News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

fade - loss of parts of words - directional bias

Started by briankelly, October 12, 2012, 10:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

briankelly

I think there are a variety of forum descriptions trying to articulate what is happening with this problem. Despite numerous adjustments to gain and impedance I still have this issue. Gain and impedance DO have an effect but there is something depper going on here.

Whenever I call someone who speaks softly or their connection is low the Obi 110 tends to bias its half duplex audio toward me meaning that despite the fact that I'm not talking the internal electronics of the Obi locks its single direction audio in the direction of: me toward them. Therefore when the distant party speaks they need to overcome that bias (so it will switch). The bias does not seem neutral and seems VERY sensitive toward my side. Despite reducing the outbound gain on my telephone (6757i's) the bias remains. The only way to make the Obi more sensitive to the distant end seems to be to mute my phone (shutting the rtp stream) completely. I believe this tendency requires either a new menu setting in the OBI or an adjustment of how this is programmed in the Obi firmware.

obe_don_kenobe

I have exactly the opposite effect happening. I am in a conversation and I can hear the person on the other end but then suddenly they can't hear me. I get the dreaded "Your breaking up" followed by "are you there?" and then a hang up on their end. Needless to say this is very frustrating and cannot say for sure, but the Obi worked great the first 2-3 weeks I got it in July, but the problem got worse after that. I am wondering if a firmware update caused this. I'd welcome any thoughts or musings, solutions on the matter.

Network:
Cable
Average d/l 27mbit/s
Average u/l 4.9mbit/s