to know I can use more than one to increase the port nubers!

northernarizona

Lavarock7,

Thank you for the verification!  And thanks for the heads up on the area code choices and info!  Thanks all of you. It helps me in guiding my choices!   :)

LeoKing

Quote from: northernarizona on October 05, 2012, 08:23:57 PM
Leoking, thanks! Good to know I can use more than one to increase the port nubers!

Yep, I am running 2 GV services on each OBi110. I also have MagicJack Plus before I bought the OBi110's so I connected the phone port on the MJ+ to the Line Port on each OBi110 using an RJ11 splitter. By connecting the MJ+ to the OBi's this way, I could use the MagicJack 911 with the OBi's and also, I could use the same phone for both MJ+ and the OBi110. That's the reason I preferred the OBi110.

northernarizona

Cool idea LeoKing!  I think I'll try that as well. It is good to have 911.  Can that be done with the Obi202?  Can a fax be sent with either device?  I know the 202 has the t.38. capability.  Do you know if it works on voip?

QBZappy

Quote from: northernarizona on October 06, 2012, 10:33:42 AM
I know the 202 has the t.38. capability.  Do you know if it works on voip?

AFAIK no one has reported any success with T.38 faxing.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

jimates

Quote from: northernarizona on October 06, 2012, 10:33:42 AM
Cool idea LeoKing!  I think I'll try that as well. It is good to have 911.  Can that be done with the Obi202?  Can a fax be sent with either device?  I know the 202 has the t.38. capability.  Do you know if it works on voip?
The Obi202 does not have the line input for PSTN type service (MJ).

northernarizona

"AFAIK no one has reported any success with T.38 faxing".  Dang, well, ..good to know.  :)   

Thank you for letting me know. I was able to fax when I had my Magicjack service.  I wonder if I could if I tried LeoKing's setup.

-----------------------------

"The Obi202 does not have the line input for PSTN type service (MJ)."   I see! Thank you!   I think I'll take a closer look at the Obi110.  Sounds like that may be the way to go for me.  :)

LeoKing

I haven't done a single fax in years (I did the email attachments instead ). I just tried to send a 5 page fax to my friend's fax machine through MJ+ connected to the OBi110 Line Port and the fax went through fine. Like jimates said, only the OBi110 has the Line Port and that's the reason I bought the 110's instead of the 202.

QBZappy

@northernarizona,

We can still send faxes without T.38.

Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

lhm.

I have an Obi100 and send out faxes just fine through GV.

Billt928

Quote from: northernarizona on October 06, 2012, 11:10:37 AM
"AFAIK no one has reported any success with T.38 faxing".  Dang, well, ..good to know.  :)   

Thank you for letting me know. I was able to fax when I had my Magicjack service.  I wonder if I could if I tried LeoKing's setup.

-----------------------------

"The Obi202 does not have the line input for PSTN type service (MJ)."   I see! Thank you!   I think I'll take a closer look at the Obi110.  Sounds like that may be the way to go for me.  :)

After a very long time working with callcentric and obi support I can report that T38 is working for me just fine for me now

QBZappy

Billt928,

You get the big cigar. What is the secret recipe, and why did this take so long?